Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hidden tracks

Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    got a cd down your alley
    Rilly?!?

Melt-banana's Charlie has one of those hidden pregap tracks accessed by rewinding back from the first track

"Blow On A Jug" at the end of Sabotage comes to mind.

Bill Ward playing a mean piano and he and Ozzy messing around. That song was an inside joke about Mungo Jerry going down very well at a large UK festival in 1970.

Not listed on the album and comes in at a very low volume a bit after "The Writ." Qualifies, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ground and Sky's Ghost View Post
    Fripp's tendency to put hidden tracks on every Crimson-related release for a while there really annoyed the crap out of me when I converted my CDs to MP3 because it meant that I had to use a WAV editor to delete the blank parts so there wouldn't be big empty spaces between songs if I used the randomizer.
    FYI, I recently started using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) with which you can rip sections of files directly to mp3. I've used that feature several times to split lengthy tracks into multiple files or to eliminate hidden track nonsense, without first converting to WAV like I used to.

Yup, for a while there in the 90’s it seemed like every one was doing it. On Jimmy Buffett’s “Banana Wind” album after the main songs finish there are a few moments of silence and you hear Buffet talking to his producer about trying to find the hidden track (it is kind of funny), then he proceeds to do Stephen Still’s “Treetop Flyer” and is possibly the best track on the album.

Wasnt there a Monty Phyton album (LP) with two tracks running in parallel on each side - meaning it depended on where you put down the pickup which track you got.
    Not actually hidden, and probably stated on the cover... but still...

Got the idea to google :

multi-groove was the word I was looking for

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multisided_record

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mo...d_Handkerchief

Yes, there were reportedly several records made that way. I think I heard of one with four parallel grooves!

Suspended
    At the very end of Sgt Pepper there was a short track that was not only hidden, it was inaudible unless you were a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Wasnt there a Monty Phyton album (LP) with two tracks running in parallel on each side - meaning it depended on where you put down the pickup which track you got.
    Not actually hidden, and probably stated on the cover... but still...
    Yes, I own it. There is no tracklisting on the cover or label (although I think they added one for later copies). Adding to the confusion, both labels are labelled as side 2, although if you look closely there is also an "A" matrix code on one side and "B" on the other (the side with the double groove).

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Unless you're standing there looking at the vinyl while the record plays, the long silence makes it qualify as a hidden track, I think.
    Well, normally you looked carefully at the grooves before even playing the record, so you knew what to expect. That was a part of the ritual, eh?
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yes, there were reportedly several records made that way. I think I heard of one with four parallel grooves!
    That was a compilation of garage/psych 80s rock if I remember well. Vietnam Veterans, Fuzztones, Daisy Chain, Cheepskates, Last Drive etc... In the Music Maniac label. But the tracks were all listed on the cover.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Well, normally you looked carefully at the grooves before even playing the record, so you knew what to expect. That was a part of the ritual, eh?
    We did?

I only looked at the grooves when I wanted to position the stylus at the start of a track that was not track 1.Or if there was audible contamination and I wanted to try and localise it in the hope of cleaning the platter. One set of grooves looks much like another, if it's not full of scratches.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    We did?

I only looked at the grooves when I wanted to position the stylus at the start of a track that was not track 1.Or if there was audible contamination and I wanted to try and localise it in the hope of cleaning the platter. One set of grooves looks much like another, if it's not full of scratches.
    And even if you did happen to look at the grooves and count the bands--god knows why--hidden tracks were often not separately banded, so yes, they could be truly hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    And even if you did happen to look at the grooves and count the bands--god knows why--hidden tracks were often not separately banded, so yes, they could be truly hidden.
    To Stevie Wonder all LP tracks are hidden.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    To Stevie Wonder all LP tracks are hidden.
    "Hey, have you seen Stevie Wonder's new album? Well neither has he!"