Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44

Thread: Golden Earring

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,381

    Golden Earring

    Playing "To the Hilt" right now and must say these guys produced some great music. I may need to explore them further.

  2. #2
    Member davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    269
    My favorites are To the Hilt, Mad Love (or Contraband), Moontan & and some of the earlier stuff. Some great stuff came later too. George Kooymans and Rinus Gerrittson are the core members and have been playing together since they were kids. GE is actually the longest working rock band, getting together prior to the Stones. But Barry and Cesar have been with them since the mid-late 60's.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Playing "To the Hilt" right now and must say these guys produced some great music. I may need to explore them further.
    TTH is my favourite album of theirs. I really love the dimension R. J. Stips adds with his keyboard/synth contributions (to say nothing of the string arrangement on “Violins”), but I also enjoy the songs on this one. Moontan is another good one (if a fairly obvious choice). Not all that fond of Contraband as an album, but “Mad Love’s Comin’” might be their #1 song ever! Any song with a riff that infectious deserves respect!

    Hilariously, Jaap Eggermont (their original drummer) was the man behind all those cheesy Stars on 45 medleys!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  4. #4
    Moontan and TTH are the ones I've kept. Both good. The former makes a grand candidate for the ultimate "thinking man's 70s hard rock" album, IMHO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

  5. #5
    Golden Earring had a hit every decade whether they needed one or not.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

    Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

  6. #6
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,274
    Walls Of Dolls , S/T (aka 8 Miles High), Moontan, Seven Tears and Mad Liove/Contraband and the Double Live are the ones I kept

    TBH, TTH ? Switch and Together are really not their best, IMHO
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia Area
    Posts
    1,381
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Walls Of Dolls , S/T (aka 8 Miles High), Moontan, Seven Tears and Mad Liove/Contraband and the Double Live are the ones I kept

    TBH, TTH ? Switch and Together are really not their best, IMHO
    Thanks I'll check into these titles.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    TTH is my favourite album of theirs. I really love the dimension R. J. Stips adds with his keyboard/synth contributions (to say nothing of the string arrangement on “Violins”), but I also enjoy the songs on this one. Moontan is another good one (if a fairly obvious choice). Not all that fond of Contraband as an album, but “Mad Love’s Comin’” might be their #1 song ever! Any song with a riff that infectious deserves respect!

    Hilariously, Jaap Eggermont (their original drummer) was the man behind all those cheesy Stars on 45 medleys!
    I'm not sure what is hilarious on that one. Golden Earrings, with Jaap Eggermont, where more a beatgroup. Beside a guy has to make a living and I suppose those medleys brought him the money.

    b.t.w. Chris Hinze (Dutch flute-player, who played all kinds of music, including some jazz) teached Barry Hay some flute.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Enschede, The Netherlands
    Posts
    8
    Don't forget to check out the first live double album "Golden Earring Live". Ex-Cuby + The Blizzards guitarist Eelco Gelling was a band member when they recorded that one. Great versions of the best material from "Eight Miles High" (notably shorter than the album version) to the mid-seventies.

  10. #10
    I've only ever heard a handful of their songs here and there. The first thing I actually remember hearing by them was Twilight Zone, which I always thought was a cool song. The b-side of that single was a great non-album track called King Dark, which as far as I can tell has never been issued elsewhere.

    I remember MTV showing a Golden Earring concert circa 83-84, and during the drum solo, their drummer puts on this jacket covered in sensors, which basically allows him to play an electronic drum solo, by tapping various areas on the sleeves and chest area of the jacket.

  11. #11
    Member davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    269
    I don't cafe for 'Troubles and Hassles' or 'Tons of Time', but the rest of Switch I like quite a bit.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember MTV showing a Golden Earring concert circa 83-84, and during the drum solo, their drummer puts on this jacket covered in sensors, which basically allows him to play an electronic drum solo, by tapping various areas on the sleeves and chest area of the jacket.
    That concert generated a live album, Something Heavy Going Down. Finally came out on CD in 2001 when Redbullet remastered their catalogue.

    Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I don't cafe for 'Troubles and Hassles' or 'Tons of Time', but the rest of Switch I like quite a bit.
    Side 1 of Switch is fantastic, but I never listen to the B-side.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  13. #13
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Thanks I'll check into these titles.
    If you do, Walls Of Dolls is actually often referred as s/t... but there is a track that fits the artwork, so it's often referred as such.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurm View Post
    Don't forget to check out the first live double album "Golden Earring Live". Ex-Cuby + The Blizzards guitarist Eelco Gelling was a band member when they recorded that one. Great versions of the best material from "Eight Miles High" (notably shorter than the album version) to the mid-seventies.
    if you must only own one GE album, this should be it... Though it contains a lot of Mad Love/Contraband tracks, they're very solid... and early albums (7T, WoD, 8MH)are not present enough, IMHO >> basically it features tracks m-from Moontan and ML:C

    I always dream of an expanded GEL release that would include a full concert
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  14. #14
    For me the s/t (aka "Wall of Dolls") is their best album. Then "Seven Tears", "Moontan", "Together", "To the Hilt", side A of "Eight Miles High" and 2/3 of "Switch".
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  15. #15
    Never liked them enough to buy any of their albums. Have some concerts I recorded from television, but that is all. Hear them enough on the radio.

  16. #16
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    For me the s/t (aka "Wall of Dolls") is their best album. Then "Seven Tears", "Moontan", "Together", "To the Hilt", side A of "Eight Miles High" and 2/3 of "Switch".
    if the B-side was a good as the A-side, this might have been their best album.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    103
    Major Golden Earring fan here. I have most of their albums and to my ears, they've made great records since the late 60's onwards, not only during the early-mid 70's. Their output from the 80's, 90's is really strong. 2nd Live is rockier than the first double live album. Wonderful stuff!

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    if the B-side was a good as the A-side, this might have been their best album.
    Indeed...
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  19. #19
    Could anyone give an overview of their 60s (Golden Earrings) and their post-Cut output?
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 04-19-2016 at 01:32 PM.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  20. #20
    You want titles, or more information on the music?
    1965 Just Earrings (LP)
    1967 Winter harvest (LP)
    1967 The beast and me (LP) Golden Earrings with Cees Schrama
    1968 Greatest Hits (LP)
    1968 Miracle mirror (LP)
    1969 On the double (2LP)
    1969 Highlights from on the double (LP)
    1969 Reflection (LP)
    1969 Eight miles high (LP)

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Could anyone give an overview of their 60s (Golden Earrings) and their post-Cut output?
    The only 60s albums I’ve heard are Winter Harvest and Eight Miles High. The former is a very different animal, essentially straight early Beatles-style (“moptop” era) 60s rock. It was their last album with their original singer, Frans Krassenburg. OK for what it is, I suppose. Despite the presence of Barry Hay, I am led to understand that Miracle Mirror and On the Double are similar.

    Eight Miles High is a different animal, with none of the British Invasion pop-rock influence, far more of a psychedelic/proto-prog heavy rock album. The side long version of the Byrds song the album takes its title from is worth the ticket of entry.

    Apart from some of their unplugged live output, the only post-Cut album I’ve heard is The Hole. It’s a worthy album without being a classic. “Quiet Eyes” was the “hit.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

  22. #22
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post

    Eight Miles High is a different animal, with none of the British Invasion pop-rock influence, far more of a psychedelic/proto-prog heavy rock album. The side long version of the Byrds song the album takes its title from is worth the ticket of entry.
    I beg to differ... I really love the album's A-side but I really wish 8MH had been cut to 7 or 8 minutes and leave spade for two more tracks like Devil's Servant or Everyday's Torture. Had that happened, this album would be as good as Seven Tears or Moontan (the music on the US version is much better than the European one)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I beg to differ... I really love the album's A-side but I really wish 8MH had been cut to 7 or 8 minutes and leave spade for two more tracks like Devil's Servant or Everyday's Torture. Had that happened, this album would be as good as Seven Tears or Moontan (the music on the US version is much better than the European one)
    Exactly!
    Macht das ohr auf!

    COSMIC EYE RECORDS

  24. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    The only 60s albums I’ve heard are Winter Harvest and Eight Miles High. The former is a very different animal, essentially straight early Beatles-style (“moptop” era) 60s rock. It was their last album with their original singer, Frans Krassenburg. OK for what it is, I suppose. Despite the presence of Barry Hay, I am led to understand that Miracle Mirror and On the Double are similar.

    Eight Miles High is a different animal, with none of the British Invasion pop-rock influence, far more of a psychedelic/proto-prog heavy rock album. The side long version of the Byrds song the album takes its title from is worth the ticket of entry.

    Apart from some of their unplugged live output, the only post-Cut album I’ve heard is The Hole. It’s a worthy album without being a classic. “Quiet Eyes” was the “hit.”
    Thank you.

    Golden Earrings on Capitol, I think it was a repress made to cash in on the success of Radar Love. Will have to pick it up next time I spot it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

  25. #25
    Member davis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Kentuckiana
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Thank you.

    Golden Earrings on Capitol, I think it was a repress made to cash in on the success of Radar Love. Will have to pick it up next time I spot it.
    here you go http://www.amazon.com/Moontan-Golden...ywords=moontan

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •