Thread: FEATURED CD - On The Virg : Serious Young Insects

FEATURED CD - On The Virg : Serious Young Insects

Per ProgArchives:
    On the Virg is another progressive metal/jazz fusion band with quite complicated arrangements. They release so far a single album in 1999 named Serious young insects. Virgil Donaty the famous drumer is on the helm here, helped by other skillfull musicians Simon Hosford on guitar, Phil Turcio on keyboards, Evripides Evripidou on bass = the result is awesome instrumental album. The music as I said is quite complicated of course, going from prog metal chops to a more jazz fusion sophistication and complex arrangements with a good doze of harmonic parts where the guitar and keybords make the main role. The album is pretty solid, not a single piece is boring, the pieces flows from one to another pretty well, the listner remaing pleasent surprised in the end, like I was for sure. Similar with for ex Planet X, Derek Sherinian solo albums, LTE canadians Grey Matter, Cosmics etc. and with bands that incorporated besides prog metal jazz fusion elements giving a truly solid and well played prog metal fuzion. The musicianship as expected is top notch, Donati is a well known and respected musician (drumer) in this field , here is no less a brillienat performer. So, I will give 3.5 stars, great album, I realy liked what I've heared. Recommended to those who enjoy prog metal and aswell jazz fusion in same time.
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=45173

Regards,

Duncan

Suspended
    Not to be confused with Fine Young Cannibals.

thet PA reveiwer is somwhat spleing chalenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Good God, I can't even read that.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Regards,

Duncan

awesome album! Still sounding fresh after all those years. Glad they did reprint of CD, as it was out of stock for a while. And its live interpretation is superb as well. With Doug Shrieve... Looking at Simon Hosford it is hard to believe that he also played in Men At Work ... who-can-it-be-now stuff... And of course, Donati is a drummer beyond real.

Banned
    (...) I will give 3.5 stars, great album (...)
    This is a five-stars great album.

Quote Originally Posted by Svetonio View Post
    This is a five-stars great album.
    That's why you don't go to a prog site for a fusion review.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's why you don't go to a prog site for a fusion review.
    Actually, at progarchives, that is "politically incorrect" to give five stars to something if it's not one of the most famous albums in the history of progressive music in general.

Perhaps more significant - Gnosis gives it an impressive average score of 11.

Only one rater gave it a 9.
    Regards,

Duncan

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

... and who are Gnosis?

I mean, I know what Gnosis is now, having had it explained to me some time ago on PE, but I mean who are these people, these cognoscenti, whose ratings of albums are more significant than the rating you or I might choose to give them?

Killer album!

Virgil is a monster on this (when is he not?), and the other players are no slouches either.

Proved the Virgil can write some great music, in addition to playing the hell out of it.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

I like this album. I got is shortly after it came out but it's not exactly Fusion, nor is it exactly instrumental Symph... it's just a real good Prog album with Metal moments
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

He's from Bulgaria, he's got quite the collection of music.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

This album was a godsend after first hearing it, it was like someone finally made a fusion recording that had the progressive impact that the RTF - Romantic Warrior lp had on me all those years ago. Great recording start to finish.

Love this album for its dynamic composition!

This does sound awesome- any ideas where to get a copy or at least a download? Only place I could find it was iTunes Australia which would not work, but would much rather a physical copy. Big Donati fan and this one got right by me. great stuff, thanks for the post!

Still need to pick this one up on CD.