Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Floyd's Animals

It wasn't my immediate favorite, but over time it grew to be the PF album I enjoy most. The atmosphere is incredibly dark and claustrophobic (at least as far as PF records go), and has a really visceral quality that engages me. And while it wasn't exactly a full band effort to the same degree as prior albums, it still has the feel of the band working together, moreso than what followed after.

I have to say, seeing Waters do 'Dogs' in '99 probably helped elevate the album to my own #1 spot. Even without Gilmour, it was a superb rendition that really gave me pause and convinced me to go back and give Animals another go.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    2nd Greatest Record Ever, PERIOD!!!!!!
    Makes my top 5
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I'm with Nog. It is my favourite PF recording because it is dark, cynical, and bitter....which for some reason interests me. My only complaint is I feel like it is missing another song. Other than that, find it brilliant.
    Pretty much my view too. My favorite PF as well.

Probably the one Floyd album I never get tired of. It fits into the classic period of prog-Floyd, but is not as easily accessible as the others.

It is one of those album you really need to kick back and absorb. It's not something you can buy tomorrow, give it a spin on your way to work, and wonder what the big deal is.

I've only heard three PF albums (not counting the stray songs, here and there from other albums), and they're the only ones I own. I've never been a big fan but those three albums are good, and worth owning (imo). If I'm gonna rank 'em the list will look like this:

Wish You Were Here
    Animals
    Dark Side

I think Animals is a damn, fine album, btw.

My favorite PF, the one I come back to consistently because it never sounds dated to me. Bought it when it came out, and missed - by parental edict - seeing the Soldier Field stop on the In The Flesh tour (I had just been there to see ELP with the full orchestra, and two trips within a month was a step over the line for them). Somewhere in a box in my house is a notebook containing my stream-of-consciousness writings while listening to Animals on headphones in a fairly seriously chemically-altered state. Not sure if I ever want to find that notebook...

Agree with the observations already put forth, and would add that, while I can listen to parts or individual tracks from any other PF album, Animals is almost always consumed whole.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

By the way, when ever I see comments posted like ....."Ah Pink Floyd aren't really prog" I can't help thinking, "so you haven't heard Animals or WYWH?" PF are not prog. Laughable.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    By the way, when ever I see comments posted like ....."Ah Pink Floyd aren't really prog" I can't help thinking, "so you haven't heard Animals or WYWH?" PF are not prog. Laughable.
    Word.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Great album. My favorite Floyd record.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    At least it isn't played to dead on radio.
    One reason I only one on version of DSOTM (LP) which I bought in the 90's

Quote Originally Posted by Happytheman
    Dogs and Sheep had been in the set list for a few years at this point with Gilmour wanting both of those songs included with WYWH songs
    I find this more a matter of economy, since these songs have such a different feel than what is on WYWH. Even the versions played on the previous tours, have a different feel.

BTW: Second favorite after WYWH, but what a great ablum!

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Why is Pink Floyd's Animals so popular? I Don't Get It!
    Sure it's got some good music on it,but I've never been that thrilled!
    More interesting,and greater listening are Meddle,DSOTM, Atom Heart Mother and WYWH!
    Four Floyd albums that hit the mark, whilst Animals just doesn't have that punch imho!
    Does anyone else agree or am i in the minority?
    I agree 100% with you.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    Word.
    Music.

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Why is Pink Floyd's Animals so popular? I Don't Get It!
    Sure it's got some good music on it,but I've never been that thrilled!
    More interesting,and greater listening are Meddle,DSOTM, Atom Heart Mother and WYWH!
    Four Floyd albums that hit the mark, whilst Animals just doesn't have that punch imho!
    Does anyone else agree or am i in the minority?
    I agree actually. I would place it just behind those you mentioned at number five. However, I might move it up to four or three only because DSOTM is just so overplayed and to some degree the same with WYWH. Still, I think Animals is a bit over-rated. I like "Dogs"(especially the spacey middle section)but the rest of the album I find good but nothing really spectacular. AHM is probably their most under rated album(imo). I actually like their very first, PATGOD, a lot too.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Why is In-And-Out Burger so popular? I Don't Get It!
    I've never heard of In-And-Out Burger.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I agree 100% with you.
    After sixty-two posts somebody who agrees with me!!!
    There's obviously a lot of high praise for Animals,which is fine.
    Good to see the band are appreciated so much too!
    Such a pity Gilmour and Waters can't bury there differences and do some gigs together.But I don't think that will happen! Quite sad really!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    I'm with Nog. It is my favourite PF recording because it is dark, cynical, and bitter....which for some reason interests me. My only complaint is I feel like it is missing another song. Other than that, find it brilliant.
    If I was interviewing Roger Waters, I'd love to ask him "Which of your albums, solo or with Floyd, do you consider your most bitter?"

For the record, Animals is one of my favorites too. Since Floyd is perhaps my favorite band, I have a very hard time ranking their albums, and usually don't want to (especially when some of them are so different). I usually rank WYWH as #1, but Animals has an immediacy and directness that's hard to ignore. IMO the opening post is pretty off-base, but fair enough to ask of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Right on time...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I've been to In-N-Out Fur Burger. Good stuff.

[After sixty-two posts somebody who agrees with me!!!]

Hey, I agreed with you too and I posted before he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    [After sixty-two posts somebody who agrees with me!!!]

Hey, I agreed with you too and I posted before he did.
    A Thousand Apologies!

"Why is Pink Floyd's Animals so popular? I Don't Get It!"

Because it is unlike what is before or after it. It's a dark album with long, ambitious tunes smack in the middle of their biggest decade of commercial success. It was an unexpected left turn.

Refreshing because radio didn't kill us with repetition because the tunes are too long too.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Too bad. It has quite the long-standing reputation in California.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    The climax and closing riff of the album that immediately follows "You better stay home, do as you're told... get out of the road if you wanna grow old..." is just orgasmic.
    Back in college when I was first discovering Floyd albums, I listened to Animals for like the second or third time with the guy who had introduced me to the band. When the part you describe came on, I said "This is my favorite part of the album".

My friend just stared at me for a bit like I was slightly dim, and then said "That's EVERYBODY'S favorite part of the album!"
    --
    The internet was better before Berners-Lee let the riff-raff in.

I think it's akin to a "Chicago Sunroof".
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I think it's akin to a "Chicago Sunroof".
    Damn your Jimmy McGill reference. Looks like I'll have to stick with Jack-in-the-Box from this point forward.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-