Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Which Renaissance song (or songs) you'd be most interested in hearing covered?

Poll: Which Renaissance song (or songs) you'd be most interested in hearing covered?

I have wanted to do this for decades and I think I have finally found a vocalist that can help me make this happen. My love of Renaissance runs deep,.. they are/were a very special band for me. For you Renaissance fans out there,... what song or songs would you be most interested in hearing this kind of thing done with (assuming you would)? I certainly have my favorites,... but I thought asking the question would help to narrow things down, or help me consider some that I'd overlooked. Thank you in advance!
    Genuine prog album from back in the day! - *free download* : masquepremiere.bandcamp.com

If a female vocalist could do Annie Haslam justice, which is a huge if, I'd go for Things I Don't Understand, Spare Some Love or Scheherazade if you could pull that one off.

The only band I've heard cover Renaissance is Blackmore's Night doing Ocean Gypsy.

Basically, I'd say anything from Prologue through Scheherazade would be fine, very few duds on those albums. Go for the sleeper tracks, like On the Frontier, and Vultures Fly High that would be a fun surprise. Try to do something a bit new with them to make them your own too.

Bill

“Face of Yesterday.”

From the Annie era: “Can You Hear Me?” or “Forever Changing.”
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

"Can You Hear Me" and "A Trip To The Fair"!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    I have wanted to do this for decades and I think I have finally found a vocalist that can help me make this happen. My love of Renaissance runs deep,.. they are/were a very special band for me. For you Renaissance fans out there,... what song or songs would you be most interested in hearing this kind of thing done with (assuming you would)? I certainly have my favorites,... but I thought asking the question would help to narrow things down, or help me consider some that I'd overlooked. Thank you in advance!
    Kiev
    On the Frontier
    Mother Russia
    Trip to the Fair
    The Sisters
    Day of the Dreamer
    Forever Changing
    Ukraine Ways

So much good material. I would go with Ashes Are Burning, Carpet of the Sun, Running Hard, Black Flame, ANYTHING off of Scheherazade and Novella, A Song For All Seasons, Opening Out/Day of the Dreamer and the Winter Tree. Sorry I haven't narrowed it down much. (Yes, I'm a huge fan.)
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

I've always thought a heavier band could do interesting things with "Mother Russia".

This actually a rather interesting exercise. For Me, i suppose you would want to work up a version of Black Flame and Running Hard. After that, its pretty much which ones you feel you can do something interesting with. There so much good material. I second the idea that if you can work out versions that are more aggressive / harder (or have more improvisation worked in) without sounding ridiculous that's undoubtedly a good thing

At least to me.
    regards & good luck!
    KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    If a female vocalist could do Annie Haslam justice, which is a huge if, I'd go for Things I Don't Understand, Spare Some Love or Scheherazade if you could pull that one off.

The only band I've heard cover Renaissance is Blackmore's Night doing Ocean Gypsy.
    When I saw this post, the first song I thought of was "Spare Some Love" and then thought "no one else would EVER pick that sing." Really love the chorus, but felt the break before the bridge/middle could have used some work.

The Golden Key
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Probably go with either "Mother Russia" or "Ashes Are Burning".

I would love to hear someone else do the great poppy chorus of Winter Tree, but only if its a great job....

Mine would be "A trip to the fair" but I doubt any cover could convey the magic of the studio version for me.

the only problem with covering Renaissance is getting a vocalist who can come any close to Annie Haslam.

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    the only problem with covering Renaissance is getting a vocalist who can come any close to Annie Haslam.
    I'd want to hear something totally different, not just a copy of the original.

Best of luck with this project. I hope you can come to the SF Bay Area, as Renaissance never does, sadly.

I have a soft spot for Carpet of the Sun....(my first band in high school played it at our Student Varieties show.)

One of my ex-wives insisted on "Let It Grow" being about fellatio, and I have to say that if it's still unintended, the lyrics are pretty neat that way. It's such a lovely tune.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

A Song for All Seasons

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    A Song for All Seasons
    Such an amazing song- one of my favorites by anyone.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

How about At The Harbor and The Flood at Lyons, two of my underrated faves.

Touching Once (Is So Hard To Keep)
    Running Hard
    Can You Understand?
    Things I don't Understand
    At The Harbor
    Prologue
    Trip To The Fair
    Vultures Fly High
    Day Of The Dreamer
    Can You Hear Me?
    Mother Russia
    Ashes Are Burning

And you would have to do "Carpet Of The Sun", just because...
    Last edited by Man In The Mountain; 02-24-2016 at 12:55 PM.

Since Jon Camp was one of the reasons I played Bass and owned a Rick, I'll go with Ashes are Burning form Carnegie Hall version.
    Hyfi
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Systen - Rotel 1072 > VAC CLA1 MKII > Counterpoint NPS 400 > Clearfield Continentals > Synergystic Reserch
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Secondary - Oppo 93 > Hafler 945 Pre-Tuner > Odyssey Stratos+> Dynaudio Audience 82s > Tara Labs & Zip Cord

Neal Morse Band- A Song For All Seasons.
    Pat Benatar- Can You Understand
    Jon Anderson- Ocean Gypsy