Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Neal Morse reuniting with Spock's Beard to perform "Snow" live

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    If you really believe that I have a bridge to sell you.

I don't begrudge anyone an honest day's pay, good for them, but I'm pretty sure the members of SB don't hang out in the Morse backyard playing frisbee and eating burgers any more, and in MO they have a legitimate reason.
    Obviously, you must know them and know exactly how they feel about this. Yes, it seems there was some original frustration about Neal's decision to leave, but that seems to have settled over time. Your viewpoint of all of this is beyond cynical IMO, but could it be that the band members of Spock's Beard actually appreciate that it was in large part Neal's talents as a songwriter and performer that helped to further their careers? Could it also be that as frustrating as it may have been for them at the time that he left, that they may actually understand that it was important to him? Could it be that they actually are friendly with one another? I would guess that nobody's arm is being twisted to do this and to your viewpoint about $$, I am certain nobody is getting rich off of it either. The event will perhaps make a few bucks, but it seems likely that the musicians involved are doing it because they want to, not because of a big payday. We're not talking a stadium full of people here. Hey, your not into it. That's cool, but I personally think it's a pretty exciting announcement. It would be nice if this thread focused on the positives and interesting aspects of the event and the announcement. Instead, it looks to be just another Neal Morse thread on PE, predominantly filled with the same old same old of the last 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post

They are obviously doing this for the FANS.
    "Doing it for the fans" would be coming to your town (or somewhere near) and charging $35 to see the show. Sorry, I find it impossible to believe that when it's going to cost the average schlepper over $1000 to show up there that weekend, and plenty more if you want to go high hog that they're doing us a big favor.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulFreq View Post
    Don't worry about the comfort level of the seats or the sight lines! I attended last year's MorseFest for the Question Mark concert (my favorite Neal solo LP, although Grand Experiment is inching closer). One of the best shows I have ever seen. The pews are nicely padded and far more comfortable that arena seats or SRO concerts. They aren't traditional old school church pews. The show was amazing - sound was spot on, the light show top notch, and was packed with extras - special guests, vivid giant multimedia display, and a host of special guest musicians (brass section, string section, choir, percussion, etc.). I had a great time talking to fellow prog fans in line on the way in about all the usual stuff that's cool to discuss with total strangers that love the same music as you. If you didn't know it was a church you would be hard pressed to determine what kind of building it was in. There's not really a bad seat in the house.

The reality of MorseFest is Neal pulls out all the stops and can economically put on a show that wouldn't be possible anywhere else. And the crowd is engaged to a level I have rarely seen. Truly an unforgettable experience, I would recommend it highly if you get the chance to go. You absolutely won't be sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Patelena396 View Post
    Obviously, you must know them and know exactly how they feel about this. Yes, it seems there was some original frustration about Neal's decision to leave, but that seems to have settled over time. Your viewpoint of all of this is beyond cynical IMO, but could it be that the band members of Spock's Beard actually appreciate that it was in large part Neal's talents as a songwriter and performer that helped to further their careers? Could it also be that as frustrating as it may have been for them at the time that he left, that they may actually understand that it was important to him? Could it be that they actually are friendly with one another? I would guess that nobody's arm is being twisted to do this and to your viewpoint about $$, I am certain nobody is getting rich off of it either. The event will perhaps make a few bucks, but it seems likely that the musicians involved are doing it because they want to, not because of a big payday. We're not talking a stadium full of people here. Hey, your not into it. That's cool, but I personally think it's a pretty exciting announcement. It would be nice if this thread focused on the positives and interesting aspects of the event and the announcement. Instead, it looks to be just another Neal Morse thread on PE, predominantly filled with the same old same old of the last 14 years.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Some of the humor here is pretty funny, but overall the snarky comments here are why I don't come to PE nearly as much as I used to...everyone wants to complain about something and it just gets old.

They are obviously doing this for the FANS. The fans of Spock's have been clamoring for this show for years and amazingly it's finally happening. Whether or not it's your favorite Spock's album (it's not mine...I'd much rather V or other earlier material, but I'm still thrilled), there's no denying this is a momentous show for Spock's fans and also in many ways a healing of the past. Though they've stayed supportive and friends through the years, this really brings some closure to how it all went down when Neal left the band and I'm really happy for them that they're doing this.

As has been mentioned, the church is actually turned into a fantastic concert venue...incredible sound and lighting, and even the pews are comfortable. I think most prog concert-goers would appreciate the venue as far as a rewarding music experience, though yeah it's probably not the most obvious place to enjoy other mind-altering substances than the music itself.

There always is a strong spiritual aspect to Neal's presence and delivery which in my experience elevates the whole concert way higher than anything else out there. That said, I expect this 3rd Morsefest with Spock's will probably have the least spiritual overtones yet, compared to the other album material he's covered the past 2 years. But the emotion will certainly be dripping off the walls
    !

Yeah, Neal Morse, probably my favorite singer-songwriter-arranger at present, you're right, I hate him.

Yeah, Neal Morse, probably my favorite singer-songwriter-arranger at present, you're right, I hate him.
    Other than the fact that you are not really responding to my comments, I will respond to yours. If he is your "favorite" anything, why the comments to make him look somehow dishonest, money grubbing, that he wronged his band mates, the venue sucks, etc. Sour grapes? Pissed that you can't go? Your declaration that he is your favorite confuses your comments even more, in my opinion. Feel the way you feel, it's all good, but i guess I just don't get your logic.

John Boegehold
    Neal left SB 13+ years ago. Any animosity between any current or past members of the band is long, long gone. Considering how insanely difficult it is both financially and logistically to get ANYTHING done (recording, concerts, etc) when it comes to prog, especially in the US, why does it matter if they're doing it for the love of the music or doing it just for a payday? Either way, the show is coming together and from what I know about it (which is a lot), it's doubtful anyone in the audience will come away disappointed.

Other than the fact that you are not really responding to my comments, I will respond to yours. If he is your "favorite" anything, why the comments to make him look somehow dishonest, money grubbing, that he wronged his band mates, the venue sucks, etc. Sour grapes? Pissed that you can't go? Your declaration that he is your favorite confuses your comments even more, in my opinion. Feel the way you feel, it's all good, but i guess I just don't get your logic.
    Kindly point out to me where I called Neal dishonest, and also money-grubbing, just because I don't think making your average fan fork over $1200+ to see you play is very fan-friendly doesn't make you a crook, we all have jobs and need to get paid to do them, we as consumers ultimately have a choice. My feelings about what he did to his band mates are irrelevant, if JB says everything is peaches nowadays that's good enough for me. As to the venue I'm not religious and would rather see a show in a typical venue, am I allowed to think/feel that way? As for going I have a choice, at the moment I've actually made a reservation in one of the nearby hotels but I'll see how I feel when tix go on sale, as you can tell I have my doubts about the experience.

Jefferson James
    You two should meet up and talk this out over a couple of chalices of wine.

"Doing it for the fans" would be coming to your town (or somewhere near) and charging $35 to see the show. Sorry, I find it impossible to believe that when it's going to cost the average schlepper over $1000 to show up there that weekend, and plenty more if you want to go high hog that they're doing us a big favor.
    Yes, Neal and Spock's are doing this for the fans. If you think "doing it for the fans" would mean for them to all tour Snow in the States and come somewhere near your hometown for $35, well that's essentially asking the band to pay to play. They would likely lose thousands of dollars at every gig that way. So I guess you're right in that sense that money is a factor -- they don't want to LOSE tons of money and take financial time away from their day jobs to tour Snow. So, instead they'll do one spectacular over the top show for the fans where at least they'll hopefully make a modest amount of money for all of the time and effort they'll put in to prepare for it.

I do hope you decide to go if the finances work out, it will be unforgettable! As for the show itself...$75 for the actual ticket seems incredibly fare to me, given that this is a one-off show with all the bells and whistles (and way cheaper than the stadium rock shows that regularly are 2 or 3 times as much before service charges!). $125 for both nights is crazy good. Yes, there are all of the extra expenses for us who have to travel there to see it, but I'm not going to hold that over Neal's head...this is the only way the band can see this happening and financially not kill them. So, it's a classy move in my book. And there'll be the Blue Rays with all the bells and whistles for those who can't make the trip.

Sure, I wish the Beard and Neal were popular enough that they could tour this and sell out 1,000+ seat venues around the world and sell $35 tickets. But it ain't so, so I'm grateful they're doing what they're doing!

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    You two should meet up and talk this out over a couple of chalices of wine.
    Make it beer and it's a date.

Kindly point out to me where I called Neal dishonest, and also money-grubbing, just because I don't think making your average fan fork over $1200+ to see you play is very fan-friendly doesn't make you a crook, we all have jobs and need to get paid to do them, we as consumers ultimately have a choice. My feelings about what he did to his band mates are irrelevant, if JB says everything is peaches nowadays that's good enough for me. As to the venue I'm not religious and would rather see a show in a typical venue, am I allowed to think/feel that way? As for going I have a choice, at the moment I've actually made a reservation in one of the nearby hotels but I'll see how I feel when tix go on sale, as you can tell I have my doubts about the experience.
    Your last sentence sums up In a large sense why I made my comments. If you are not feeling positive about the experience and you think it's about the $$ and you think Neal wasn't cool to his band mates when he left, that is your right to feel that way. I don't dispute it but respectfully disagree. I was just reading Neal's notes on the event and he said that they have all wanted to perform Snow together for a long time. The timing and venue seemed right as a lot could be built around it at Morsefest. It seems that all are pretty excited to do it. That's good enough for me and hopefully I can attend.
    Last edited by Patelena396; 02-23-2016 at 03:31 PM.

Your last sentence sums up In a large sense why I made my comments. If you are not feeling positive about the experience and you think it's about the $$ and you think Neal wasn't cool to his band mates when he left, that is your right to feel that way. I don't dispute it but respectfully disagree. I was just reading Neal's notes on the event and he said that hey have all wanted to perform Snow together for a long time. The timing and venue seemed right as a lot could be built around it at Morsefest. It seems that all are pretty excited to do it. That's good enough for me and hopefully I can attend.
    It's silly to keep prodding the horse but I'll take one more stab at it: Do you feel it's fan-friendly to force your fans to spend $ on a flight and lodging to hear you play? I've been a prog fan long enough to understand the economic realities of touring, which is why SB rarely plays in the States. When they (or Neal or TA) come to NY I make it my business to be there, as a matter of fact Neal dedicated Rose Colored Glasses to me onstage the day my dad died, a kindness I will never forget (I'm sure he has). When Neal and SB hooked up again in Pittsburgh years ago I drove 8 hours to get there, I don't expect them to play in my backyard and I'm willing to spend time/effort to get to them but the expense of the church outing is pretty steep IMO. Once again we have a choice, and if you think there weren't some really bruised feelings 13 years ago well I don't know what to tell you. Whatever it's all good, perhaps I'll see you there after all.

It's silly to keep prodding the horse but I'll take one more stab at it: Do you feel it's fan-friendly to force your fans to spend $ on a flight and lodging to hear you play? I've been a prog fan long enough to understand the economic realities of touring, which is why SB rarely plays in the States. When they (or Neal or TA) come to NY I make it my business to be there, as a matter of fact Neal dedicated Rose Colored Glasses to me onstage the day my dad died, a kindness I will never forget (I'm sure he has). When Neal and SB hooked up again in Pittsburgh years ago I drove 8 hours to get there, I don't expect them to play in my backyard and I'm willing to spend time/effort to get to them but the expense of the church outing is pretty steep IMO. Once again we have a choice, and if you think there weren't some really bruised feelings 13 years ago well I don't know what to tell you. Whatever it's all good, perhaps I'll see you there after all.
    I am sincerely not disputing your appreciation of Neal Morse. I share it. That said, I don't see this as "forcing" fans to do anything. It is an event and set up to be something truly special. As someone else on here said, Spock's with Neal (and Nick) is no longer a working band, so aside from the finances, time and such, I can understand why they wouldn't tour the album. Having it as part of Morsefest makes it a unique and memorable event. The festival has been successful for two years now, so it makes some sense. Plus, I have travelled for other special events and festivals, so I don't see this as much different.

As for the band's bruised feelings, I never said that wasn't the case back at the time. It does appear though that it is water under the bridge at rhis point. Plus, people can be upset about something while still understanding a person's reason for doing it. Even if it takes some time to reach hat conclusion. You made the point that there still may be issues, that they are "not playing frisbee" and Neal is "dragging" them into a church to perform. It does seem however that they are on good terms and that nobody is being "dragged" to do anything.

You and I are just chatting though. I don't have inside resource to the feelings of the band but am just voicing on how things appear. I don't think Spock's have a huge reason to do this other than the fun it may bring and yes, they may make a few bucks on the concert and CD/DVD as well. No harm in that. We can disagree on certain aspects of this but I too hope that you can make it to the show. All signs point to it being a fun time.

Just wondering, Barry - do you feel the same way about the various cruises out there, and Marillion weekends?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just wondering, Barry - do you feel the same way about the various cruises out there, and Marillion weekends?
    I have seen one off shows that Nick D has even done that were great that he didn't tour. It made them all the more special to see them.

I'm leaving on Friday for the Moodies Cruise, busted?

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    Is Morsefest™ a Christian-themed event? If the overall event is centered around Christianity, I wouldn't be interested. For me rock/roll and church/religion have always been at the polar opposite ends of life's rich pageant and that's not about to change.

If it is, then I completely understand how a church with pews would a be nice venue, especially for those who might be overcome with the desire to kneel during especially intense musical passages.

I couldn't afford this show even if I were born-again and covered in shimmering fresh placenta, however I love the album and hope one day Spock's and Neal will find value in performing it in a non-religious setting (edit: and/or an affordable venue somewhere nearer to thou). An intimate theater with a bar serving something with a little more kick than holy water would be ideal.

For those who love this album and are going, have a blast, it's going to be great I'd imagine.
    Kerry, I will field this. I can't speak from experience of being there but I have the DVD of 2014 MF and the church looks like a theater except not single seats but benches. A lot of modern churches have great stages and sound and lights these days and this place looks like one. One really cool thing is the camera's caught no one spontaneously bursting into flame on Neal's command.

There are many activities Neal had during the 2 days some religious (worship service) and some secular (a name that tune contest to win Mike Portnoy's beard. Yeah that's right). One cool thing was the Inner-Circle show where people who belong to Neal's inner-circle subscription service saw Neal and a couple members of his band and his brother Alan came out and did an acoustic set. Some religious but most were from his prog albums. The one cool thing was he saw a bug crawling on the floor then broke into the Carpet Crawlers from Genesis. When he finished that he told a story of being at the Prog Music Awards in England and TA was performing We all Need Some Light. He was staring at Peter Gabriel wondering the if he had lifted the words Human Surplus from the Lamb. Had some minor panic attack and the realized it was Human Bandage from the Lamb. Then he said I am looking at the church people and they have no idea what this is about. I think those kinds of moments are worthwhile. It looks like you can avoid his religious stuff at the event if you want and did not see any of those on the DVD.

I'm leaving on Friday for the Moodies Cruise, busted?
    Not a very fan-friendly cruise then, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Not a very fan-friendly cruise then, right?
    Considering the amount of bands I would respectfully disagree.

You're moving the goalposts. Just admit that your posts here are hypocritical.

You're moving the goalposts. Just admit that your posts here are hypocritical.
    Uhh, no, I don't think so.

You're going to compare going on a ship for 5 days, visiting two ports, eating all sorts of yummy foods, and hanging out with a multitude of bands the entire time with a single concert? Seriously?

Sure.

As a fan, I'd love to attend either (or both), but they both have the same hardships you pointed out about Neal's Snow weekend.

Just come out and say what's really on your mind here - stop pussy-footing around and talk about why you don't like this idea so much.

Sure.

As a fan, I'd love to attend either (or both), but they both have the same hardships you pointed out about Neal's Snow weekend.

Just come out and say what's really on your mind here - stop pussy-footing around and talk about why you don't like this idea so much.
    I hate Christians? I like you, and it's been rumored there might be one or two on the ship, also.

Thanks to this thread, now I know how I can get super-rich!

All I need to do is play one show of a 15 year old prog album at some church in Nashville!

3239475698_54c011e8e1.jpg

Sadly, and I admittedly played into it to a certain extent to make a point or two, but this is following standard course for a Neal Morse thread on PE. I think I will go listen to 'Snow' now to re-focus and reinvigorate the excitement I felt yesterday when reading the announcement about this festival.