Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time & A Word- The Story of YES- New book

Time & A Word- The Story of YES- New book

I note Amazon are taking pre-orders for a new paperback!
    What is the best book already out there on YES?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    I note Amazon are taking pre-orders for a new paperback!
    What is the best book already out there on YES?
    Dan Hedges book is my fave, but it's long out of print.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ first and best, Hedges.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I like Martin Poppof's hard rock/metal books. Looking forward to this.
    http://bravewords.com/news/martin-po...h-new-yes-book

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I agree. I found this book at a yard sale for 25 cents!!!! Obviously, they did not know how rare this was. Needless to say, I gave them $5.00 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Teal View Post
    I agree. I found this book at a yard sale for 25 cents!!!! Obviously, they did not know how rare this was. Needless to say, I gave them $5.00 for it.
    I bet Henry would be interested in scanning the pages and posting then to his most excellent blog. (There could be a purple link to it amidst the green parts of what Jon Anderson has said he plans on recording...)

I ordered Martin Poppof's book too. His books are very different with a timeline of reviews, interviews, photos and adverts. Lots of cool books available.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Yeah, the Hedges book is great, though I'm also very fond of the Chris Welch book, Close to the Edge: The Story of Yes, which, whilst always respectful in tone, is a bit less circumspect in its discussion of the band's often fractious relationships.

crowd source!

Since the book is out of print, all we need is a few people to contribute a chapter summary. It could be just a short paragraph of the most interesting parts or something longer. As a bonus, there is no copyright infringement. konpai!

Looking forward to this one. I have read many of Popoff's books and have enjoyed them all. The Blue Oyster Cult book is a must read for fans of the band.

Just ordered this, looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Feel lucky.. I bought mine off Amazon years ago for around $5.. just looked on Amazon to see what it's going for right now.. Way out of my price range.. Another gem I found at a Book Fair was Yes In their own words.. $4 as I recall.. Welchs book I received as a birthday gift shortly after it was release.. All three of these books have gems in them. Never read Perpetual Change.. although I've heard good reviews of it..

I personally found `Yesstories' by Tim Morse to be by far the most enlightening, all in the band members past and present's own words. Some good insight from those who lived it, and entertaining throughout.

"I enjoyed reading this book and have actually learned things about the band from it." --Bill Bruford, Drums

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    I personally found `Yesstories' by Tim Morse to be by far the most enlightening, all in the band members past and present's own words. Some good insight from those who lived it, and entertaining throughout.

"I enjoyed reading this book and have actually learned things about the band from it." --Bill Bruford, Drums
    Suffered from Anderson and Wakeman not consenting to be interviewed, but it was quite good.

But just how much more is out there that we don't know or haven't heard. I think I would luv a big coffee table book full of photos, old and new, recording secessions, etc.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    But just how much more is out there that we don't know or haven't heard. I think I would luv a big coffee table book full of photos, old and new, recording secessions, etc.
    There was this one, which was kinda like that...

"Combining biography, set lists, a complete list of tour dates, memorabilia, photographs, bootleg information, album details, and an introduction by the current members of Yes, this retrospective is a collector's dream."

http://smile.amazon.com/Yes-Perpetua...dp/0859652971/

I just read a Kindle version of the Popoff Yes book. Wasn't very impressed, to be honest. I don't think it was particularly well written and I think I found absolutely nothing new in it. Both the Morse and Welch books were far more entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post

I agree and Tim is a great person to boot. I told him he should write a follow up covering the years since but I don't think he wanted to tell such a sad story.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    There was this one, which was kinda like that...

"Combining biography, set lists, a complete list of tour dates, memorabilia, photographs, bootleg information, album details, and an introduction by the current members of Yes, this retrospective is a collector's dream."

http://smile.amazon.com/Yes-Perpetua...dp/0859652971/
    Darn you SBB, I'm 92.92 lighter right now. Looks great and I'll enjoy this for some time. Thank you.
    The older I get, the better I was.

You're welcome!

A few years back while at a YES meet & Greet (Thanks Sean for that invite) I got SH, AW, CS & GD to sign each of my favorite pix of them in my Dan Hedges book....(I even had Jon D sign the last blank overleaf in the back)

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    Feel lucky.. I bought mine off Amazon years ago for around $5.. just looked on Amazon to see what it's going for right now.. Way out of my price range.. Another gem I found at a Book Fair was Yes In their own words.. $4 as I recall.. Welchs book I received as a birthday gift shortly after it was release.. All three of these books have gems in them. Never read Perpetual Change.. although I've heard good reviews of it..
    Is this the book? http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/0283987618/

I guess $40 is better than what is being offered on Amazon......

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Is this the book? http://www.abebooks.com/book-search/isbn/0283987618/

I guess $40 is better than what is being offered on Amazon......
    Yup that's the one.. Don't get me wrong I had heard about Dan's book for years.. I didn't jump at the first price I saw.. took a while before someone threw it out there at that price..

I enjoyed the Dan Hedges book, however, a few years back I saw Rick play and asked him to sign the book. On the page with him in a pair of overalls, he writes "it's all lies-Rick Wakeman". So who knows? Was he being his funny Rick or was there more behind that comment? lol Great guy He is very funny and sarcastic.

Quote Originally Posted by onward View Post
    I enjoyed the Dan Hedges book, however, a few years back I saw Rick play and asked him to sign the book. On the page with him in a pair of overalls, he writes "it's all lies-Rick Wakeman". So who knows? Was he being his funny Rick or was there more behind that comment? lol Great guy He is very funny and sarcastic.
    Trying to remember...there was another Yes book where Wakeman wrote the foreword and he wrote how bad the previous books had been. Not really fair regarding the Morse book, and what I remember of Hedges's book (I borrowed that from a library once in the 80's).