Page 106 of 106 FirstFirst ... 65696102103104105106
Results 2,626 to 2,650 of 2650

Thread: The 2016 NFL Discussion Thread

Ohhh man this logic is killing me. Ok, so Atlanta deserves to lose because they couldn't stop NE in OT is apparently what folks are saying. But what if NE couldn't stop Atlanta either (had Atlanta gotten the ball first)? So now that makes Atlanta the greatest team in the world, and NE just another SB loser? After 60 minutes we were deadlocked. All we know now is that for that ONE drive, NE's offence out-played ATL's defence. But we'll never know given the same opportunity of a won coin toss, how Atlanta's offense would have done. No matter what you say about the defence having ability to score...the PRIMARY scoring on a team is done by the offence. Only one team got to play their offence based on a coin toss.

Because I like forcing a team to drive the length of the field to win the game,>>

Great, except only one team got that opportunity!

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Ok, maybe lets approach this a different way: what exactly is the objection to letting both offences touch the ball at least once? And why is the current system better?
    Because there is no advantage to having the ball first.

Frankly, there wasn't an advantage to having the ball first under the old system (when you would win with a FG).

In both instances, the kicking team wins the majority of overtime games that don't end in ties, albeit only slightly.

Ohhh man this logic is killing me. Ok, so Atlanta deserves to lose because they couldn't stop NE in OT is apparently what folks are saying.
    Atlanta deserved to lose because their offense and coaching was so bad that they blew a 25 point 2nd-half lead. You're hung up on the overtime rules? You can't possibly be serious.

So Atlanta drives and gets a score, then is it sudden death? But then it is back to square one, so then why not keep it like it is. You would have to have something like the college system and the players would never go for something like that. You have to remember everything in football is collectively bargained. I believe that the players had concerns about the recent changes to the overtime rules based on safety concerns (and they don't get overtime pay ).
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Stephen Hawking

I'd like to see the rule where, regardless of the outcome of the opening drive in OT, the other team gets the ball once to try and match it. After that, it's sudden death...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

>>Atlanta deserved to lose because their offense and coaching was so bad that they blew a 25 point 2nd-half lead. You're hung up on the overtime rules? You can't possibly be serious.>>

OMG, do you even watch football?? LOL 90% of NFL games have big swings....comes from adjustments and so on. Go ahead, look at any week you want and check the half time score compared to the end of the game. It doesn't matter WHEN you get your points during that 60 minutes. Or are you weighing points at the end of the game as more valid? NE got 28, ATL got 28. Nothing else matters. Unless you want me to argue that a team that looked and played as bad as NE in the first half shouldn't have even been let out on the field for the second half, they were such a disgrace. Why not end the game at half time?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I'd like to see the rule where, regardless of the outcome of the opening drive in OT, the other team gets the ball once to try and match it. After that, it's sudden death...
    I agree. Or even just let the teams play the full 15. It's the super bowl, there's no next week to make players tired for.

OK. I think the OT rule sucks but still, Atlanta had plenty of chances to put the game away in regulation. They got the ball back every time NE scored. I've seen swings in momentum but that collapse was one for the ages. You can gripe about them losing the game as soon as they lost the second toss, but they had failed on so many levels by then it just didn't fucking matter.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

>>Atlanta deserved to lose because their offense and coaching was so bad that they blew a 25 point 2nd-half lead. You're hung up on the overtime rules? You can't possibly be serious.>>

OMG, do you even watch football?? LOL 90% of NFL games have big swings.
    There have been 51 super bowls. This is the first in which a team trailing by more than 10 points - at any point in the game - has ever come back to win the game. And they came back from 25 points in the second half. The probability of a comeback in an NFL game from that point was 99.5%. One in 200.

Not sure how good at math you are, but 1 in 200 is not 90%. It's .05%.

Hopefully now that the math has been cleared up for you, you can apologize for so grossly misunderstanding the issue.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Atlanta had plenty of chances to put the game away in regulation. They got the ball back every time NE scored. I've seen swings in momentum but that collapse was one for the ages. You can gripe about them losing the game as soon as they lost the second toss, but they had failed on so many levels by then it just didn't fucking matter.
    Yep. Make one stop on defense in 4th quarter. Yeah, they were gassed but its not like the offense hadn't given them a 25 point cushion. Run the ball in field goal range toward the end of the game instead of having your QB making 7-step drops for a pass. It was their game to lose and they did so even before they lost the toss in OT.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yep. Make one stop on defense in 4th quarter. Yeah, they were gassed but its not like the offense hadn't given them a 25 point cushion. Run the ball in field goal range toward the end of the game instead of having your QB making 7-step drops for a pass. It was their game to lose and they did so even before they lost the toss in OT.
    The offense gave them a 17 point cushion.

Atlanta's defense did much more than anybody could have or had any right ot expect out of them. The defense was heroic. It was the offense that let them down.

Ok so a championship soccer game is tied and it gos in to penalty kicks. Team that wins toss gets to go first. If they score, it's over they win, other team doesn't get a penalty kick. Sound fair? Hell, if you want a pk, then have goalie save the first PK, that's part of the game too!
    the problem with that is that in Soccer it is *one play*. Rarely does any team score TDs in *one play*; it takes several plays during the duration of a drive to score a TD
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Cheese cleaning house ---- James Starks & Sam Shields gone.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Call a spade a spade.

Brady is the most successful and accomplished QB in all of NFL history. The modern NFL game is much tougher competition than in the decades before, making the kind of dynasty run that is unprecedented, with 7 SB appearances and 5 wins. There is simply nothing that compares.
    And the cheating of the Patriots is well documented. Conveniently forgetting that, right?

And Brady was terrible in a couple of Super Bowls. Conveniently forgetting about that, right?

Manning was a much better QB in the regular season. Conveniently forgetting about that, right?

Montana never lost two super Bowls. Conveniently forgetting about that, right?

Absent two of the worst coaching decisions in NFL history, Brady would have four SB losses - tied with Biggest Loser Jim Kelley. Conveniently forgetting about that, right?

What a complete and total joke your analysis was. Bury it, please. It's been stinking up this thread for two days.

There are at least 5 QBs better than Brady.

oh Facey, Facey... you are a nuisance aren't you?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Facey is in the process of building a Nest(or) here.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The mask does occasionally slip a little
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Nailed it!!

But, you'll soon get the Barbarino response: Who? Wha? Where?

Steelers sign Antonio Brown to a 5 year extension!!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Hell, it's almost time for 2017 thread!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Seahawks or Patriots?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Hell, it's almost time for 2017 thread!
    I usually wait for the combine to start, but...

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...991#post673991

**THIS THREAD CLOSED**