Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We call it Prog- But how do past and present artists discribe their music?

The funny thing is the majority of prog "prog heroes" deny they belong to prog: Fripp, Ian Anderson, Hamill & Banton, Steven Wilson/PT, Opeth, Marillion (Hogarth-era), etc.
    In some extreme cases they even said something really bad and rude about prog (Jem Godfrey from Frost).

The reason for that in reality, I guess, they were/are afraid their association with the "dirty" word would harm their commercial success. Seems like majority of prog fans don't care about the weird situation that their idols dislike and even disgrace the genre they like in public .

One of rare exceptions: Rick Wakeman and most of his Yes former colleagues that are not afraid to call their music prog.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    (...)

One of rare exceptions: Rick Wakeman and most of his Yes former colleagues that are not afraid to call their music prog.
    Perhaps the reason was that they weren't thrilled with the terms *flash-rock* and *techno-rock*

"(...) Wakeman was brought [to the band] the whole artillery of the keyboards tricks - sparking new comparisons with Keith Emerson - and led Yes deeper into the area of what became known as "flash" or "techno-rock" (...) The band has maintained its popularity, although in the mid-seventies, the term "techno-rock" lost some of its influence and began to be used in a pejorative sense. (...)

From The Illustrated New Musical Express Encyclopedia of Rock by Nick Logan and Bob Woffinden (Salamander Books Limited, London 1976)

Suspended
    ^^ "Permissive rock" sounds like R-rated or X-rated. It conjures up images of songs like "Hot Pants Explosion" by the B-52s.

aint too many music artists who like putting themselves in any pigeonhole box

most great artists who have played Progressive Rock music have also done other styles like Jazz and Classical and even Pop
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    In an interview about 10 years ago, Steve Hackett used the term "permissive rock", in an effort to describe music that allows influences from: rock, classical, folk, jazz, world music, metal, etc.

I actually quite like that. It describes the music to a large extent, without having the baggage of having to somehow live up to the notion that it has to "progress".

Another good thing about that term, is it doesn't pigeon hole the music into any specific style, sound, or instrumentation.

Bands as diverse as, Thinking Plague, Marillion, Dream Theater, The Contortionist, IQ, YES and so many other unique bands all fit under that umbrella.
    Yes, that's quite bright of Mr. Hackett.

How does "Permissive Ears" sound?
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Yes, that's quite bright of Mr. Hackett.

How does "Permissive Ears" sound?

Or "Permfest" or "BajaPerm"?
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Permfest has a nice ring to it. BajaPerm not so much.

Artists have a right to call their music whatever they like. But if we're talking about them on here there's a really good chance that the term "Prog" applies. Sorry Ian, Steve (H and W), Robert Fripp, et al
    The Prog Corner

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by simon moon
    All festivals would have to be held in the Great White North, and be called "Permafrost."
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    All festivals would have to be held in the Great White North, and be called "Permafrost."

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Or in Van Nuys, now as Spermafrost.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Jefferson James
    Rock and roll.

The funny thing is the majority of prog "prog heroes"
    Heroes? This is just music, nothing more.

A hero is a person who does something dangerous so that others might live.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    From memory, I first started to hear the term "fusion" some time in the early 1980's.
    Thanks. Not being a genre I listen to I wasn't sure.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Robert Fripp disowned the term Progressive Rock in the late eighties and nineties.
    Wilson denied being "prog" as long as it was a four-letter dirty word during the 90-05 era... ever since, he's ok with it

I suspect Fripp did the same (he must've known dinosaurs listened to ELP)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Or "SPermfest" or "BajaSPerm"?

.... confused.gif

Naaaahhh!!!... wall.gif
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Heroes? This is just music, nothing more.

A hero is a person who does something dangerous so that others might live.

The funny thing is the majority of prog "prog heroes" deny they belong to prog: Fripp, Ian Anderson
    Ian Anderson once hosted an MTV special about progressive rock in the mid 1980s. He wasn't shying away from the label then, but maybe he changed his mind later.