Thread: Tommy Bolin - 'Savannah Woman'

Tommy Bolin - 'Savannah Woman'

Good Morning Saturday .... Music Folks!

While having breakfast - I was listening to the 'Teaser' release from/by Tommy Bolin. Fine, fine release that took me back to my VW Beetle, Alpine Audio and Cricket speaker days. Just wanted to state how much I appreciated the song 'Savannah Woman' . Made my morning before I go out and snowthrow the driveway!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Never heard of him.

Are you Chris Buckley? This probably shouldn't be on the main page.

Agreed, damn fine song and entire album ... even the studio outtakes. A shame he pissed his life away with drugs.

Tommy Bolin was an excellent musician. Saw him live back in 1976. Great show!! I have both of his albums plus some other live releases from his estate. His work with Deep Purple and Billy Cobham are great as well. And yes, it sure is a shame that he threw his life away with drugs.

Quadrant Four, nuff said.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar

I always thought it a bit odd that there is a Dean Tommy Bolin Signature guitar.

As far as I knew, Tommy Bolin never played an Explorer-like guitar. Outside of a few Japanese-made odds'n'ends late in his life, it was basically always Les Pauls and Strats.

I always like this James Gang album -- Tommy Bolin's last appearance with James Gang...

My favourite Tommy Bolin?

1. psych-folk-blues-hard-rock band Zephyr fronted by Candy Givens; the first album is of an acquired tasted due to unhinged vocals, but their second album "Going Back to Colorado" has a lot of "Californian" charm
    2. Energy, an underdocumented psych-jazz-rock group - only a few posthumous live recordings and compilations survived

Always liked "People, People" for Hammers Hammond & drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    2. Energy, an underdocumented psych-jazz-rock group - only a few posthumous live recordings and compilations survived

Thanks for the info on Bolin's band Energy. I wasn't aware they had existed until I did a bit of research and saw they existed, albeit briefly, in 1972. I believe the Energy period was possibly when Jeff Beck saw Tommy playing at a bar and many months later recommended him to The James Gang as a replacement for their departed second guitarist.

That Energy track "Red Skies" was finally released for the first time in 1974 on James Gang's Miami album.

The record label Tommy Bolin Archives released this album back in 2000...

Quote Originally Posted by Onomatopoeic View Post
    The record label Tommy Bolin Archives released this album back in 2000...

Yes, it is a compilation of various studio recordings. I would also recommend their best quality live tapes from Boulder and Sioux City, released as Tommy Bolin & Energy Live:

https://www.discogs.com/es/Tommy-Bol...elease/4057428
    http://www.tbolin.com/reviews/energy...inernotes.html

For good overview of Bolin's solo career (including Energy and various off-shot sessions) one may check these three compilations: "From the Archives Vol. 1", "Whirlwind" and predominantly unplugged "Snapshot" (alternatively "The Ultimate: Redux" which assembles a bulk of this material on 3 CDs). Lots of great stuff on the more jazzy and, dare I say, "progressive" side of his work.

Here is his psychedelic rendition of "Sister Andrea" from the first compilation disc (and Redux set too), recorded with Jeremy Steig, which I like much better than any Mahavishnu's original version:

I liked his work with Zephyr, The James Gang and Cobham. Disliked Come Taste and still regard Last Concert in Japan as one of the worst 'rock' live albums of all time.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Disliked Come Taste and still regard Last Concert in Japan as one of the worst 'rock' live albums of all time.
    Yeah, Come Taste the Band is rather weak (although I like last 3 soulful numbers) and Last Concert is plain dreadful, however there are some better recordings of Purple with Bolin available, namely:

- California rehearsals from June 1975 (originally released as "Days May Come") - just impromptu jams but pretty good ones in their own category
    - Long Beach, Feb 1976 show (originally released on King Biscuit series) - the band is already in disarray but Tommy actually tries to play here
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 02-22-2016 at 09:49 AM.