Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Selling Vinyl (about $600 in the last few months)
    Do you do that from your personal page or via a record collecting group? I have a shortage of Australian albums in my collection so let me know please

I check in with Facebook at least once a day. There's guys on FB that left PE (like Lino and Hugues) or ones that are more active on FB than on PE (Adewold, Kidrunningfox, Roddenberry). Our fearless leader Sean is quite active on there. And there's all the stuff my wife posts that she insists I see. That's when it becomes a time-suck.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I just have some trepidation about the "information economy," the exchange of value is not clear to me. In the regular economy a dollar is a dollar, I pretty much instantly know what I am exchanging for a good or service. With a website or an app, people say it is "free," which is to say it doesn't cost me any money. But I am engaging in trade nonetheless, and I don't understand the value of what I'm trading.

Facebook will monetize my participation and information somehow, but I don't know how, or at least I don't know the extent of it all. And while this may be explained to some extent by the terms of service, the terms of service generally state that they can change at any time. So that's like saying that the ongoing cost of my subscription can change, but it finding out what that cost is will be dependent on the goodwill of the people I'm paying.

I realize the Facebook and the like are powerful communication tools, I do know this: I would be providing the content that helps make their websites worth using. The only compensation I'm getting from that is whatever enjoyment I get out of posting and reading posts. I can't be sure that this is in anyway a fair exchange, because I don't know what kind of money they're making off of me.

Companies are used to exploiting our information like natural resource: paying some capital cost to mine it, then processing and monetizing it for a profit, but in no way remunerating or compensating the source from which it is gathered. I don't like that. I don't like the way it feels. I don't like it when banks and credit card companies sell my information, and I don't like when software companies do it either. Clearly my information has value, but the value of the trade isn't clear. So I keep away from these things.

What I really want is a clear information currency system, so I know exactly what I'm trading, and can determine for myself the value of it.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I just have some trepidation about the "information economy," the exchange of value is not clear to me. In the regular economy a dollar is a dollar, I pretty much instantly know what I am exchanging for a good or service. With a website or an app, people say it is "free," which is to say it doesn't cost me any money. But I am engaging in trade nonetheless, and I don't understand the value of what I'm trading.

Facebook will monetize my participation and information somehow, but I don't know how, or at least I don't know the extent of it all. And while this may be explained to some extent by the terms of service, the terms of service generally state that they can change at any time. So that's like saying that the ongoing cost of my subscription can change, but it finding out what that cost is will be dependent on the goodwill of the people I'm paying.

I realize the Facebook and the like are powerful communication tools, I do know this: I would be providing the content that helps make their websites worth using. The only compensation I'm getting from that is whatever enjoyment I get out of posting and reading posts. I can't be sure that this is in anyway a fair exchange, because I don't know what kind of money they're making off of me.

Companies are used to exploiting our information like natural resource: paying some capital cost to mine it, then processing and monetizing it for a profit, but in no way remunerating or compensating the source from which it is gathered. I don't like that. I don't like the way it feels. I don't like it when banks and credit card companies sell my information, and I don't like when software companies do it either. Clearly my information has value, but the value of the trade isn't clear. So I keep away from these things.

What I really want is a clear information currency system, so I know exactly what I'm trading, and can determine for myself the value of it.
    Anything App, Program, Software or system that requires you to create a log-in is somehow utilizing your information. That is how they pay the bills, by selling your info to companies who want to utilize the insights to target advertise to you.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Do you do that from your personal page or via a record collecting group? I have a shortage of Australian albums in my collection so let me know please
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/cdan...arket/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/viny...ralia/?fref=ts

Anything in particular your after?
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Thanks George, I joined the groups. I'm after various obscure psych and prog albums as usual, private pressings etc., mostly stuff that hasn't been reissued on CD or is so good musically that I feel the need to have the originals. I'm slowly but surely getting some of my favorite music on vinyl. Buying LPs from Australia isn't easy because of the shipping costs (last time I received a list from Australian dealer he told me that trackable shipping of 1 record to Russia costs $64!), so ideally I'm in search for a trade contact from down there who would love to swap some rare Aussie stuff for European prog and psych. But this is a tough call of course.

I've been away for a few days, and after catching up on the posts ......I've decided to join Facebook. And it's going to be the most bizarre %$#@ I can possibly conjure up. Outrageous, over the top, beyond the pale, unfrogging believable. With really bad Photoshopped pictures too.
    Definitely with my real name , just for all those from years ago looking for me.
    (This will take quite a while to do, suggestions and or examples are invited and welcomed)

The 'unfollow' button. Become familiar with it Especially if you don't want to read everyone's politics and social causes because that shit is tossed in peoples faces constantly.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

True dat! When it comes to that shit I'd rather keep people guessing.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Anything App, Program, Software or system that requires you to create a log-in is somehow utilizing your information. That is how they pay the bills, by selling your info to companies who want to utilize the insights to target advertise to you.
    My entire post was predicated on that knowledge.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Polypet, Walt Nektroid or Kektaroid. That was Kenny. He was a big Nektar fan. I regularly saw him at a pub in Ft. Lauderdale for a few years. Since I don't hang out at that pub anymore I've lost touch. Yeah was disgruntled about a few things but he's always been cool with me.
    Very cool. Nektroid, right. If you see him, please tell him Kimara sends his regards. We were good friends once
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

I am told that my company checks Facebooks regularly. My last company was bought out by a bigger, much more internet savvy company that expects me to "reflect my companies values" while I maintain an online presence. Needless to say, I have a facebook page, but I will never use it to post any kind of even mildly controversial topics, nor would I joke or show anything that is mildly personal in nature. Some of you know who I am, but I do not appreciate my company's desire to keep an eye on my personal online exploits. Yodelgoat's worlds must not collide. They will kill Independent Yodelgoat.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I've been away for a few days, and after catching up on the posts ......I've decided to join Facebook. And it's going to be the most bizarre %$#@ I can possibly conjure up. Outrageous, over the top, beyond the pale, unfrogging believable. With really bad Photoshopped pictures too.
    Definitely with my real name , just for all those from years ago looking for me.
    (This will take quite a while to do, suggestions and or examples are invited and welcomed)
    Actually, this bloody throng here have got me almost to reconsider it.

Shooooo, you evil people!!!

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Some of you know who I am, but I do not appreciate my company's desire to keep an eye on my personal online exploits. Yodelgoat's worlds must not collide. They will kill Independent Yodelgoat.
    I'm not a fan of this, either. Unless you're directly attacking your employer or doing something illegal, there's no need for your employer to eavesdrop on your personal life.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Levgan View Post
    Thanks George, I joined the groups. I'm after various obscure psych and prog albums as usual, private pressings etc., mostly stuff that hasn't been reissued on CD or is so good musically that I feel the need to have the originals. I'm slowly but surely getting some of my favorite music on vinyl. Buying LPs from Australia isn't easy because of the shipping costs (last time I received a list from Australian dealer he told me that trackable shipping of 1 record to Russia costs $64!), so ideally I'm in search for a trade contact from down there who would love to swap some rare Aussie stuff for European prog and psych. But this is a tough call of course.
    I had a check on that postage price as it seems excessive.

The price quoted is for Express Courier International Postage which will have tracking and be fast.

Registered Post is about $AU27

Normal Airmail Post is about $AU20

Remember that Registered Post and Trackable post protect the seller, not the buyer.
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Maybe I should start an alternative to Facebook called Assbook, where your profile photo has to be of your naked ass, warts & all, and the only topics that can be discussed are ass hygiene and the treatment of colo-rectal ailments.

The slogan can be "Letting nothing slip through the cracks".

The above will happen before I ever join Facebook.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Maybe I should start an alternative to Facebook called Assbook, where your profile photo has to be of your naked ass, warts & all, and the only topics that can be discussed are ass hygiene and the treatment of colo-rectal ailments.

So, in the end, what you're saying is that Assbook is almost ready to be unveiled.

See you on FaceBook, 'geezer!

I'll join reluctantly, but only because I am a tech lemming. I may need a stand-in ass though, is that allowed on Assbook?
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Clorox bleach will be your sponsor!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

And I'll start a Farcebook site.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Believe me, there are plenty of asses on Facebook.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    And I'll start a Farcebook site.
    Well, in the spirit of supporting Geeze's proposal, would the UK version be named "FARSEbook?
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I call it Fakebook.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Well, in the spirit of supporting Geeze's proposal, would the UK version be named "FARSEbook?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I call it Fakebook.
    I French, we say fessebouc (which comes like the "male goat's bumcheeks"