Page 9 of 72 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131959 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Calabasas_Trafalgar View Post
    I think I know who you mean. First name was Gil, that's all I recall. He was offering a mix CD or rare Israeli groups. I still have mine.
    THAT'S HIM! Gil! I knew it was an odd-ish name with 3 letters.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Deb Sears is progluvr
    I take it there was a second Deb, then

I thought I was speaking of Debi and Elaine (of ProgFest or RosFest) - their last names escapes me
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I take it there was a second Deb, then

I thought I was speaking of Debi and Elaine (of ProgFest or RosFest) - their last names escapes me
    That's Debi Byrd & Helaine Burch
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Byrd, Sears... whatever

you can never one Deb from another (actually I suspect this is totally wrong)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

It wasn't until my fifth year of being on PE that I was presented with the Z-bop decoder ring. Then he made sense. I understand there was also a Jegheist decoder ring but it was thrown into the fires of Mount Doom and we're all better off for that.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Anyone remember Kenny Soloman? I forget what his handle was but I've hung out with him. Haven't seen him in 3-4 years. He lives in Broward County so I don't get up that way since I stopped working in Fart Lauderdale.
    Kenny was a good friend at one time. We became friends back when he was one of the key people at Delicious Agony. It was at his insistence that we started sending our albums to that station. He championed our music quite aggressively, bless his heart. Later he moved over to Progressive Soundscapes and we stayed good friends. He introduced me to Hamster Theatre and Dave Willey - with whom i became very close, of course - and Mike Keneally, who is also a friend. This was back in the late 90s/early aughts. When that fine station closed down, he moved to Cygnus Radio and we lost touch. He was becoming very disgruntled by that time, however, and i think has become a sort of poilitical blogger with some intense views. He used to post on music forums as Walt Nekroid, IIRC. I'm not sure what his story is now. He was a very important person in our lives though and i wish him all the best.

K
    Last edited by Polypet; 02-23-2016 at 12:02 PM.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Gregg Kovach. Don't remember his handle, and he wasn't a prolific poster, but he was a knowledgeable guy.
    Do you mean John (Kovach)? The music professor? He wrote a book about progressive rock, i think. We've stayed in touch with him via FB although haven't heard from him for awhile. I think there's also a musician named Greg Kovach, though. Perhaps he was here. I know for a fact John was as it's where we first met.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    That would be Deb Sears. She is still active here although I don’t remember off the top of my head what handle she goes by.
    Deb is ProgLuvr here, i believe. She doesn't post much here anymore but she and Paul are still quite actively on FB.

Debi is pook73 or something like that. We know her as Pooky. A very dedicated music fan and good friends with many in our circle, including the aforementioned Ms. Sears.

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    I also miss a few knowledgeable Gnosis guys such as Mike (sigil23), David (dt) and a few others.
    Lev, you might already know, but Mike is on FB. I've reconnected with him recently. David I've lost track of, unfortunately. I used to talk to these guys all the time back in the day. I also know Tom (Ashratom) is on a hiatus of sorts.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Gregg Kovach. Don't remember his handle, and he wasn't a prolific poster, but he was a knowledgeable guy.
    Gregg is another one I'm in touch with on FB. He comments on a good deal of posts.

This was an interesting trip down memory lane; I've never been a prolific poster, but I was most active back around 2002-05. Even though I had my hands in a lot of things (ProgDay, Giant Progweed site, etc.) I was also in college and had plenty of free time. Over the years that has decreased dramatically, and my interest in certain things has waxed and waned. I came back to PE when FarFest was announced. I only have time to sporadically keep up with select threads these days.

Polypet, Walt Nektroid or Kektaroid. That was Kenny. He was a big Nektar fan. I regularly saw him at a pub in Ft. Lauderdale for a few years. Since I don't hang out at that pub anymore I've lost touch. Yeah was disgruntled about a few things but he's always been cool with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Do you mean John (Kovach)? The music professor?
    No, different guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Yes... We've lost a few ladies along the way...
    There was a girl who was a huge Landberk fan - can't remember the name she used. We exchanges some PMs about Landberk.

Luis occasionally pops up spitting bile & Rich Poston posts now and then
    Mark Pieper shows up occasionally. Whenever I try to nudge him into a Big Picture reunion.

I remember a member who hated his member... IIRC he went by The Enid. He once stated that he hated his penis. Used to post about how he was abducted by a Satanic cult as child or something to that effect?
    Yeah, it was easy to set that person off.

RE: Facebook, I use it some, but I think of it more line an address book than any kind of place for conversation. I find it pretty irritating overall. It bugs me that using Facebook and Twitter are more and more becoming expected, like if you don't use them it's similar to refusing to use the telephone or something. I to prefer the "top down" quality of a forum like PE. I also hate the way sites like Reddit have posts rise to the top or drop down based on how many upvotes or down votes they get. That basically makes it impossible to keep up with most threads the way you can on PE. I don't give a f*ck how many people like to don't like a post!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There was a girl who was a huge Landberk fan - can't remember the name she used. We exchanges some PMs about Landberk.
    Alysoun... She was a personal friend who seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Alysoun... She was a personal friend who seems to have fallen off the face of the Earth.
    That's right. Alison Rich. Haven't seen her online anywhere. She ran an IQ ROIO trading group, but I haven't checked in there in years, so I don't know if she's still doing it.

Alysoun is still a librarian at Brown University IIRC - - - not sure though. She was involved with the first FMPM's too (in some capacity) - - -

Mark Pieper shows up occasionally. Whenever I try to nudge him into a Big Picture reunion.
    I spoke with him on the phone last night. He's got an upcoming gig in a Porcupine Tree tribute band called Cloud Zero.

RE: Facebook, I use it some, but I think of it more line an address book than any kind of place for conversation. I find it pretty irritating overall. It bugs me that using Facebook and Twitter are more and more becoming expected, like if you don't use them it's similar to refusing to use the telephone or something. I to prefer the "top down" quality of a forum like PE. I also hate the way sites like Reddit have posts rise to the top or drop down based on how many upvotes or down votes they get. That basically makes it impossible to keep up with most threads the way you can on PE. I don't give a f*ck how many people like to don't like a post!!
    Some find excuses by saying this has become unavoidable to keep in touch with friends, but what's wrong with e-mails? (have they suddenly gone stale??)

OK, as my brother says, he's been able to reconnect with some of his high-school friends via fb (which kind of positive) but once he met them in real life again, he realized why he'd lost contact with them>> it was probably that there was a reason and meant to be that way

using Facebook and Twitter are more and more becoming expected, like if you don't use them it's similar to refusing to use the telephone or something.
    Twitter usefulness is still a mystery to me. Worse of a time-suck than FB. And nothing of any substance to gain. It's practically impossible to sustain any decent argument within the brevity of 140 characters. It induces normally articulate individuals to pre-Neanderthal conversational status. I get the feeling that it seems like the biggest manifestation of massive human idiocy. Not participating doesn't hurt you.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Twitter usefulness is still a mystery to me. Worse of a time-suck than FB. And nothing of any substance to gain. It's practically impossible to sustain any decent argument within the brevity of 140 characters. It induces normally articulate individuals to pre-Neanderthal conversational status. I get the feeling that it seems like the biggest manifestation of massive human idiocy. Not participating doesn't hurt you.

That's why it's used by twits (and by twats)

They like to organize your news feed so that you see "most active" posts at the top, but just like PE, there is a "new posts" if you go to your settings and click on "most recent", it will organize your feed newest post at the top.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I hear ya, Spacey. It's just a waste of time and energy, and is best left to idiot nobodies and well-known idiots, who want to tell you their "words of wisdom" every half hour.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

That's why it's used by twits (and by twats)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I hear ya, Spacey. It's just a waste of time and energy, and is best left to idiot nobodies and well-known idiots, who want to tell you their "words of wisdom" every half hour.
    Spoken as if the three of you have never used or seen Twitter once in their lives.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally