Thread: Mystery: The World Is A Game

Mystery: The World Is A Game

Just discovered these guys. I just happened by them after listening to Lonely Robot on Apple Music. Had I seen who was in the band I may very well have passed. To my own misfortune.
    Benoit David on vocals. I'm no fan of Yes, saw him with them a while ago, though he apparently was ill, I still wasn't impressed. He kills on this album. He didn't do himself any favors spending time in that band. This is a far better fit.
    D'Virgillio Drumming. Spocks Beard lost me when Morse started seeing the Light, and unfortunately for me, took D'Virgilio "down" with him as a result. I lost interest in checking out his work. Again, to my own misfortune. He kills on this album. I'm thinking I need to go back and investigate more of his work, I've clearly missed his brilliance along the way.

All in all, though NeoProg gets a good hiding around here, I for one love it, this is one Effing great find!

I agree "The World is a Game" is a fine album, as are all of their albums since "Beneath the Veil of Winter's Face", which was the first to have Benoit on vocals. However, I think their new album "Delusion Rain" is their best yet. It features a new singer, Jean Pageau, who is really excellent.

^I'll be digging deeper into their catalog for sure, thanks for the recommendation. Next on the list!

Solid album by a very good band. I'd recommend pretty much anything they've done... saw them live when they opened for Marillion and they were great!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

hows the latest album sounding?
    On Game they had Antoine Faffard on bass, which was pretty cool. Though he was drowned in the mix. And it felt like the whole mix was lacking sub bass.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Long time fan, saw them at FMPM and had hoped to see the new vocalist at the Neal Morse opening set that was cancelled. Picked up the double live "Tales from the Netherlands" from Michel at that gig, highly recommended. New album is fantastic, great singer.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm a recent fan, but I like all of their albums. They're carrying the neo-prog torch in fine form.

Quote Originally Posted by sergio View Post
    hows the latest album sounding?
    On Game they had Antoine Faffard on bass, which was pretty cool. Though he was drowned in the mix. And it felt like the whole mix was lacking sub bass.
    Luv the new one, heavy rotation. You won't be disappointed. Is it still up on progstreaming?
    The older I get, the better I was.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm a recent fan, but I like all of their albums. They're carrying the neo-prog torch in fine form.
    More melodic heavy prog than neo imo.

"The World is a Game" is indeed a great album. I'm still growing into the new release but I strongly recommend "One Among The Living" which I think is an outstanding album.

I found them by accident - probably on morow.com - and bought this record without even knowing Benoit was the singer. He does sound much more comfortable and within his range here. They have a great sound. My only complaint is there's quite a bit of "sameness" to a lot of their songs. I still need to check out the latest.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    Just discovered these guys. I just happened by them after listening to Lonely Robot on Apple Music. Had I seen who was in the band I may very well have passed. To my own misfortune.
    Benoit David on vocals. I'm no fan of Yes, saw him with them a while ago, though he apparently was ill, I still wasn't impressed. He kills on this album. He didn't do himself any favors spending time in that band. This is a far better fit.
    D'Virgillio Drumming. Spocks Beard lost me when Morse started seeing the Light, and unfortunately for me, took D'Virgilio "down" with him as a result. I lost interest in checking out his work. Again, to my own misfortune. He kills on this album. I'm thinking I need to go back and investigate more of his work, I've clearly missed his brilliance along the way.

All in all, though NeoProg gets a good hiding around here, I for one love it, this is one Effing great find!
    I was basically sold on Mystery and some other cool bands via this thread:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...light=Neo-prog