Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wire "154" - Why is it so hard to find?

Wire "154" - Why is it so hard to find?

Hi everyone! This has been recommended to me several times but I can't seem to find an affordable copy in this country. What's the deal?

Didn't know it's so hard to find but it's fucking awesome!
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Didn't know it's so hard to find but it's fucking awesome!
    Maybe that's why, it's good and everyone snapped up a copy.

Because sales of older releases on hard media are so down that it is no longer financially worthwhile to keep them in print.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Yeah, I was going to say Amazon has it, but it's rather a bummer that Wire's online shop doesn't have it.

Steve is probably right. We should give up the ghost.

Alternatively, you could listen to more XTC and buy some Gang of Four albums.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Used - acceptable.

I bought it on Amazon and it's been a month and it still hasn't shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Alternatively, you could listen to more XTC and buy some Gang of Four albums.
    That's a good call, don't know Gang of Four.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    That's a good call, don't know Gang of Four.
    OH, FUCKIN' YEAH.

Most folks like Entertainment best. I'm a Solid Gold man, myself.

Either of those two is da schnitzel.

The best UK 'punk' band of the 70s in my mind.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Done! Maybe that Wire thing will show eventually, but this is like, IN STOCK, man!

Hot, great, white funk rhythm section, SMART lyrics, and the best, noisiest guitarist of the punk era. IMO.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Small story time (and the reason Gang of Four is in my mind today). Feel free to skip. I rarely indulge in posts, but I guess tonight's the night as Mr. Young would say. So pardons are due in advance. This will still be brief and totally skippable.

My AP Lang students recently finished reading The Great Gatsby. I go back and forth with how much fiction to include in this course. It really is a rhetoric introduction course (or Comp 101 from your college years), and I know I should be less sentimental and basically cut novels from it. Meh. Fitz's hyperbolic, convoluted and just plain bizarro prose is worth studying alongside politic speeches and Emersonian essays. That drunk knew how to exaggerate and prettify a goddamn sentence. It's "dull gold" indeed, ain't it?

Anyway. The teenagers just finished their Gatsby essays and turned them in with all their teenage hopes and teenage dreams and teenage hang ups. Typically, there were problems, and I seek to rectify problems if nothing else.

How, says I, can I get these teenagers to analyze rhetoric coherently? Undoubtedly they sit in their teenage bedrooms and ponder the very same thoughts at night. Rhetoric, thinks them, is something that needs be gotten.

Naturally, I ponder all this while listening to music during my break. And it strikes me that one's impressions of a piece of music can shed light on how to analyze a text. Genius. I knew I done became a professional Englisher for a reason.

I type the lesson up with the thought of using some spiritual, uplifting and weighty song. Thoughts center around The Beatles and I eventually settle on Lennon's "Imagine." Parallel structure, says I. Easy to identify musical themes, says I. Oh boy. I'm feeling smart. Englishing is quite awesome.

Then "Paralyse" comes on the headphones. And, duh, Gang of Four's minimalist rant against government and their sparse playing and that giant pause in the middle of the song comes together right now into a lesson on how to differentiate between summarization, opinion and analysis.

Thanks, King and Co. Your hatred for capitalistic culture sure did save my ass today.

The kids and I listened to Gang of Four today. They didn't like the song, but they might've figured out how to analyze the pretty words of a raving drunk.
    Last edited by polmico; 02-26-2016 at 09:19 PM.

^ ^ ^

<big like inserted here>
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Used - acceptable.

I bought it on Amazon and it's been a month and it still hasn't shipped.
    50% of everything I order on Amazon fails to arrive, I've given up on them now, I totally hate this company.

154 must be available on a stream somewhere, just try and give it a listen, it's special. Have you found Pink Flag and Chairs Missing?

As for Gang of Four, I love them too, Entertainment is wonderful. I haven't heard Solid Gold in ages, I only have the vinyl, but must pull it out. And spin it Their Peel Sessions disc is worth getting too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    50% of everything I order on Amazon fails to arrive, I've given up on them now, I totally hate this company.
    Seriously? I've had MAYBE one or two items fail to arrive, out of 916 orders in the past decade -- and I got refunds on them.

154 must be available on a stream somewhere, just try and give it a listen, it's special. Have you found Pink Flag and Chairs Missing?

As for Gang of Four, I love them too, Entertainment is wonderful. I haven't heard Solid Gold in ages, I only have the vinyl, but must pull it out. And spin it Their Peel Sessions disc is worth getting too.

My Amazon order came with the option to download MP3s. Trouble is, I really, really hate MP3s. Compression, compression, compression.

I bought that Gang of Four album per Steve and Polmico's suggestion.

PS - you sound like an awesome teacher

110 copies on Discogs.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Seriously? I've had MAYBE one or two items fail to arrive, out of 916 orders in the past decade -- and I got refunds on them.
    Seriously. It was never like this before but the last six months have been awful. It isn't just recorded music, a guitar and amp I bought for a teens Christmas present was cancelled and refunded, amongst other bits and pieces. I put it down to a lazy courier who won't drive out to the country, I live in a small village. Amazon don't give a fuck though, I complain and they send me the same response every single time.

Wire &quot;154&quot; - Why is it so hard to find?

PS - you sound like an awesome teacher

Ah I'm sure I would be but I never had they calling! My recently departed Mum though was an awesome teacher. Polmico takes that credit.

Ah I'm sure I would be but I never had they calling! My recently departed Mum though was an awesome teacher. Polmico takes that credit.
    Oops, sorry. This why we never 'wine and PE', friends.

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Ian, let us know what you think of Gang of Four.

And as far as Wire goes? If you can't get 154, get the rest of it. I like all phases of the band and consider their latest run of albums among their best.
    Last edited by polmico; 02-27-2016 at 10:18 AM.

Ian, if Amazon continues to be unable to fill your order, PM me--I have a "gently used" copy I'd be willing to sell.

If all else fails there was a compilation titled On Returning released in the late 80's that included a large sampling of Pink Flag, Chairs Missing and 154. That is on Amazon too, cheaper.

image.jpg

Theres a 180 gram vinyl that is awesome put out by 4men with beards... This copy is about 5 or 6 years old now.
    Still alive and well...