Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 91516171819202122232969 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Just out of curiosity, did you find that this overposting is a problem on PE 3.0?? Is anybody abusing??
    I'd have to say yes, from a small handful of people anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    If posting limits are not appropriate what about thread starting limits? Sometimes the board is spammed up with noise and nonsense, and I personally think it stifles others from starting interesting progressive music related conversation.
    ...and this would be a possible solution to the problem IMO. Often it is not so much how many posts someone is making, but the threads themselves. There's one obvious example here who posts dozens of new threads per week, often with idiotic 'click-bait' titles, about any little subject that crosses his mind. Yes, I can simply scroll past what doesn't interest me, but there's a point when it becomes a chore to have to sift through so much junk to get to something interesting.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'd have to say yes, from a small handful of people anyway.

...and this would be a possible solution to the problem IMO. Often it is not so much how many posts someone is making, but the threads themselves. There's one obvious example here who posts dozens of new threads per week, often with idiotic 'click-bait' titles, about any little subject that crosses his mind. Yes, I can simply scroll past what doesn't interest me, but there's a point when it becomes a chore to have to sift through so much junk to get to something interesting.
    He's not the only one, though.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    He's not the only one, though.
    No, just the obvious example. So obvious in fact that we don't need to name him.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Haven't heard from ViolinCyndee in a very long time. She is missed. I know she lost her husband, which must have been brutal. Hopefully, she has found some peace.
    Cyndee's one of the few PE people I engage with a lot on Facebook. She seems to be doing well. She's become a postal worker, which is keeping her busy. I like to see photos of the vegan food she makes, and she just posts a lot of funny stuff too.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I remember that guy. I used to go to the Bop Stop when I lived near Kalamazoo. We had a long discussion about Yes once. Somehow he had never heard Drama, so I made him a recording of it -- this was early to mid-'90s. The one thing I remember most about him was that he was loud, abrasive, and extremely sarcastic. Always thought it was an odd temperament for a guy running a public-facing business, but I guess he made it work.
    John was big into Yes, but at the same time was unaware of albums like “Drama” which I always found odd. He really was not into a lot of other prog stuff, but had a vast knowledge of music in general. I knew him pretty well. Regarding his personality, to be honest he had an alcohol problem. Many times that big gulp cup that he was sipping on behind the counter had more than just coke in it. When he was drinking it would have an impact on his personality that was not always pleasant. I knew several people who got into it with him and would never go back into his store again. He ended up being the last of the independent music stores in the area, but was eventually squeezed out of business. He went to AA, lost a bunch of weight and I think got his drinking under control. I still run into him occasionally and am friends with him on Facebook. He is a nice guy, but has a really off beat sense of humor and way of looking at life. Turns out John was not Z…bop though.

No, just the obvious example. So obvious in fact that we don't need to name him.
    There's another who seems to pop up in most threads, with posts along the lines of 'I've never heard this, but...'.

Glad to hear Cyndee is doing well, Jed.

I think the last post she made here may have been in the thread when Kay died. She saw the news on FB and knew I don't FB and was thoughtful enough to pop in to wish me well. Jeff was a frequent "let's go outside for a minute" companion of mine at festivals.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    There's another who seems to pop up in most threads, with posts along the lines of 'I've never heard this, but...'.
    Yep.

"My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    You yourself are fortunate to be posting here during a time where most of the flame wars and trolling posters have been dealt with or otherwise left, so it's pretty tame now compared to years past.

Mmmhhh!!!... Maybe a good point. For us Europeans (Sonia in Mozambique is on the Polish time zone), the reality of this site may be a bit different than for the North am time ferame... Just like Bob and the other Aussies must have yet another reality of PE

TBH, yes, PG does open a lot of threads, but most of them areOK, providing somekind of forum animation....

Some thread starters (like me) can't managed to open a thread that goes to page 2

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Cyndee's one of the few PE people I engage with a lot on Facebook. She seems to be doing well. She's become a postal worker, which is keeping her busy. I like to see photos of the vegan food she makes, and she just posts a lot of funny stuff too.
    Cyndee has joined a sect??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunnibee View Post
    FYI - Zbop is still alive and on Facebook. His posts there are the same language he used here. He does have medical issues but he's getting the help he needs now.
    I'd like to friend him (and you) - need names. PM me if appropriate.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Some thread starters (like me) can't managed to open a thread that goes to page 2
    Perhaps that's because our limited PE time is swallowed up with the click bait threads. This place has always been about music and fun, and there's room for OT list type threads, but in limited numbers and not swamping the board. I used to enjoy the old polls, gave us a reason to discuss different things, and they are akin to some of these other threads, all I'm saying is less frequency is more.

What happened to Silentman?

He was the Brit compliment to the rational progeezer.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    What happened to Silentman?

He was the Brit compliment to the rational progeezer.
    Silent Steve?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Mr Prog?

Anyone remember Joe Shingler a.k.a. Ghosts of Pompeii?

All of these MIA folks are not unlike people who have gone away permanently (i.e. died)- at least metaphorically.

I suppose the best thing to do is really appreciate those of us that continue to make PE a place worth visiting daily. Your dedication and belief in what we do- even now- are to be applauded!

-S

Silent Man Steve from the UK and I are friends, and have been since 2007. Kay & I visited Steve & his wife in England a few years ago and then they came over and visited us in Wisconsin. Steve & I also were roomies at Nearfest when he saved me from exsanguinating after a fall.. Some may remember the story I posted about them BOTH being hit by the same foul ball at the first MLB game they ever attended when they were here. With 30,000 plus people at Miller Park in Milw at the game in the stands, what are the odds?

They both emailed me when Kay passed, and at that time Janet (Mrs. Steve) was having some very serious health issues & the prognosis wasn't great. I haven't been in contact with them since, but I suspect he's damn busy. Does he post on FB regularly?

Yes, I hear from him quite a bit. He's not so "silent" there.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Silent Man Steve from the UK and I are friends, and have been since 2007. Kay & I visited Steve & his wife in England a few years ago and then they came over and visited us in Wisconsin. Steve & I also were roomies at Nearfest when he saved me from exsanguinating after a fall.. Some may remember the story I posted about them BOTH being hit by the same foul ball at the first MLB game they ever attended when they were here. With 30,000 plus people at Miller Park in Milw at the game in the stands, what are the odds?

They both emailed me when Kay passed, and at that time Janet (Mrs. Steve) was having some very serious health issues & the prognosis wasn't great. I haven't been in contact with them since, but I suspect he's damn busy. Does he post on FB regularly?
    Yes Steve the Elder, Steve the Silent does post frequently on Facebook. As does, Steve the Cuneiform and Steve the Swayne. :P
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    John was big into Yes, but at the same time was unaware of albums like “Drama” which I always found odd. He really was not into a lot of other prog stuff, but had a vast knowledge of music in general. I knew him pretty well. Regarding his personality, to be honest he had an alcohol problem. Many times that big gulp cup that he was sipping on behind the counter had more than just coke in it. When he was drinking it would have an impact on his personality that was not always pleasant. I knew several people who got into it with him and would never go back into his store again. He ended up being the last of the independent music stores in the area, but was eventually squeezed out of business. He went to AA, lost a bunch of weight and I think got his drinking under control. I still run into him occasionally and am friends with him on Facebook. He is a nice guy, but has a really off beat sense of humor and way of looking at life. Turns out John was not Z…bop though.
    Thanks for this. It explains a lot about him. I can still remember some of the funny, off-the-wall things he said to me in conversation, but there was also one time when he was extremely rude to me for no reason whatsoever. I'm glad to hear he's still kicking and hopefully doing better these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    FWIW, when I saw your post in this thread I thought "there's someone I haven't seen post in a while."
    Well, I happily stand corrected!

I think I started drifting out of here shortly after Squire's death. I read all the tributes, played my Yes collection to death, and then just needed to detach from it all for a while. Now I find myself coming back here because I need a break from the real world, especially all the political crap!

I hadn't been here since yesterday...but I'm back now...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was missing in inaction
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I hadn't been here since yesterday...but I'm back now...
    So soon?
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit