Thread: AAJ Review: Enrico Rava, Rava on the Dance Floor

AAJ Review: Enrico Rava, Rava on the Dance Floor

My review of Enrico Rava's Rava on the Dance Floor, today at All About Jazz.

The opening sentences of the review say it all:

Italian trumpeter Enrico Rava doing a tribute to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson? Italian trumpeter Enrico Rava doing a tribute to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson, on ECM?
    Turns out that, shortly after the King of Pop's death, Rava - who'd not previously paid attention - found his wife watching a live performance on DVD and was smitten. Rava on the Dance Floor is the result; a large ensemble recording that pays tribute with a certain degree of reverence, but healthy doses of irreverence, too, taking Jackson's music places the deceased King of Pop could never have imagined...and is a record that, once again, demonstrates ECM's ability to surprise by doing the unexpected and releasing a record that many would think, at least on paper, to be unsuitable. In reality, however, it fits perfectly and is another indicator of the label's breadth, depth and never-ending search for good music, wherever it's to be found and regardless of the context/premise.

Review here.

Gee, this is challenging my smug sense of myself as open-eared! New York Days is one of the very best jazz albums I've come across in the last few years and any Rava album gets a pretty much free ride to Casa del Oreb

but

when I first read about this I hated the idea.

Then I tried out this on Youtube.

Sold.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Glad to hear it, Oreb. But when you're talking Rava, you know it's going to be something without compromise, no matter what the context. Glad you were open-minded enough to check it out. It's a great record.