Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RIP Piotr Grudzinski of Riverside

Very sad news indeed. There's nothing I can add that hasn't already been said. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They are a bit on the heavy side but not really prog metal imo. I would say they are sort of a cross between Pink Floyd and later Porcupine Tree and maybe Rush(circa Moving Pictures). They are without a doubt one of the biggest bands in prog these days.
    Thanks. What is considered their best album?

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    They are a bit on the heavy side but not really prog metal imo. I would say they are sort of a cross between Pink Floyd and later Porcupine Tree and maybe Rush(circa Moving Pictures). They are without a doubt one of the biggest bands in prog these days.
    Reasonably apt description. I would add in a dose of Gazpacho's moodiness as well.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Awful. What a tragedy for his family, loved ones and bandmates.
    Great musician.
    It's clear he'll be sorely missed by many.

First song I heard by them was "Loose Heart", and it was that slow build of Piotr's guitar from the quiet, clean start to the crunchy climax that most drew me to the band and made me want to listen to more.

I've sat here listening to the song "Lost" over and over again. Nothing else to say.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I think others would be better suited to answer that than me.

Depends on what you like. For their more subdued, mellow side, their latest is really good. Love, Fear and the Time Machine.

ADHD is one of their heaviest and most energetic.

Me, I like them all and thankful I got to see him and the rest of Riverside in Atl a couple years ago.

Yeah. Drugs strike down the young. Only 40.

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Yeah. Drugs strike down the young. Only 40.
    I'm not doubting you (yet). Where did you see in print that it was drugs, or are you just speculating and attributing his death to (and I agree) the most logical conclusion at that age?

Logical conclusions aren't inevitably the case, so if you've seen something specific that I can't find online, where? If not, please don't list speculation as fact.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Just spun Voices in My Head (an EP from 2006) in memory of him. Very sad news indeed.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

Banned
    RIP Piotr Grudzinski.

The first disc I got was "Rapid Eye Movement" and it seems to represent a wide range of their sound, at least to me.

Very, very sad news.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post

ADHD is one of their heaviest and most energetic.
    My favorite. Great to listen to on the highway, but watch out or you'll suddenly find yourself driving at 90 mph!!

Very sad news

RIP Piotr

Saw this on a Steven Wilson FB update. WAY too young.

RIP, Piotr, and condolences to the band, family, friends and fans.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Very sad to hear this tragic news yesterday. I was only playing lots of Riverside the day before and today have rec'd Love, Fear... on vinyl. Piotr's guitar playing was superb, loads of soul and emotion contained in his beautifully sustained notes. My condolences to his family, friends and band mates. I do hope that Riverside have the heart to carry on.
    RIP Piotr, your music lives on.

Wow, I'm shocked. Saw them in concert in the fall. He looked full of life and energy. Too young to be gone. Rest in Peace.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Depends on what you like. For their more subdued, mellow side, their latest is really good. Love, Fear and the Time Machine.

ADHD is one of their heaviest and most energetic
    I'll 2nd Love, Fear and the Time Machine. I picked this up recently in a batch of discs and this one has got the most plays so far. It's subtle, gentle (in places), reflective, moody, music you can get lost in. Fairly accessible for Prog standards and chock full of superb melodies. Most definitely not metal. Highly recommended.

I also like ADHD though haven't spun it for quite a while. And yes, it's heavy. I wouldn't say heavy in a metal kind of way, though I can see how some listeners would toss it into that category.

As others have written, condolences to his family, friends and band mates.

Just started really getting into Riverside over the past year so this really sucks!!!
    The Prog Corner

I think their last two are brilliant and are my favorites - although they all have merit, to be sure.
    The Prog Corner

Wow .. that sucks.

RIP....
    flute juice

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    RIP

Very sad news. Read this on Steven Davies-Morris's page. This is a sad being that he was quite young and seemingly died suddenly. My condolences to his loved ones and family.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

With a heavy heart Progadelic Escapades will feature the music of the late Piotr Grudzinski and Riverside. The special tribute will be 3 hours longs and start Monday at 8 PM EST with an encore presentation Wednesday at 9 AM EST.

The special tribute can be found at www.deliciousagony.com