Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm the same, I have a bunch of good friends from the festival & music scene & fb is a good way to keep in touch. Michel from RIO pings me on FB every now and then. Its worth it just for that.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    meimjustalawnmower?

Oh sh--! Know why?
    Not specifically, no. I forget. Said something stupid, no doubt.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    well, if I used fb, I'd only "friends" with people I know (or knew at one point in my life) that I'd lost contact with, not to make "new fb buddies"
    But do you know everyone here (or other forums)? It's all just online interaction, regardless of format. I've discovered new bands and learned plenty more about bands I already loved, often from their own mouths (or fingers, I guess ), and had some great conversations with people I would have otherwise never come across had I decided to turn my nose up at FB. I've come across people with specific tastes akin to mine that I can't find 'in real life', or even here (as much as I love it here of course).

Like I said before, FB can be tailored to your exact tastes with very little difficulty - in fact, more so than a forum like this, where you can either see everything someone says or just block them entirely. It's a bit baffling to me how opposed some people are to it. I have yet to see a truly good reason why (and no need for anyone to be clever here and quote a previous post detailing what they think is a good reason, I've been following this whole thread). By all means, continue to shun it, I'm not trying to sell anyone on FB... but spare me the armchair criticisms like the one I read earlier on referring to FB users as 'sheeple'. That's a catch-all term that doesn't apply IMO. All I really see in this thread is a small group of internet users pointing the finger of judgment at a larger group of internet users, and coming across as crochety, paranoid, 'get off my lawn' types. Not that I expect anyone's mind to be changed here, but I felt it was worth being said.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Thanks to fb I discovered that there is a whole new world with people who actually share the same taste in moozik as me
    I don't post or comment daily on there, I got burned out, this happened to me also with most online radio shows, sometimes I listened to 3 radios shows per day right after work, had little sleep. Now, I often go for days without opening fb, also as much as I adore animals, I have seen my fair share of cute cat and dogs pics on there to last me a life time

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    For me it is not about making new “buddies”, but being able to keep up with friends I already know who live all over the place. For example, I have made some very good friends from attending ProgDay, NEARfest and ROSfest over the years, who live all over the country. Some of these people I may only actually see once a year (or never). With Facebook I can keep up with what they are doing and they can do the same with me. It is. I am also on a beer group, a bunch of music groups, and other common interest type things which I enjoy. It is probably not for everybody, but I dig it.
    what's wrong with them good'ol e-mails to keep in touch? or did you not keep in touch with your buddies before fb?

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I'm the same, I have a bunch of good friends from the festival & music scene & fb is a good way to keep in touch. Michel from RIO pings me on FB every now and then. Its worth it just for that.
    don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are plenty of cool moments shared on fb.... or else, there wouldn't be one billion people on this planet doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    But do you know everyone here (or other forums)? It's all just online interaction, regardless of format. I've discovered new bands and learned plenty more about bands I already loved, often from their own mouths (or fingers, I guess ), and had some great conversations with people I would have otherwise never come across had I decided to turn my nose up at FB. I've come across people with specific tastes akin to mine that I can't find 'in real life', or even here (as much as I love it here of course).
    of course I don't .... and I have no wish to, because meeting everyone in person here is impossible... but comparing discussion forums to fb is not really a fair one, because they function very differently... Sorry to break down wide-opened door, here.
    But forums like these are free-joining (the only ones controlling who joins PE are the Admins), whereas on fb, you get to choose who you discuss with about what topic (if any)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

most people on fb don't have names like humpy bunny, starkgenerator, crimsonrushbuddy etc. (I had to make those up not to name anyone), most profiles are real all social networks serve a different purpose really

I use FB for several things.

For a little light hearted humoUr
    Keeping in touch with friends
    Selling Vinyl (about $600 in the last few months)
    To help promote the theatre company that I do some work for
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I was thinking more Luddite - no cell phone, no FB. So, either Amish or Hipster.
    Or smart enough to pick and choose the technology he wishes to embrace and not be a lemming and follow every trend.... When Facebook draws you all into the Matrix you'll be glad that people like me will be on the outside and in a position to liberate you all.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

As much as I don't care for social media sites I'm happy with my cell phone. That's how I stay in touch with the people who are important to me by texting and calling. I never leave home without it.

Actually, I hate telephones. They always interrupt you when you are busy doing something, and mostly it's just someone who wants to sell something.

It's not the phone's fault, it's the idiot solicitors you should hate. I personally prefer texting rather than calling because it's less intrusive.

It's not being sheep. It's being social.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    It's not the phone's fault, it's the idiot solicitors you should hate. I personally prefer texting rather than calling because it's less intrusive.
    The phone rings always when I'm busy doing other things, or when I'm not able to pick it up, which annoys the hell out of me, even if it's my dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    It's not being sheep. It's being social.
    For me, that's not a 24/7 occupation.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    The phone rings always when I'm busy doing other things, or when I'm not able to pick it up, which annoys the hell out of me, even if it's my dad.
    I think email is a wonderful invention, and underused. That's right, I said "underused".

That's especially true in business. I could not count the number of times I was interrupted in the middle of some task by a phone call from one of my superiors, and it was about something that needed attention, but not immediate attention - despite what they may have wanted to believe. It was just a combination of laziness in not wanting to take the time to properly compose an email, combined with an attitude of "I don't care what he's doing, or for whom, this is for me so it's more important". They could not bear the thought that I might not see the message until ten later when I checked my email.

Some technological features of modern life are great, such as email. Others, I could do without (and do, in some cases).

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    For me, that's not a 24/7 occupation.
    Who said anything about 24/7? I get a kick out of you guys fighting the fight when you have no idea what your fighting against. Don't knock 'till you try...simple as that.

Your point is valid concerning it being a social thing. I know myself to not be a very social person. I don't have any problems in social situations but I often choose to avoid them. I love to be left alone. For me, that is the crux of the matter where Facebook is concerned. Why sign up for something that I will spend so little time actually doing? My sister is on Facebook and she tells me that certain people keep asking her where I am...guys I grew up with. Meanwhile I have had the same phone number and same e-mail address for 20 years. But I have to be on Facebook to exist in their reality. I choose not to. There's also the fact that I can only stand my brother in very small quantities (ie: spending 3 days with him every 3 years) and he lives on Facebook. How do I join and not create a family situation by choosing not the "friend" him or basically ignoring him?

So I'm not slamming facebook, I'm merely stating that it's not for me. I have seen it and it does not appeal to me. I'm a throwback to an earlier, simpler time I guess. I don't feel the need to stay in touch with 95% of the people I have met in my life. The 5% I can see every now and then, but my life is mostly about my girlfriend and I.

Perfectly understandable. Grinch.

But then, on the sunny side of the street, FB provides gems like this one waiting for me this morning:

FB-BillBruford.jpg

It reads...

"Just advising – because we said we would – that Bill has been awarded the degree of Doctor of Philosophy after 4˝ years at the University of Surrey, UK. He now joins the small band of drumming academics (or academic drummers) who continue to shed light on what drummers are for, in the broader context of what it means to make music. Of course, we all know the answer to that... Admin."

...Adrian Belew's FB is an absolute delight to follow as well...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Perfectly understandable. Grinch.
    Thanks...

Now get off my lawn!

Hey y'all I am still here. I spend more time on FB as I am looking for new music, I am on a Djent group on FB and Erik's Experimental Metal group there too. I have been watching the new releases thread here. Anyways, I do miss Yogi and the others. suppers ready (Mike Howarth) is on FB but his ultra-Christian rantings were too much for me and I un-friended him. Lino and I do converse regularly on FB. My work also for a long time was extremely busy but has almost stopped, due to outsourcing. That will change shortly to extremely busy.
    I think the prog stuff has lost it's luster for me and I find the fusion/electronic/metal/post-rock/Zeuhl (yep I still like Cuneiform releases) more interesting and FB has quite a following of these genres.

Suspended
    I never heard of Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    what's wrong with them good'ol e-mails to keep in touch? or did you not keep in touch with your buddies before fb? e who you discuss with about what topic (if any)
    It is totally different, but I don't know how to properly explain it if you have never used Facebook. My wife got on Facebook long before I did and I always used to have the same attitude.....until I tried it. Now I am on it more than she is.

I personally know and have met everyone on my facebook. And meet many of them regularly, also they all use their real names on fb.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    He was just here within the week. Unfortunately, he states he is not doing well:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...-That-happened
    Not all that bad, just not as well as I'd like and I seemed to be a little bit off my rocker at times. When I have a hard time understanding what I've posted, then maybe it's time for a head check.

Thanks for the shout out, guys. Truly didn't expect to see my name in this thread. I'll be posting a bit but gonna keep it to a minimum until whenever I feel "right", whatever that is.

Cheers!
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000