Thread: PE Suggestion

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

PE Suggestion

I just saw the thread about Finch posted by someone who was totally unfamiliar with the band, and it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a section on the site with links to some useful things for people who are new to some of the less-widely known prog - things like the GEPR, those old Prog FAQs if they still exist somewhere, etc. (with a note that they all may be out of date but have some very useful core information.

I cut my teeth on those information sources, and I know a lot of other people here did too. It might let people then start threads where they're not totally wading into the shallow end when discussing a band, etc. Not that they shouldn't, but it just might help people feel like they're up to speed faster, and make for fewer initial descriptions/discussions of bands. Not that there's anything wrong with it, just saying. If I were a newbie I'd be glad to see them.

Suspended
    ^^ I appreciate where you are coming from, but it would be a lot of work for somebody. Also, regarding information about certain bands, where do you draw the line at who gets included? If you have too many entries, you need a search function, and then you ask why the person would not just go to ProgArchives database or to Wikipedia, or do a blanket search on PE.

Not trying to be too negative here. If the feature was there, I'm sure I would use it. Like a lot of other things in this world, it would be nice to have, as long as someone considers it worth the time and effort to set it up.

Before making a thread I use the search function to make sure I'm not creating just another thread allready there. Everybody should do that.

I would love if the search button as default only searched in titles, and as advanced searched the lot = opposite of what its doing now..

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Before making a thread I use the search function to make sure I'm not creating just another thread allready there. Everybody should do that.

I would love if the search button as default only searched in titles, and as advanced searched the lot = opposite of what its doing now..
    Definitely. When I started the Procol Harum thread, I knew the band would most likely have been mentioned many times. the important thing was to find out whether there was already a thread specifically devoted to PH.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    it occurred to me that it might be nice to have a section on the site with links to some useful things for people who are new to some of the less-widely known prog - things like the GEPR, those old Prog FAQs if they still exist somewhere, etc. (with a note that they all may be out of date but have some very useful core information.
    It's been my experience that people will come to PE to ask a question regardless if all the information is readily available elsewhere on the internet.

But seriously, that's what the community is for, no? In that particular thread, the OP is not asking for information, just sharing something he/she discovered. This has led to several others participating. However, if the OP asks for information, maybe a link to PA's database, Gnosis, a band's homepage, or elsewhere would be helpful.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It's been my experience that people will come to PE to ask a question regardless if all the information is readily available elsewhere on the internet.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

But seriously, that's what the community is for, no? In that particular thread, the OP is not asking for information, just sharing something he/she discovered. This has led to several others participating. However, if the OP asks for information, maybe a link to PA's database, Gnosis, a band's homepage, or elsewhere would be helpful.
    You're right. But my intention wasn't really to steer people away from starting threads or searching - it was to share some useful resources that I think a lot of people might never come across on their own.

Also, it could just be a sticky thread.
    Last edited by JKL2000; 02-28-2016 at 08:12 PM.