Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: An appreciation: Gary Wright and Spooky Tooth

FWIW, the individual albums are available on legal streaming services.

Australian band Masters Apprentices included a great 19 minute version of Evil Woman on thei live album Nickelodeon (1971).
    Last edited by yoyiceu; 02-22-2016 at 08:12 PM.

German band Armageddon had this version of Better by You, Better Than Me on their 1970 album, seven years before Judas Priest recorded theirs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LD6lOBv2q0

The original version

Last edited by yoyiceu; 02-22-2016 at 08:12 PM.

There are several covers of Forget It, I've Got It
    Jazz sax player Harold Ousley's

Last edited by yoyiceu; 02-22-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    If only one LP by them, make it Spooky Two. Props to Mike Kellie.
    Absolute truth. A five star album from start to finish!

And on the subject of covers of tunes Gary Wright has written:

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The well known The Move version of Sunshine Help Me from 1968...

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    There were more bands from that time, once influential and quite popular, that slid into relative obscurity in a similar fashion: Vanilla Fudge, Iron Butterfly, Steppenwolf... Kind of interesting what made their stature wane.
    I think sticking to an end 60s hard rocking formula when most bands were getting at a fast pace, either more complex and elaborate or heavier.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I think Spooky Tooth did evolve, just not as Spooky Tooth: Gary Wright found success with a new synth heavy direction, although retaining the spiritual emphasis of his music, while Mick Jones basically continued with Foreigner the direction the band had been taking since "I Busted Your Jaw', but with more down to earth lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I think sticking to an end 60s hard rocking formula when most bands were getting at a fast pace, either more complex and elaborate or heavier.
    Well, I have to say that I really like that old formula too, especially that it contains a heavy dense organ sound that got eradicated from the 70s rock. How meaty the instrument sounds played by Mark Stein, Gary Wright, Doug Ingle, Goldy McJohn or Jon Lord on the albums from the 60s! You would not hear that sound on classic Purple records with Gillan or Coverdale.
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-23-2016 at 08:27 AM.

Well, I have to say that I really like that old formula too, especially that it contains a heavy dense organ sound that got eradicated from the 70s rock. How meaty the instrument sounds played by Mark Stein, Gary Wright, Doug Ingle, Goldy McJohn or Jon Lord on the albums from the 60s! You would not hear that sound on classic Purple albums with Gillan or Coverdale.
    Agree, but the younger fans thought different... thus gradually the organ became an exception in heavy rock and not the rule.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

A rare live recording of the Mike Patto version of the band...

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Agree, but the younger fans thought different... thus gradually the organ became an exception in heavy rock and not the rule.
    Sad that it came to that. I really miss the expansive palette that the Hammond B3 can bring to the table with respect to how a hard rock tune can be orchestrated.

Well, I have to say that I really like that old formula too, especially that it contains a heavy dense organ sound that got eradicated from the 70s rock. How meaty the instrument sounds played by Mark Stein, Gary Wright, Doug Ingle, Goldy McJohn or Jon Lord on the albums from the 60s! You would not hear that sound on classic Purple records with Gillan or Coverdale.
    Jon Lord was always all over the map on tone. Even on In Rock (Purple's "heaviest" album) he'll sound absolutely contemporary (1970) one minute yet out of date and like Ray Manzarek in 1967 the next.

I agree with the general point, but would disagree that there isn't plenty of "meaty" organ from Jon Lord during Purple's prime popularity.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 02-24-2016 at 02:28 PM.

Spooky II is a classic .
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Haven't seen mention of the 'gospel' component which ST was able to successfully incorporate. Both Wright and Harrison were tremendous singers capable of convincing endeavors into this territory. And Wright was capable of songwriting with a gospel touch which was as convincing as anything of the era, IMO.

Without Wright, it makes less sense for me. Very original and incredibly strong songwriter, sensational singer and excellent organ player. The Last Puff is my least favorite album (aside from Ceremony which is good music ruined by nonsense) but with Wright back it was reasonably strong all the way through to The Mirror.

Funnily enough, the other day I saw an advert using 'Evil Woman' as background music!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Jon Lord was always all over the map on tone. Even on In Rock (Purple's "heaviest" album) he'll sound absolutely contemporary (1970) one minute yet out of date and like Ray Manzarek in 1967 the next.
    For me there is a very distinct change of organ sound between the 60s and 70s, also in Purple. Just compare "Painter" from their 3rd LP to "Living Wreck", perhaps the most organ-heavy number on In Rock. The organ sound on the former is full, expansive and "swirly", while the latter is already a typical early 70s "shriek", squeezed in range and distorted to make a non-distracting accompaniment to the dominating guitar.

Actually I do not like the sound of "In Rock" at all, so when I want to listen to a full body Hammond organ from the 70s I choose Jimmy Smith!

For me there is a very distinct change of organ sound between the 60s and 70s, also in Purple. Just compare "Painter" from their 3rd LP to "Living Wreck", perhaps the most organ-heavy number on In Rock. The organ sound on the former is full, expansive and "swirly", while the latter is already a typical early 70s "shriek", squeezed in range and distorted to make a non-distracting accompaniment to the dominating guitar.

Actually I do not like the sound of "In Rock" at all, so when I want to listen to a full body Hammond organ from the 70s I choose Jimmy Smith!
    In Rock is arguably one of the worst sounding major label productions of all time, but I still love it.

I see what you're saying, but as much as I love some of the late 60s organ tones, I think the 70s was better for the instrument overall. We can point to the best or worst examples in either case, but the fact is that by the early 70s the all too prevalent thin Farfisa "garage" sound was disappearing. While that sound can have a certain charm in a certain context, I think that was progress.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Spooky Two is the only full album I've got...I found out a few years ago on here that it's out of print, how can this be??
    Well, you can get it in the relatively recently released The Island Years (An Anthology) 1967-1974, which has all the albums released during that time. I picked it up as I only remembered a couple albums and, while their output was amongst the most inconsistent of groups from the time that we talk about here, when they were good, they were very, very good; and when they were bad, well....

Great to see The Mirror back in print!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Ring of Changes, the never issued Gary Wright's Wonderwheel album from 1972, featuring Mick Jones on guitar, has been out for awhile in the U.K. Any reviews?

Quote Originally Posted by yoyiceu View Post
    I would rather include Spooky Tooth in the same general area of Free, Bad Company, Humble Pie and the like, but with an added experimental edge. And I certainly think Mike Harrison -and maybe even Gary Wright- are excellent singers, quite R&B tinged. and on the same level as a Paul Rodgers and Steve Marriott, for example.
    I would include them with Humble Pie, but not the others. I would instead substitute Procol Harum(similar instrumentation and vocals)and Scottish rockers Forever More(vocals).

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I would include them with Humble Pie, but not the others. I would instead substitute Procol Harum(similar instrumentation and vocals)and Scottish rockers Forever More(vocals).
    Well, I know thar early on, being an Island act as well, they were compared a lot with Traffic, and the comparison is valid in that, like Traffic, Spooky had two very recognizable lead singers and the style as not strictly blues-rock like most bands at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Bad Company were slicker and more 'meat and potatoes', I think...aimed at the stadiums.
    I heard a Foreigner anthology once that included a song Mick Jones wrote for Spooky Tooth on one of their last albums. That was the one time I thought ST sounded similar to Bad Company.

I first heard Spooky Tooth in the 60's through my sister's hippie friends. It was a very cool experience and even a little scary as I was only 12 years old at the time.....however I came from a family of musicians and had not much interest in anything other than music. Recently I recieved a phone call and was asked to give my personal insight on the band and it was posted on You Tube as a video . The vid presents details about their box set. You can easily find it by typing in Spooky Tooth Box set. It's pretty much a review done by two guys who are very slow and close to being mentally retarded.....lol. I suppose it may have some insight that is worthy?? ..if you want to check it out. I can't post it at this time.