Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We call it Prog- But how do past and present artists discribe their music?

We call it Prog- But how do past and present artists discribe their music?

Robert Fripp disowned the term Progressive Rock in the late eighties and nineties. Rick Wakeman and Dave Cousins embraced it. Some artists resented being classified with any tag.

How do your favorite artists classify their music. Progressive Rock or not?
    Last edited by StevegSr; 02-22-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

None.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Hammill answers the question by saying that VdGG was an "underground" group.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    None.
    I never got into None Rock. Must be for jazz fans.

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    I never got into None Rock. Must be for jazz fans.
    No. I'm not that much of an actual "jazz fan", although I admire much jazz for sure. In fact I've only got about 60-70 albums of bonafide jazz in my collection. Most of the remaining components are rock, folk and obscure marching bands' music. I Guess that asnwers Your initial question, though.

Besides, PeterG will be here in a few minutes to rip this thread apart with the art of definite definitions. Pure poetry right there, see?
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 02-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No. I'm not that much of an actual "jazz fan", although I admire much jazz for sure. In fact I've only got about 60-70 albums of bonafide jazz in my collection. Most of the remaining components are rock, folk and obscure marching bands' music. I Guess that asnwers Your initial question, though.

Besides, PeterG will be here in a few minutes to rip this thread apart with the art of definite definitions. Pure poetry right there, see?
    Yes, I'd like to see him rip apart None Rock.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Steve Hogarth never really seems to accept the Prog mantle. Mark Kelly and Steve Rothery can't really deny it, having been in the band when it was called Silmarillion. Actually, I forget if Mark Kelly was in it when it was called Silmarillion or not, but since he was in Chemical Alice he still can't deny it.

Probably no one in Pink Floyd would ever admit it, but since they did a song about a gnome...

Let he who is without widdley cast the first stone.

Suspended
    Steven Wilson used to dislike the label "progressive rock" being applied to Porcupine Tree, as he felt the term had come to denote a fairly specific type of rock music, implying that it needed to sound like Genesis, Yes, or Pink Floyd. Later on however he became more comfortable with it when it started to get applied to bands like Radiohead, who Wilson thought were genuinely progressive as opposed to recycling the sounds of the early 1970's.

He has however said that he always thought of Porcupine Tree simply as a "rock band".

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Steven Wilson used to dislike the label "progressive rock" being applied to Porcupine Tree, as he felt the term had come to denote a fairly specific type of rock music, implying that it needed to sound like Genesis, Yes, or Pink Floyd.
    Strange, because they did sound like Pink Floyd.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    You call it prog. We call it maze.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    (...)

How do your favorite artists classify their music. Progressive Rock or not?
    R.M. Točak, the guitar virtuoso and leader of my favorite Yugo-prog band Smak, said in his 2015 interview that Smak's music was "just rock".

Personally, I never cared how my favorite prog artists classified themselves; the classification belong to us, the fans.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Strange, because they did sound like Pink Floyd.
    Well, he admitted that in the early days there was maybe a bit too much overt Pink Floyd influence, and he regretted it later. That's probably why the term "progressive rock" embarrassed him a little.

It's all a part of rock music.

Except for the parts that might be better categorized as jazz.

Well, he admitted that in the early days there was maybe a bit too much overt Pink Floyd influence, and he regretted it later. That's probably why the term "progressive rock" embarrassed him a little.
    I think for the most part, the PF influences in Porcupine Tree were in the very early days. 'The Sky moves sideways' being the most glaringly blatant. After that, an occasional reference could be heard (such as on 'Time Flies'), but I don't know that I would resign PT's overall musical output as "sounding like" Pimk Floyd, per the original comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    R.M. Točak, the guitar virtuoso and leader of my favorite Yugo-prog band Smak, said in his 2015 interview that Smak's music was "just rock".
    A much better name than "Unjust Rock."

Steven Wilson

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We call it Prog
    Say it plainly
    The human name
    Doesn't mean shit to a tree - Paul Kantner/Grace Slick
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    "Mazola!"

Steve Howe seems to have embraced the prog label rather warmly.

What I've noticed over the years is a slight shift: in the '80s and '90s, prog was a "bad word" and so was often rejected by people who otherwise made proggy music but wanted to be commercially viable; however, now the 'stigma' is mostly gone, but I see progressive musicians rejecting the label because they don't want to be seen as retro or derivative.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "Mazola!"
    I did mispell maize though
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yes, that Mazola commercial did pop into my head as I was typing up my post!

pop music
    underground
    art rock

BTW, yesterday I came across an old "fusion" compilation from as recently as 1977, and the word fusion was nowhere to be found anywhere on the sleeve or the liner notes, however the album was called "Jazz Rock" and the term jazz rock appears several times in the liner notes.

So, fusion, a new (ish) term?

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    pop music
    underground
    art rock

BTW, yesterday I came across an old "fusion" compilation from as recently as 1977, and the word fusion was nowhere to be found anywhere on the sleeve or the liner notes, however the album was called "Jazz Rock" and the term jazz rock appears several times in the liner notes.

So, fusion, a new (ish) term?
    From memory, I first started to hear the term "fusion" some time in the early 1980's.

In an interview about 10 years ago, Steve Hackett used the term "permissive rock", in an effort to describe music that allows influences from: rock, classical, folk, jazz, world music, metal, etc.

I actually quite like that. It describes the music to a large extent, without having the baggage of having to somehow live up to the notion that it has to "progress".

Another good thing about that term, is it doesn't pigeon hole the music into any specific style, sound, or instrumentation.

Bands as diverse as, Thinking Plague, Marillion, Dream Theater, The Contortionist, IQ, YES and so many other unique bands all fit under that umbrella.
    Last edited by simon moon; 02-21-2016 at 03:18 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

^ Permissive Rock is a good one. We should start calling it Superior Rock. That'll really piss off critics.