Thread: Baba Scholae 69-Newly unearthed/released cd

Baba Scholae- 69-Newly unearthed/released cd

This cd recently came to my attention while perusing Wayside's new releases.It sounded interesting,something that was never released and was finally seeing the light of day,to many progressive music fans delight.(i'd never heared of it before reading the blurb).Jean-Yves Labat de Rossi was the main man behind Baba Scholae,later to move to the USA,hook up with Todd Rundgren and under the name M. Frog, play synth with Utopia.

To the music on Baba Scholae- 69.....words like proto-progressive, psych, folk rock..have been bandied about to describe the sound.I'll leave it you, dear reader, to form your own opinion on this matter. I can say that i hear the sound of quality when i've played this cd,(twice in last 24 hours since it arrived at Penthouse Walt yesterday.It has grown on me mightily with each listen.A winner.

p.s.-this was recorded in London in 1969.

Check out the clip.It's the first track on the cd.Enjoy.
    Last edited by walt; 01-16-2013 at 07:05 AM.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

One of the top three reissues/unearthed items of 2012. Essential and two years ahead of its time...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Damn does that ever sound like Greg Lake singing.

Knew about the imminent release from Tom's blog. It's on my "to-get" list.

I'll add that it's a superb sounding recording.All instruments wonderfully balanced,bass audible under every minute of the music.

Damn, that was beautiful...right up my alley. Must get this CD.

Jean-Yves is a nice guy too. I had a couple of exchanges with him just prior to this album coming out. Someone had sent me a CD-R of this material about 9 months ago, and I never got around to listening to it. After finally getting to it, I wanted to know more about this "pending" reissue. That lead me to Jean-Yves direct, and he was only a few days away from releasing it! It was just crazy timing. Like Spyros says, I think this album is easily one full year ahead of its time (if not two). The first track recalls first album Cressida. There's some psych pop stuff too, which is more typical. In that way it reminds me of the equally obscure, but fascinating Popera Cosmic album that William Sheller was a part of.

Here's another outstanding track from this cd.This is track 2,titled Half Day.

Totally digging this.