Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Iron Maiden!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I saw something about a 2CD Iron Maiden compilation called Alexander the Great. Is this actually some kind of tribute album?

I thought instead of starting a new thread I'd resurrect and old IM thread and this one seems as good as any other.

Got Nights Of The Dead: Legacy Of The Beast live in Mexico City. It's only cd, not dvd which really needs to be done as the visuals look stunning in the book that comes with it that details the thought process of how this show was conceived. First part was war, the second religion and the third was the hit's and encore.

Hearing The Wickerman always reminds me that I may have had a Mandela Effect thing going on as I remember the radio edit had a different chorus, with the words Thy Will Be Done in the middle of the Your Time Will Come. Couldn't seem to find it when I was looking a while ago.

Nice to have a song from A Matter Of Life And Death on there, I still don't know why they didn't do a dvd of that show. Or at least, like with Dance Of Death there's a full production video out there. Well, I think that wasn't released but they usually do the whole nine yards since Bruce rejoined the band. They are very good at taking my money and I ain't the only sucker. They tell really good stories and while they are "stuck" in their songwriting, which really hasn't changed since day one, I still dig them because of those stories.

I've never heard of Michael Kenney who plays the keys. Nicko is way underrated. Dude is all over the place.

Wish I had seen this one but oh well, can't see them all.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    Nicko is way underrated. Dude is all over the place.
    Damn Straight! And he can groove with the best of them -

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoony View Post
    I've never heard of Michael Kenney who plays the keys.
    He's 'Arry's bass tech. Has been since the very beginning. After the band's flirtation with guitar synths on Somewhere In Time and the corresponding Somewhere On Tour, 'Arry decided it was probably better just play any synth parts he wanted in the music on keyboards, and have Micheal play them backstage during the show.

Michael also played Eddie in the Women In Uniform video:

He said that when they were shooting the bit with the nurses, he sat up so quickly, he hit his head on the camera lens. That's probably why the image freeze frames just before. He said it hurt, but he kept going because they had to film the rest of the bits for the video, so finally like an hour or so later, he takes off the Eddie mask, and found his face was covered in blood! Apparently, the whack on the camera gave him a bloody nose!

I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

^^ Why is Bruce wailing? It doesn't seem to fit, IMHO.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Very cool, thanks for that. Battling the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

I can't imagine a world without Iron Maiden, they seem to be indestructible. As a teenager I loved the first seven albums and thought they were extremely cool, now I've moved on but I like the fact that they're still there and manage to be cool in their own unique way.

I'm a bit puzzled that they still work with Kevin Shirley, especially after having worked so many years with Martin Birch. Something just doesn't sound right to my ears on some of the records Shirley did with them. Maybe it's because there are 3 guitars and less sonic space than on the old albums.

cd1.jpg

We are thrilled to announce the release of Iron Maiden’s 17th studio album ‘Senjutsu’ coming Sept 3rd.

1. Senjutsu (Smith/Harris) 8:20
    2. Stratego (Gers/Harris) 4:59
    3. The Writing On The Wall (Smith/Dickinson) 6:13
    4. Lost In A Lost World (Harris) 9:31
    5. Days Of Future Past (Smith/Dickinson) 4:03
    6. The Time Machine (Gers/Harris) 7:09
    7. Darkest Hour (Smith/Dickinson) 7:20
    8. Death Of The Celts (Harris) 10:20
    9. The Parchment (Harris) 12:39
    10. Hell On Earth (Harris) 11:19

Senjutsu will be released on the following formats and available to pre-order from all good music retailers starting Wednesday July 21st:

Standard 2CD Digipak
    Deluxe 2CD Book Format
    Deluxe heavyweight 180G Triple Black Vinyl
    Special Edition Triple Silver & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
    Special Edition Triple Red & Black Marble Vinyl (from selected retailers)
    Super Deluxe Boxset featuring CD, Blu-Ray and Exclusive Memorabilia
    Digital album (streaming and download)

Steve says “We chose to record at Guillaume Tell Studio in France again as the place has such a relaxed vibe. The setup there is perfect for our needs; the building used to be a cinema and has a really high ceiling so there’s a great acoustic sound. We recorded this album in the same way we did The Book Of Souls in that we’d write a song, rehearse it and then put it down together straight away while it was all fresh in our minds. There’s some very complex songs on this album which took a lot of hard work to get them exactly as we wanted them to sound, so the process was at times very challenging, but Kevin is great at capturing the essence of the band and I think it was worth the effort! I’m very proud of the result and can’t wait for fans to hear it.”

Bruce continues, “We’re all really excited about this album. We recorded it back in early 2019 during a break in the Legacy tour so we could maximize our touring yet still have a long set up period before release to prepare great album art and something special as a video. Of course the pandemic delayed things more - so much for the best laid plans – or should that be ‘strategies’!? The songs are very varied, and some of them are quite long. There’s also one or two songs which sound pretty different to our usual style, and I think Maiden fans will be surprised - in a good way, I hope!“
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Good news!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    I love Iron Maiden and am definitely getting the new record. However, the new track is a little disappointing, like a cross between something off No Prayer For The Dying and “Copperhead Road” by Steve Earle.
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I’ve had the new song going through my head a lot!

Watching the vid a second time, there's some Terry Pratchett in there. The four horsemen on motorcycles from Good Omens, DEATH from the discworld.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Why is Bruce wailing? It doesn't seem to fit, IMHO.
    He's usually so subdued.

Quote Originally Posted by Frumious B View Post
    I love Iron Maiden and am definitely getting the new record. However, the new track is a little disappointing, like a cross between something off No Prayer For The Dying and “Copperhead Road” by Steve Earle.
    And Wanted Dead or Alive. Typical drop D tuning sounding blues inspired stuff. But at least it's a little different for them. They can't all be in E minor and gallop. Thankfully. I guess?

This one is different! Beginning reminds me of Arthur Brown Zim Zam Zim

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    Dickinson is a huge fan of Arthur Brown, he goes into at length in his autobiography What Does This Button Do?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He's usually so subdued.
    rofl

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

The newest Maiden material so far is very interesting and taking a little while for me to absorb.
    Lately i've fallen into this youtube rabbit hole of "What if Bruce Dickinson sang for...." and these video are a riot with superbly talented performances and are gosh darned entertaining.
    The conclusion is he could sing for anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by spiderfeathers View Post
    This is not Maiden, is it ?

Say's Maiden on the label... Sort of nice of them to do something different.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    The newest Maiden material so far is very interesting and taking a little while for me to absorb.
    Lately i've fallen into this youtube rabbit hole of "What if Bruce Dickinson sang for...." and these video are a riot with superbly talented performances and are gosh darned entertaining.
    The conclusion is he could sing for anybody.

I saw one what if Maiden wrote Enter Sandman.

It was awesome

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Say's Maiden on the label... Sort of nice of them to do something different.
    I'm not seeing it on Maiden's Youtube official channel. I would be glad if they tried something different, but I have doubts here.

The Stratego tune sounds like something from the "Somewhere in Time" era. I don't like my Maiden watered down by synths, guitar or otherwise. As a matter of fact, I like 'em best with just two guitarists. It leaves a little space in the music. Was really digging "Piece of Mind" today, which is my favorite album by them. After "Powerslave" is probably where I got off the bus, but still find their new music to be interesting.

This is a Bruce solo tune. Some asshole posted it as Stratego.