Page 13 of 72 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The more I read about Facebook in this thread, the more convinced I am that not joining is a good thing. My girlfriend is not on it either, and neither one of us owns a cell phone....
    Then how has she been able to text me all those pictures?

I can see the need for privacy so I don’t begrudge anyone that does not use their own name. I don’t really have anyone I am looking to avoid, though I do wonder why some people from my past bother to friend me and then say nothing. Like the majority of people I went to school with. Sometimes I feel like cutting them all loose. The whole “what have you done for me lately” thing comes to mind and the answer is “not shit!”. At least drop by and make me laugh occasionally or share a cool song or story. Maybe they are just perpetually boring though. Might be asking too much of them.

Most modern businesses NEED to have a strong social media presence - it can significantly add to their bottom line over time. One of my mission-critical duties at work is to monitor our social media and analytics, then develop marketing/advertising strategies for all of our workshops, seminars, publications and news feeds accordingly. It's vital that a collaborative institution like ours share this information - - - bottom line is that it may ultimately save lives down-line.

I don't have a lot of friends or family to begin with - but I do enjoy absorbing all the shared articles and media content as it relates to music, animals, etc . . . and can easily stip away the nefarious . . . can't begin to tell you how many cool musical events I've attended here in the region because of Facebook and the networking it provides - - - that alone is worth it for me. I keep in close touch with my friends back home (Yves knows them well) - plus all the other PE users that have migrated too . . .

Don't be afraid of everything you hear - - - it's really an amazing thing when you think about it. Mark's good people too - - - I hired him long ago at Harvard to create a (FMPro) database tool for our Undergrad Admission dept - - - he left school shortly after that to chase the dream. I still have a Facebook PM going with him to this day. Gotta' give him credit for donating 99% of his current worth ($45 billion) . . . that alone has the potential to change the world.

The more I read about Facebook in this thread, the more convinced I am that not joining is a good thing.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Then how has she been able to text me all those pictures?
    Enjoy those! When you meet her in person you'll discover that she don't look that way anymore! That's how I got roped in!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

It's all about how much you are willing to put out there too. It's your choice how much of yourself you reveal and how much you see of someone else's posts. I keep mine mostly musical so my tastes are very obvious, but not when it comes to other things in life like politics and religion. I feel those are too personal to stick out there on FB for appraisal and I question the judgment of those who do. As if people really give a shit what they think about those things. Maybe a few friends might but the rest of your list probably does not.

"I changed my mind about politics (or religion) thanks to your posts on FB" said no one, ever.

Also "'You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" comes to mind.
    Last edited by Sean; 02-26-2016 at 11:52 AM.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's mostly for professional use, from what I gather... if you're looking for a change of job and want to know of vacancies

Kind of a headhunting thingie.
    LinkedIn is quite different from Facebook. It may not be all that different in the mechanics of how it operates, but as Trane says it is more a business thing, a bit like a way of publishing your CV. It's not intended as a social connection platform, and while you might mention non-professional interests, such as having a liking for progresive rock music, you most certainly would NOT post a clip of yourself slumped in a chair drunk with a flowerpot on your head singing "Whip It".

Basically, you are not advised to put anything on your LinkedIn profile that you would not be prepared to put on your job application.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    LinkedIn is quite different from Facebook. It may not be all that different in the mechanics of how it operates, but as Trane says it is more a business thing, a bit like a way of publishing your CV. It's not intended as a social connection platform, and while you might mention non-professional interests, such as having a liking for progresive rock music, you most certainly would NOT post a clip of yourself slumped in a chair drunk with a flowerpot on your head singing "Whip It".
    So these companies are not looking for creativity?

Nefarious

That's Vinny in the background - same night Dale could not make it back to his hotel and slept on the floor not far from where that pic was taken.

Last edited by WHORG; 02-26-2016 at 12:07 PM.

LOL! we had those crazy plastic cigarettes where the tips lit up!

I gotta tell you, I cannot get as ripped as we used to at those FMPMs anymore...Though I never danced with the green fairy as much as I did at Echolyn in Lowell MA! IIRC, it was the weekend after this particular FMPM...

Those were good times for sure.

I remember the Echolyn show too - - - spectacular - - - we were about 5 feet away from the band.

Was that the night you slept in your sneakers because they were knotted up so bad? And yelling at birds???

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    Was that the night you slept in your sneakers because they were knotted up so bad? And yelling at birds???
    I was told this... I have no recollection...

For those of you not in the know.... Whorg is the one with the shades on, I'm wearing the pork pie hat (courtesy of progeezer) and Too Tall 128 can be seen in the background. I am guessing this is FMPM 2008.

I always suspected that Yves was Amish!
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    Where art thou,Biffy Elephant Shrew?
    Went crackers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Went crackers.
    Ah, so the Ritz hit the fan for Biffy.

Mister T, are you he?
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    I always suspected that Yves was Amish!
    You mean Jewish, right?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    You mean Jewish, right?
    I was thinking more Luddite - no cell phone, no FB. So, either Amish or Hipster.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

No FB here either, and the only reasons I have an antique flip cell phone are the 3 occasions my sperm fertilized eggs that were carried to term, and a 1991 trip to Romania where another adopted 2 got added. No kids, no cell phone here either

I wear the Luddite mantel with great pride.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've forgotten his screen name already. He was a Jersey kid. Real conservative, big Dream Theater fan. He could be a little irritating. And he passed away. I was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've forgotten his screen name already. He was a Jersey kid. Real conservative, big Dream Theater fan. He could be a little irritating. And he passed away. I was shocked.
    That was Yanks. He usually added the current year behind it. Never agreed with his politics or his stance on drugs but I had plenty of great musical discussions with him over the years. RIP.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

He wasn't a bad egg at all. He wasn't timid about his political persuasion.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    It's all about how much you are willing to put out there too. It's your choice how much of yourself you reveal and how much you see of someone else's posts. I keep mine mostly musical so my tastes are very obvious, but not when it comes to other things in life like politics and religion. I feel those are too personal to stick out there on FB for appraisal and I question the judgment of those who do. As if people really give a shit what they think about those things. Maybe a few friends might but the rest of your list probably does not.

"I changed my mind about politics (or religion) thanks to your posts on FB" said no one, ever.

Also "'You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do" comes to mind.
    Good points. I am the same. Pretty much stick to Music, Sports and Beer. No politics or religion . I still love it as a great way to keep in touch with friends all over the country (and world) as well as some generally good discussions about the above subjects.

meimjustalawnmower?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He was perma-banned during PE 2.0, I think.

Oh sh--! Know why?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    You don't have to use your real name on Facebook, but I generally don't "friend" people unless I know who they are. I would say the vast majority of the people on my friends list use their real names.
    well, if I used fb, I'd only "friends" with people I know (or knew at one point in my life) that I'd lost contact with, not to make "new fb buddies"

The more I read about Facebook in this thread, the more convinced I am that not joining is a good thing. My girlfriend is not on it either, and neither one of us owns a cell phone....
    exactfuckingly

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    No FB here either, and the only reasons I have an antique flip cell phone are the 3 occasions my sperm fertilized eggs that were carried to term, and a 1991 trip to Romania where another adopted 2 got added. No kids, no cell phone here either

I wear the Luddite mantel with great pride.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    well, if I used fb, I'd only "friends" with people I know (or knew at one point in my life) that I'd lost contact with, not to make "new fb buddieol
    For me it is not about making new “buddies”, but being able to keep up with friends I already know who live all over the place. For example, I have made some very good friends from attending ProgDay, NEARfest and ROSfest over the years, who live all over the country. Some of these people I may only actually see once a year (or never). With Facebook I can keep up with what they are doing and they can do the same with me. It is. I am also on a beer group, a bunch of music groups, and other common interest type things which I enjoy. It is probably not for everybody, but I dig it.