Thread: Digital/Computer recording...what you using?? (a simple survey)

Digital/Computer recording...what you using?? (a simple survey)

So, currently, my set-up is:

Interface: Delta M-Audio 1010 (also not supported anymore)

Recording SW: Sonar 7 (way old but very functional for my purposes)

So my dilemma is, a lot of new VST's don't really seem to like running on XP, AND, my interface is acting weird too.

My actual computer (tower) is excellent with tons of storage and power. I'm just not sure how to go about upgrading. A friend of mine is really trying to get me to switch over to Reaper as the recording SW. I'm not sure what OS to move over to. (getting a new interface is no big deal)

...so, a quick survey to see what ya'll out there are using these days.

Thx.

Interface: MOTU USB Midi interface 8x8

Program: Cubase Pro 8

Recording: Korg D1200mkII

Interface: A TASCAM something-or-other, 14-channels; sorry, I forgot the model number...
    Program: Reaper
    Computer: a bunch of leftover crap I assembled into a pretty powerful system.

I don't use very many plug-ins, and the synths are external.
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

Im happily and purposely stuck in Win 7 with Sonar 8.5 - I figure I will not upgrade again. If they force it somehow, I will go to Qbase or Pro tools, or some kind of freeware. I like Sonar, I know it, and I have no interest in the newer features designed for rappers, and groovers and modern day "composers" I like to keep it somewhat old school.

I may also just buy a 24 track hardware based hard disk recorder. That'd be pretty cool, but I do like being able to turn MIDI parts into actual sheet music.

Sound Card: Creative Audigy2 Platinum (2002 model) with front panel
    App: Adobe Audition
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have an aging PC running Sonar X1 on XP. I'd hate to see that computer die as I have spent so much money on Sonar and a couple other things. I keep this computer isolated from the Internet so I (hopefully) don't need to worry about the OS not having security updates. Sonar has some great plug-ins that came with it.

Right next to that computer I have an iMac that is a few years old, but probably has a couple years of useful life left. That's the one I use for email, Internet browsing, etc. I don't like the idea of running two computers all the time so recently I downloaded Reaper and installed it on the iMac and have started exploring it. So far I'm really impressed. There are Mac and PC versions of Reaper and the price is right so I have a feeling that's the direction I'll go should the PC crap out.

I'm using a PreSonus 16.0.2 for a recording interface. I have two Firewire cables which makes it easy to swap the interface back and forth between the iMac and PC.
    <sig out of order>

That's a good point about keeping your music recording computer isolated from the 'net. Anything I need to copy over goes via USB stick; no wireless, no cable, no problems.

It's a pain, but has been worth the trouble.

Sent Via PE's Mobile App
    <sig out of order>

Ditto on the "keeping the computer away from anything on the net. My machine has never been hooked up to the internet. It would probably be OK now, but in the old days one link would cause memory hashing. I have 6gb on my PC and it does just fine.

Mac Mini i7 quadcore, 16 MB RAM, internal 500GB SSD and 1TB HD, 2x Full HD monitors. RME UCX sound card, Logic X.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

I have been a Pro Tools user for many years. However, I think I am done with it & would like to use something that is more flexible & user friendly. I have Adobe Audition & Logic ready to go. Maybe I will use all three... not sure. The PT system is an older video editor made by ProMax (early 2000s): Windows 7, 4G RAM, dual processors, 6 drives, connected to 4 monitors. I have a MacBook Pro & an 8T RAID ready to install, which is way smaller, portable & much quieter.

Windows OS

Interface : M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Program : Reaper

Thanks everyone for their input thus far.

Quite a variety of configurations.

For those of you on Reaper, What are the "selling points" of this program. Like I stated on the OP, my friend is egging me on to switch to it as he is a big fan.

I use Sony ACID as a DAW (dont laugh, ACID is a pretty good DAW just for its simplicity of use and if you dont want to overcomplicate the process which can easily be done with Pro Tools and other DAWs).....I also have Pro Tools LE

I do all my drum programming from scratch using a Large Library of WAVs Ive collected since the 90s and have libraries of acoustic kits/cymbals as well as almost every drum machine made

I use VSTi plugins for all keyboards

Because almost everything (but bass guitar, some guitars, and vox) is done virtual, I only need my Tascam US-144B as an interface

I master with Sound Forge

If you want to hear some of my results using Sony ACID as a DAW, simply click the link in my sig

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post

For those of you on Reaper, What are the "selling points" of this program. Like I stated on the OP, my friend is egging me on to switch to it as he is a big fan.
    I would make a very bad salesman for Reaper. My needs are simple (I am basically using it as a tape recorder) and at this point I've had no need to get into any fiddly bits. It's pretty easy to get up and running if that's all you want to do. In that sense, I'm not sure how deep the program goes or how powerful it can be. It does seem to be quite solid and it is constantly being worked on in terms of bug fixes and enhancements. Watching some of the training videos on the Reaper site (or even just browsing the myriad video titles) could give you some idea about whether it has functions similar to what you are used to.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I would make a very bad salesman for Reaper. My needs are simple (I am basically using it as a tape recorder) and at this point I've had no need to get into any fiddly bits. It's pretty easy to get up and running if that's all you want to do. In that sense, I'm not sure how deep the program goes or how powerful it can be. It does seem to be quite solid and it is constantly being worked on in terms of bug fixes and enhancements. Watching some of the training videos on the Reaper site (or even just browsing the myriad video titles) could give you some idea about whether it has functions similar to what you are used to.
    Yeah, I guess Youtube could be my friend to search for Reaper vids....never thought of that...thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    Yeah, I guess Youtube could be my friend to search for Reaper vids....never thought of that...thx.
    Even better than YouTube: http://www.reaper.fm/videos.php
    <sig out of order>

The creators of Reaper seem to wish to compare it mostly to Sonar. It does share a lot of the same features, but don't most of these programs? So far, it's been pretty easy for me to use, but I've used a few others before this, so I know some of the things to look for. The main selling points I see are that it works, takes less space/memory than most, and it's dirt cheap compared to a lot of the others.

No love for Cubase? I use it allready more than 20 years.

I used to have Cubase SE which, if I'm recalling correctly, came with my Tascam US-428...or maybe my Edirol FA-101. I also may have (or at least briefly had) a version of it that came with another piece of hardware. Possibly my PreSonus board. I had other DAW software already and never really needed to use it. Not to mention the process for getting the key/license authenticated was rather painful. Other than that, for me it probably wouldn't matter much which software I was using since I never seem to get that deep into it.
    <sig out of order>