Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Floyd's Obscured By Clouds

Banned

Floyd's Obscured By Clouds

Why this album is so underrated?

By the way, Obscured By Clouds is one of my three favourite Floyd's albums, along with Animals and Meddle.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post

By the way, Obscured By Clouds is one of my three favourite Floyd's albums, along with Animals and Meddle.
    Not underrated in my book.. Love this release..

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I guess because it's a movie soundtrack, some parts don't quite work or satisfy. But I think the better tracks are pretty well regarded. But I admit I need to spin it again, so thanks for the reminder.

For me, this is one of Floyd's most boring albums. I remember liking '"Free Four" and one other song, the title of which I forget now. But mostly, my recollection is that this album meanders far too much without ever getting anywhere. It's too atmospheric coupled with too little musical substance - a bad combination. There was almost nothing that ever stuck with me after listening to it. So, that's why *I* never warmed up to it, and in fact purged it from my collection. But I never got the sense it's truly underrated among fans. If anything, *I* think it's OVERrated!!
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

I love it for personal reasons. It brings me back to a special kind of quietness in a particular time in my childhood. (David Gilmour's first solo album has a similar effect).
    In retrospect, I like the fact that it's their less ambitious 70s album - just a collection of songs in some ways. Its vibe reminds me of the first half of Meddle. It has some connections with DSOTM on the lyrical side (the passing of time…), but it sounds like a more relaxed affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post

I quite agree, though I rate More ahead of Obscured. These soundtracks were kinda where the band was allowed the time to learn to be Floyd again; not just a shell of the Syd era band, but to move ahead. I love this post-Syd, pre-Dark Side period, especially Live At Pompeii. Animals is the only later album that I care about.

I don't know either. I've always rated it highly and in my first division of Floyd albums.

A
    Piper
    DSOTM
    Meddle
    Ummagumma
    Obscured
    More
    Relics

B
    Saucerful
    AHM
    WYWH
    Animals
    The Wall
    Final Cut

C
    Everything else

Objectively, it's fairly obvious. It's not really a major work; few, if any, of the songs are particularly well-known outside of die-hard fan circles.

But it's a lovely album, nevertheless, and one I listen to regularly.

Just pulled this out for a listen last week. Yes, it is not a major work, but it has a lot nice little songs.

I like "Free Four", "Bridges Burning", "Stay" and "Wots Uh the Deal" - the rest I can live without.

But I'm a Piper guy at heart to begin with, so who am I to judge.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

To answer the OPs post I think it is "underrated" mostly because of what came next... But as many of you say it was not supposed to be a "major" release. It is too low-key, calm, ambient even. I love it. Perfect album for a Saturday in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    To answer the OPs post I think it is "underrated" mostly because of what came next... But as many of you say it was not supposed to be a "major" release. It is too low-key, calm, ambient even. I love it. Perfect album for a Saturday in the summer.
    Yeah by all accounts it was made during the recording of DSOTM.. which is why I find it fascinating.. Floyd was so full of ideas at that time..
    "The group had already started working on The Dark Side of the Moon at this point, having done some basic recording and performed the piece live several times, but work was interrupted when the band travelled to France on two separate trips, either side of a Japanese tour, to write and record music for the film.[5] The album was then mixed from 4–6 April at Morgan Sound Studios in London." (per Wikipedia)

Not underrated by me. Without all of the studio polish that comes after. All the band members are given room to shine. Higher chart rating then Meddle which surprised me when I first learned it. Of all the pre-DSOTM albums, this is the one I reach for most but I'm big PF fan and the only ones that don't still get playtime are Piper and More

It's good but I can't really say much more than that. Anyway, has anyone ever noticed that one of the songs on here sounds a lot like Steely Dan? Well, imo anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Not underrated by me. Without all of the studio polish that comes after. All the band members are given room to shine. Higher chart rating then Meddle which surprised me when I first learned it. Of all the pre-DSOTM albums, this is the one I reach for most but I'm big PF fan and the only ones that don't still get playtime are Piper and More

Terrific album. Wots uh the deal one of the great unsung (in every way!) Floyd songs.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    For me, this is one of Floyd's most boring albums.
    Agreed. I enjoy the opening instrumentals and “Absolutely Curtains,” the rest is the last gasp of Folkie Floyd, but there’s no “A Pillow of Winds” on this album, that’s for sure. Reminds me of the B-side of AHM, which I likewise found mediocre and dull. Except there seems to be a ...country-ish flavour (?) to the songs here. Whatever it is, it doesn’t appeal to me, and the songs are just a big blur of forgettable, throwaway mediocrity for me. I can never wait for this album to end. I’d much prefer to listen to More.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

This is a very strong album, though it doesn't quite reach the highs of Piper or Atom Heart Mother, it certainly is a far more interesting work than all the following albums. But, I am one of the few people that find Dark Side to be one of the most dull albums in existence.

One of my favorites. Animals, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH, Obscured would be how I'd rate my favorites.

Banned
    "Bridges Burning" is a great recording to pull out when demonstrating mid-range/vocal prowess of a good stereo system. It's amazing what a single quality up-close mic can do whether it's now the 70's or even the 50's.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Agreed. I enjoy the opening instrumentals and “Absolutely Curtains,” the rest is the last gasp of Folkie Floyd, but there’s no “A Pillow of Winds” on this album, that’s for sure. Reminds me of the B-side of AHM, which I likewise found mediocre and dull. Except there seems to be a ...country-ish flavour (?) to the songs here. Whatever it is, it doesn’t appeal to me, and the songs are just a big blur of forgettable, throwaway mediocrity for me. I can never wait for this album to end. I’d much prefer to listen to More.
    Agree about the instrumentals, especially the opening track. A sign of what was to come.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I guess because it's a movie soundtrack, some parts don't quite work or satisfy. But I think the better tracks are pretty well regarded. But I admit I need to spin it again, so thanks for the reminder.
    Could never really get into this album, even after seeing the movie.... But I think one must see the movie in order to appreciate the OST (this is valid for the other Barbet Shroeder/Floyd movie More) better, but even then, this won't make it in my pantheon ... it's like the odd one out in their 70's AHM-The Wall near-perfect run.

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    For me, this is one of Floyd's most boring albums. I remember liking '"Free Four" and one other song, the title of which I forget now. But mostly, my recollection is that this album meanders far too much without ever getting anywhere. It's too atmospheric coupled with too little musical substance - a bad combination. There was almost nothing that ever stuck with me after listening to it. So, that's why *I* never warmed up to it, and in fact purged it from my collection. But I never got the sense it's truly underrated among fans. If anything, *I* think it's OVERrated!!
    well, it is sometimes relatively boring (there are lengths, just like in the movie proper) and some tracks are weak (Floyd always did include some weaker tracks until DSOTM, like Seamus, San Tropez or Breakfast)

Anyways, OBC simply can't compete with AHM, Meddle, DSOTM, WYWH , Animal & Wall

I don't find OBC any better than Gilmour or Wright's 70's solo album
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    (...) (David Gilmour's first solo album has a similar effect). (...)
    My favourite solo album by David Gilmour

Imo, the best solo album by all of those solo albums that were recorded by the members of the band.

I think it's "rated" about right. A not-terrible album that, in the context of when it was released, didn't really fit.

Personally, I don't think it has much that is worth coming back to very often.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HeadingSouth View Post
    (...) I am one of the few people that find Dark Side to be one of the most dull albums in existence.
    +1

I don't think it was very well promoted (at least stateside) at the time (or at all, considering it was a soundtrack to a French film). Plus it has the unenviable position of being sandwiched between two of PF's greatest works.

That said, any album that has an out and out Rick Wright track on it ("Stay") is OK in my book. It sort of comes off as Dark Side-lite, but is always an easy and pleasant listen for moi.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.