Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackmore not invited to play with DP at RRHOF Induction

Blackmore not invited to play with DP at RRHOF Induction

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...emony-20160219

I realize he was pretty arrogant back in the day, but let's face it- Deep Purple would not have made the RRHOF without him.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    And now isn't he just a mellow, old guy who plays with his wife in the woods? Man, these RRHOF deals can be the final arena for all the previous band bad blood. I forget, Floyd must have been inducted, right? How did that go down?

Ritchie's work with Blackmore's Night is some of the best work he's ever done. His playing is every bit as good as it ever was.

Sure, it might not fit the taste of some here, but it's hardly dismissible.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

As I understand it, the article just says that the current band members are unwilling to play with Blackmore, nothing more. It's his choice not to attend.

I'm sorry, but this travelling erstwhile band of rock retreads touring currently isn't really Deep Purple anymore, is it? Is there anyone on earth who thinks of Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore (or Jon Lord, for that matter)? What number is Deep Purple at currently Mark VII or VIII? They're going to run out of Roman numerals soon. I saw Purple in 1973, and they were great. My ears rang for a week. That's the band at their height and when they actually mattered.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

This was mentioned on the Rock Hall thread. It's one of those situations again where something fans have campaigned for gets tainted by the act themselves. I saw it with The Hollies in 2010, when they were inducted.

To have Ritchie Blackmore back on stage with them, as some of the rifts have apparently been healed with time, would have attracted considerable attention as he hasn't played with them for over 20 years. But it was felt more important to prioritise the current line-up of the band, who regularly tour.

Rock and Roll Hall of Angst and Recrimination

It would indeed have been a smart, elegant move to play with Blackmore on this occasion.
    On the other hand, I understand their decision based on the fact that Morse and Airey aren't inducted.

Personally, I've never had a problem with the idea of DP going on without Blackmore. I feel Blackmore's departure in the 90s gave the other members a breath of fresh air. But DP without Blackmore AND Lord will always feel strange. I still like the current band's material and dedication to playing music.

Current DP is Gillan Band under banner of Deep Purple - it's not big secret for anyone. Blackmore, along with Curtis and Lord, was the co-founder of Deep Purple - and even the name was his idea. Now he is the only founder, who is alive. Paice not counted - he was hired by Lord and Blackmore, when the group already existed. Blackmore said in some interviews, that he is not interested in Hall of Fame induction. His argument was that along with greats, many rather obscure persons inducted, and some of them aren't rock and roll artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post

Personally, I've never had a problem with the idea of DP going on without Blackmore.
    Me neither- I thought Now What? was rather good, for instance, and I dig out Purpendicular from time to time. But these are albums which appeal to people who are already die-hard fans, not really making a historical impression like their earlier work had. If things had been different, Morse and Airey would have been there too- it doesn't strike me as a personal snub (and I'm not a fan of the 'Rock Hall generally, believe me!).

Given Blackmore's 'return to rock', this feels like it will be a massive missed opportunity.

It seems like they ought to have some kind of rule(s) about how the induction performances should work, but I know it's not very feasible.

Remember that Jethro Tull or IA DVD that has footage of a reunion of everyone who'd played with Tull (still alive) in some random looking bar? It was very interesting, but also like a highschool reunion - some people seemed comfortable, some seemed unsure what to do with themselves, some seemed a bit ignored, as they all just milled around aimlessly.

Maybe the bands shouldn't even be present, and they should just play some of the best recorded music by them. It's the trying to turn the whole thing into a show that causes the problems.

I don't remember, if R&RHoF ever banned the founder members. When they banned Bob Welch, for Fleetwood Mac induction, it was a scandalous affair, but anyway, Bob Welch wasn't a founder member.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Is there anyone on earth who thinks of Deep Purple without Ritchie Blackmore (or Jon Lord, for that matter)?
    Hell, I didn't think they were Deep Purple after Evans left. But, then again, I'm old.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

The ideal Deep Purple for me is the Mark II line-up without question. But we can't have that anymore.

The biggest shock would be if Rod Evans turns up. He vanished after the 'fake Deep Purple' debacle.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Maybe the bands shouldn't even be present, and they should just play some of the best recorded music by them. It's the trying to turn the whole thing into a show that causes the problems.
    It's bad enough that the HOF committee can't get inductions right. The last thing I want them to decide is which music is the best from each band. Those assholes would surely ignore the first three albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    The biggest shock would be if Rod Evans turns up. He vanished after the 'fake Deep Purple' debacle.
    Or Nicky Simper, for that matter. I always preferred his melodic bass playing to Glover's.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

No problem at all here with them going on without Blackmore. The issue though, is their most recognized work took place with Blackmore in the band. He certainly deserves credit for making them famous.

The Hall is a joke. The present incarnation of DP is excellent. Blackmore is an ass. All the members, past and present should be inducted to the Hall of Shame.
    All that really matters in the end is the music.

EVERYone who was ever in DP should get an award. If they want to show up, that's fine. But don't have the band play. Have some unknown band play, some band who might be a future winner.

They way they do it now it just pits people against one another. If you were a part in the band at some point, if you were a member for a while, you get a trophy. Send Blackmore his trophy if he doesn't want to attend.

Feck it. I don't really care. I don't watch the damn things anyhoo. I loved DP with Blackmore, I love 'em with Morse. As long as Paicey's there, I'm there.

^agreed

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I don't remember, if R&RHoF ever banned the founder members. When they banned Bob Welch, for Fleetwood Mac induction, it was a scandalous affair, but anyway, Bob Welch wasn't a founder member.
    That was a bummer. One of my fav albums all time is Mystery To Me which coincidentally is produced by Martin Birch whom engineered some of our fav DP records! Seriously, if it wasn't for Bob then today most folks would be asking "Fleetwood Huh?" Even the FM members have been quoted mentioning this. Welch played such an important role in carrying the band forward, similar to 90125 lineup of Yes, that it is criminal to exclude him or any other member that contributed to the existence of the band. Even the guy that sang and played harmonica on Penguin (whose name escapes me at the moment) should be celebrated even though he was not a good fit for the band. It's just the right thing to do, no? Besides, isn't that more interesting? Would it not inspire people to dig deeper into the backstory along with the back catalog, etc. Bah. Who gives a bag about the RRHOF anyway? Silly.
    "Why is it when these great Prog guys get together, they always want to make a Journey album?"
    - fiberman, 7/5/2015

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    ^agreed

That was a bummer. One of my fav albums all time is Mystery To Me which coincidentally is produced by Martin Birch whom engineered some of our fav DP records! Seriously, if it wasn't for Bob then today most folks would be asking "Fleetwood Huh?" Even the FM members have been quoted mentioning this. Welch played such an important role in carrying the band forward, similar to 90125 lineup of Yes, that it is criminal to exclude him or any other member that contributed to the existence of the band. Even the guy that sang and played harmonica on Penguin (whose name escapes me at the moment) should be celebrated even though he was not a good fit for the band. It's just the right thing to do, no? Besides, isn't that more interesting? Would it not inspire people to dig deeper into the backstory along with the back catalog, etc. Bah. Who gives a bag about the RRHOF anyway? Silly.
    Yes, Timmy, I fully agree with your thoughts! Something is definitely wrong about that institution. Btw, Gillan dismissed about HoF, a month ago...

Look, what they in HoF are doing ..from Mark I, .Evans inducted, Simper not... how that can be? http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ction-ceremony

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    ^agreed

The singer/harmonica player on Penguin was Dave Walker, who was the long-time singer for Savoy Brown and was also briefly a member of Black Sabbath when Ozzy quit for a few months in 1977.

The omission of Bob Welch from the FM induction was borderline criminal. His situation compares a little with Nick Simper or Tommy Bolin in DP, whom I believe should have been inducted.

Morse and Airey are a different story. They're not quite like the current 'stand-in' members of a lot of classic rock acts, in that both have been in Purple for a long time (especially Morse) and have made multiple well-regarded recordings with the band. However, it's also clear that they're not part of the classic era of the band.

My understanding is that Gillan was originally not going to be attending or performing in any capacity due to the Morse/Airey 'snub', and this arrangement with the current band being the exclusive performers was the only way the Hall could get any kind of performance. It's not about feuds with Blackmore/Coverdale/Hughes, but more of a protest by Gillan. I do understand his position. He does not see Purple as an oldies act, but as a continuing creative entity. Thus, for him the current band is just as important as Mk II.

It reminds me a bit of what happened with Heart a couple years ago. It took major negotiations to get the Wilson sisters just to agree to have the classic lineup guys onstage for a couple songs, while the current Heart stand-in guys performed during the entire set.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    Look, what they in HoF are doing ..from Mark I, .Evans inducted, Simper not... how that can be? http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...ction-ceremony

I would guess that the current owner of the Deep Purple trademark (Ian Paice) has selected who is/was Deep Purple and who were simply temporary employees or of no consequence.

In any case, this a list of everyone who has been (as of 21-Feb-2016) a Deep Purple member:

1. David Coverdale
    2. Don Airey
    3. Glenn Hughes
    4. Ian Gillan
    5. Ian Paice
    6. Joe Lynn Turner
    7. Joe Satriani
    8. Jon Lord
    9. Nick Simper
    10. Ritchie Blackmore
    11. Rod Evans
    12. Roger Glover
    13. Steve Morse
    14. Tommy Bolin

^Laid out like that, it's not that many people for 40-odd years. But the problems begin when deciding whether certain people merit inclusion because they were only on one album, such as Tommy Bolin and Joe Lynn Turner. Yet Come Taste The Band has perhaps more interest than the three they've done with Don Airey. I can understand why they left it to Marks 1-3!

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^Laid out like that, it's not that many people for 40-odd years.

Really not that many, especially when compared to what's happened in 13 years less time with the ongoing joke known as Asia.

1. Al Pitrelli
    2. Alan Darby
    3. Aziz Ibrahim
    4. Bob Richards
    5. Carl Palmer
    6. Chris Slade
    7. Elliott Randall
    8. Geoff Downes
    9. Greg Lake
    10. Guthrie Govan
    11. Holger Larisch
    12. Ian Crichton