Thread: AAJ Review: Jack DeJohnette, Special Edition Box

AAJ Review: Jack DeJohnette, Special Edition Box

My review of Jack DeJohnette's Special Edition box set, today at All About Jazz.

The veteran drummer's longest-lasting group, though not without significant personnel shifts over the years, this ECM box collects the first four albums that started it all - two out of print and one, 1983's Inflation Blues, appearing on CD for the first - in newly remastered form, as part of its Old & New Masters Series, including previously unreleased photos and new liner notes.

The first record, 1980's Special Edition, was an instant masterpiece, but each successive record had its own charms, its own things to recommend, and with Special Edition, the box set, they're all back in print in a budget-priced collection.

Review here.

I have this on order...I only own the first one at this point.
    kind of a no-brainer

I should get this...I have the first on CD, and Album Album on vinyl. They should do the same thing with the later New Directions bands.....!!

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    I should get this...I have the first on CD, and Album Album on vinyl. They should do the same thing with the later New Directions bands.....!!
    Actually New Direction was before or around same time, and Directions (UNtitled and New Rags) came even earlier

Pretty much all the 7 or so records w/ Dejohnette as "leader" that had Abercrombie on em' between 74' and 80' made a great misspent youth soundtrack. Really would like to score New Rags and Cosmic Chicken.

Hoping Untitled and New Rags will come out in a box; Cosmic Chicken (which ain't ECM) is available, at least, for download at iTunes.