Thread: Wakeman: No Earthly Connection pre-order

Wakeman: No Earthly Connection pre-order

Don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but this album is available for pre-order on Amazon. I ordered mine, and now I see the release date is pushed back to mid February. No problem, I've waited years for this to get released. I have a poor mp3 copy from obviously scratched vinyl, so I'm excited to hear this without all the excess noise.

I had downloaded a bunch of OOP wakeman albums a couple years ago, and have made sure to buy up the legit releases when I get the chance. I do hope White Rock, Lisztomania and Rhapsodies also see the light of day as legit releases soon.

Finally! Thanks much for the heads up
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Yes! (no pun intended) It's about time this got re-issued; his only solo album I ever really liked, I prefer it to some Yes albums.

Definitely one of his better ones. I wonder what took so long for this to be issued on CD on this side of the pond?

I was just listening to one of my favourite Wakeman CDs last night actually, Sea Airs. A beautiful piano record with some of his loveliest melodies.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I got Jap Remasters probably around 10 years ago of all the 70's stuff. Nice sound.
    My favorites of them are 6 Wives, Criminal Record and Rhapsodies.
    I try to jump on the Japanese releases as soon as I see them. Limited Editions and they go quick. And they're worth it.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Banned
    Does this come with a piece of tin foil???

Except for Ashley Holt's typically dubious vocals, this is a great release of Rick's, and I need to buy it. Thanks for the info!

Brilliant! Thanks for the heads-up!

The opening chord to the first song is amazing. How many Minimoog overdubs do you think he had to do here? This is great news and Holt doesn't bother me as he does so many of Wakeman fans. I prefer Hopkins,but he only sang on Journey.......

Good to know I've helped in any way. Didn't know this was finally getting a release, I sort of stumbled on it looking up another Wakeman disc and saw the 2013 release date. The one I also got is from 1995, "Seven Wonders of the World", which is surprisingly good. Each "wonder" has a spoken intro as a separate track -so you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to, but I think they are kind of cool. But each song is instrumental and fairly proggy. Still during his digital key only era, but one of his better solo efforts of the 90's, actually much better than most of that decade for Rick.

Oddly, "No Earthly Connection" and "White Rock" were the only A&M Wakeman albums not to get cd releases in Japan back in the 1980's. Even "Lisztomania" was released by A&M Japan back then! "No Earthly Connection" has been officially released on cd just once, in 2003 as a Japan mini-lp disc.
    Last edited by yesstiles; 01-13-2013 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    I prefer Hopkins,but he only sang on Journey.......
    Untrue, he sang on the King Arthur album, but in tandem/alternating with Holt.

I far, far prefer Gary Pickford-Hopkins’ vocals to Ashley Holt’s. IMO, he and only he should have been “the voice of Wakeman.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Le rafiot”-Maneige

Details here: http://www.realgonemusic.com/news/20...k-wakeman.html

Wakeman was planning to re-release this album and the rest of his A&M catalogue through Gonzo Multimedia (Voiceprint) with bonus material, but it's unclear what's happened with that.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    The one I also got is from 1995, "Seven Wonders of the World", which is surprisingly good. Each "wonder" has a spoken intro as a separate track -so you don't have to listen to them if you don't want to, but I think they are kind of cool. But each song is instrumental and fairly proggy. Still during his digital key only era, but one of his better solo efforts of the 90's
    This one is okay, I find it pleasant enough, but largely background music - that is, nothing engaging enough that I feel the need to listen to it again.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"No earthly connection" could be a good candidate for a 5.1 mix .... and blu ray.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Untrue, he sang on the King Arthur album, but in tandem/alternating with Holt.

I far, far prefer Gary Pickford-Hopkins’ vocals to Ashley Holt’s. IMO, he and only he should have been “the voice of Wakeman.”

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"It is not an obscenity to be free. It is a divine right." --Annette Peacock

N.P.:“Le rafiot”-Maneige
    WOW! I totally forgot about that. I only have the King Arthur album on lp and haven't heard it in maybe 20 years or longer. Thanks for the reminder Mike.

Amazon informed me tonight that it has been shipped. Can't wait,it's been about 20 years since I even listened to it.

Yeah, got the same shipping notice. I also see that it is in stock at Vintage Vinyl here in NJ.

Got mine yesterday. Can't wait to hear it.....Listened to the new recording of Journey this past weekend. AMAZING!!!!! One of the best in a long time....