Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Floyd's Animals

Quote Originally Posted by KELLY WELSH View Post
    Why is Pink Floyd's Animals so popular? I Don't Get It!
    Sure it's got some good music on it,but I've never been that thrilled!
    More interesting,and greater listening are Meddle,DSOTM, Atom Heart Mother and WYWH!
    Four Floyd albums that hit the mark, whilst Animals just doesn't have that punch imho!
    Does anyone else agree or am i in the minority?
    Gotta agree with most of the others here as I think “Animals” is an incredible album. Of the others you mention I also love “WYWH” and “Meddle”. “Atom Heart Mother” not so much, in fact I just pulled it out for a listen the other day and I would still rank it near the bottom of the Floyd catalogue.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    “Atom Heart Mother” not so much, in fact I just pulled it out for a listen the other day and I would still rank it near the bottom of the Floyd catalogue.
    I love it, though almost entirely for the side one suite.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

More interesting,and greater listening are Meddle,DSOTM, Atom Heart Mother and WYWH!
    Four Floyd albums that hit the mark, whilst Animals just doesn't have that punch imho!
    I disagree, but you are certainly entitled to your opinion. It's all a matter of taste. I also like the dark cynicism of it, even if Waters completely misunderstood Orwell's thesis...

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    I love Animals too! Saw them on this US Tour, with the exploding pig...
    We drove from Detroit to Cleveland to watch them. The In The Flesh tour was unbelievable. They played all of Animals and all of Wish You Were Here if I remember correctly. And no, I can't recall correctly because I was a bit messed up that night. I do remember a bunch of huge umbrellas on the stage for some reason.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

am i in the minority?
    Probably. I finally got around to picking it up some months ago and find it--unsurprisingly--deadly dull.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I would also describe it as "muscular". Nothing like it.
    Good call, I agree! Probably why I like it so much.

Bill

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    “Atom Heart Mother” not so much, in fact I just pulled it out for a listen the other day and I would still rank it near the bottom of the Floyd catalogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I like the whole thing, it's got a naive experimental nature with a thrown together feel. Works for me.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Well, Animals is albumcraft at its finest. It's not the only example. There are plenty of other albums that hit the gold standard, but Animals is right up there with them.

My favorite Floyd is Meddle, which is tremendous, but even then, it isn't as tightly crafted as Animals, it doesn't pivot around a central concept, nor is all the songwriting as consistently masterful. Animals shares these strengths with Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. IMO, they are the three greatest strides of the band, I just happen to prefer "Echoes" to just about everything else they did.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

There are parts of the suite that I think work pretty well, but other parts not so much. The side 2 stuff I just fine really bland.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Animals is MY favourite too - followed by Meddle.
    Bang on...except they occasionally trade places,depending on where my head is at

The climax and closing riff of the album that immediately follows "You better stay home, do as you're told... get out of the road if you wanna grow old..." is just orgasmic.
    Yes, absolutely. I still remember vividly the first time I ever heard this. I was 18 years old (late to the game, admittedly), riding in the passenger seat as my dad had it playing in the car and we were driving through traffic on a gray rainy day.

Never heard anything like it before, and it made a huge impression. Animals is still my favorite Pink Floyd album.

Animals is not my favorite, that would be either DSOTM or WYWH, but when the mood strikes Waters' bile combined with Gilmour's snarling guitars and Wright's keys really hits the spot. It has aged well for me. I like it more now then when it was first released. A definite go to album when I want to listen to something with some attitude.

I agree with you.
    I like Animals, heard it many times, but it's not my favorite Pink Floyd album.

I'm with Tangram on this one; didn't like it that much when it came out, and have to be in the mood for it. Unlike most of their albums that came before, there's nothing remotely dreamy or relaxing on this album, and I think many fans are put off by that... All the tracks are great, and it's nice that Classic Rock radio hasn't ruined ANY of them, unlike the oversaturation of tracks from DSOTM, WYWH, and The Wall. I won't say Animals is my favorite PF album, just like a father of eight kids has no "favorite" child...

Animals has always been my favorite, followed by Wish You Here. Waters best lyrics and some of my favorite Gilmour solos. I always loved that it didn't get much play on FM radio. I never get sick of hearing it and i will never forget hearing Waters play it on the In The Flesh tour. It has been in my top 3 albums for the past 25 years.

Suspended
    I'd say it all depends on what kind of Pink Floyd fan you are. I have observed that there are at least three kinds of fan: those who prefer the Barrett-era psychedelic side, those who like the very melodic ambient side, and those who like the more "muscular" Floyd, including the blues-tinged tracks like Have a Cigar. Of course these fan groups overlap to some extent, and so do the albums.

It surprises me very little that someone whose favourite PF album is Animals would have Meddle as their second favourite, because to me there is a lot of the similar sound on both. When Animals was released, I had the impression that the band had decided to "do one for the fans", in response to long-time supporters who might have got pissed off with the more ambient direction of DSOTM and WYWH.

'Wordy' as it is, it's hard to believe that Waters' songs originally had twice as much lyrics, as Gilmour once mentioned in an interview/article.

I'd always dismissed it as rather dull, and didn't listen to it for ages. I then bought the remaster a couple of years ago and completely revised my opinion. But it is a shame that Wright was in decline - imagine if he'd been on the same form as he was on WYWH.

Over time I have come to appreciate this as every bit as much a masterwork as the more celebrated albums which preceded it (DSOTM, WYWH) and succeeded it (The Wall). It's a hard, brutal album, but not without hope- see the end of 'Sheep' (and the 'Pigs On The Wing' extracts of course).

Maybe I'm a fanboy, I don't know, but there's not one Pink Floyd album I can dismiss. I would certainly cite A Momentary Lapse... as the weakest, but it still has a lot of great songs- it's the none-more-80s sound which grates on me.

https://soundcloud.com/daddydoo/dogs
    Dogs is my favorite song on the album so I did my own version of it

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post

For me, it's a toss up between Animals and WYWH as my personal favorite. Animals does have a somewhat different vibe from the other Floyd albums. Ultimately just a matter of personal taste.

I do agree with Gryphs that Animals could perhaps have used one more track. That would be the only fault I'd find with it, it really gives me goosebumps every time I play it.

Bill
    WYWH for me.. Last real "group" effort when the 4 of them were together..
    Animals does have a different vibe for sure.. Some of Gilmours guitar work stands out for sure.. tend to think he carried a bit of that over to his first solo release..
    Given the limitations of vinyl.. not sure where they would have fit an additional song on this release.. nor do I know what they would have had left over from those sessions to add to the mix. As I understand the timeline.. Dogs and Sheep had been in the set list for a few years at this point with Gilmour wanting both of those songs included with WYWH songs. Pigs was written in order to flesh out the Animals album. I certainly suited the times for sure.. It gets regular rotation with me for sure..

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    (...)

It surprises me very little that someone whose favourite PF album is Animals would have Meddle as their second favourite, because to me there is a lot of the similar sound on both. When Animals was released, I had the impression that the band had decided to "do one for the fans", in response to long-time supporters who might have got pissed off with the more ambient direction of DSOTM and WYWH.
    +1

It's my favorite, but I only have 3 Floyd albums. At least it isn't played to dead on radio.

2nd Greatest Record Ever, PERIOD!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I'd say it all depends on what kind of Pink Floyd fan you are. I have observed that there are at least three kinds of fan: those who prefer the Barrett-era psychedelic side, those who like the very melodic ambient side, and those who like the more "muscular" Floyd, including the blues-tinged tracks like Have a Cigar. Of course these fan groups overlap to some extent, and so do the albums.

I may have to revisit Meddle, I love Animals but don't recall much on Meddle that got me excited except the opening of One of These Days. Otherwise I think you're onto something with the fans of different period PF.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I may have to revisit Meddle, I love Animals but don't recall much on Meddle that got me excited except the opening of One of These Days. Otherwise I think you're onto something with the fans of different period PF.

Bill
    Grab a sixer of your fav craft beer and play Echoes!!!!