Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415162262 ... LastLast

Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have to say that in a way FB is more "real" than here because everyone has to use their name. I actually like that- knowing the person I am talking to a bit better than just a screen name.
    Name ? -Just an assembly of letters (or numbers in some cases). Makes no diff to me. All I see is the persona behind the label. What's a 'real' name good for ?? Projecting prejudice (good or bad) on ethnic names ?? A 'real' name does not comfort me.

I agree FB is more 'real' than PE, just because of the advertising that saturates the whole media world. PE is an idyllic island from reality in that sense, I hope it never changes.

Has anyone seen meimjustalawnmower around here? We actually met several times in person since he used to work at a record store I visited a lot, but I haven't seen him in years now.

He was perma-banned during PE 2.0, I think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Why the constant selfies? People don't want to go to events for the event anymore, they just want a selfie of themselves at the event....
    I know what you mean. Don't you just hate it when a large breasted girl just whips those huskies out and posts a picture. Do they really think we want to see those things.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Suspended
    For Sean there's no mystery.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Screen names are fine. One can always view the members profiles, where I use my real name and location.

I do Facebook, never looked at Twitter and haven't used an Apple product since 2008 when I used an Ipod for 3 or 4 months.

I still think a Facebook version of a message board is redundant, that is, I don't know why I'd do both.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    While we're on 'old man rants'.... what's the need to photograph everything? Every mocha latte, every quesadilla, every piece of cheesecake you order in a restaurant? Why the constant selfies? People don't want to go to events for the event anymore, they just want a selfie of themselves at the event....
    Amen!

There's one guy (who I unfortunately know) that posts exactly like you described. It's especially odd when a guy is infatuated with selfies. Glad I am no longer associated with his Facebook feed. Just checked, and yes, there's food pics along with the usual crap as the most recent 'news' from that person.

My FB is pretty well kept. I have eliminated, or muted, those that take narcissism to the Nth degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Any social media - Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc. - are only as good as the people who post and the content therein. Don't like Twitter? Then you're not following the right accounts. Don't like Facebook? Then your "friends" suck. Don't like a message board? Then you're either not on the right message board for what you're looking for or you need to use the "block" feature more.
    Not exactly. There are various types of social media. It's also the concept behind, that counts as well.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I have to say that in a way FB is more "real" than here because everyone has to use their name. I actually like that- knowing the person I am talking to a bit better than just a screen name.
    You beat me to it as that is exactly what I was going to say. At least on Facebook I know who I am talking to. I love this message board, but have always found it frustrating that I have no clue who most people here are, even though I probably know some of them personally because most users here don't use their names. As I said earlier in this thread I enjoy both this message board and Facebook sometimes for different reasons, but they both have value to me.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010721...ssiveears.com/

Take a little trip back.. Some links are still clickable too if you want to read a little PE Circa 2001

And here we are, ten years back-

https://web.archive.org/web/20060107...ssiveears.com/

Even a lot of review links work too.
    And just as I thought the old PE 2.0 wounds were finally healing , here comes Sean with a kilo of salt to spread all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pssssst Sean . I don't use my "real name" on FB
    Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    A lot of people have the misconception that Facebook is for "friends/family" only - - - it's really a coordinated, multi-faceted communication tool that's morphed into organizations, businesses and the like world wide.
    Re fb: (sorry dudes, I don't capitalize such an evil tool ) I think early users didn't have to use their real names. I'm not sure if (and when) this "real name rule" has ever been enforced, though not using it would seem counter-productive, since you want to be reachable with old mong-lost buddies

Other "social networks" like Linked In are extremely inquisitive and obtrusive... I've had many requests to join and be friends on my yahoo address, when I never clicked on a LI link... the bloody tool just looked at my buddies' address book without their consent.
    Even 13 years ago, within days, yahoo had opened my e-mails and addressed me with/on my first name basis
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Pssssst Sean . I don't use my "real name" on FB
    Neither do I...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    At least on Facebook I know who I am talking to.
    +1

I conduct business on FB, and network within my branch. The only other social media I am able to do that on, with real people using their real names and real detials is LinkedIn.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Neither do I...
    Really? Wow!

I'm fascinated, what benefit do you get out of FB then, if you're not yourself there?

I've never tried FB so I won't knock it, but I've had invitations to join Linkdin. Not sure why but it just has no attraction to me. I prefer message boards. The other thing that sours me on social media sites is the pressure in business and social circles seem to put on you to join. "What? You're not on Facebook?" "Are you serious?" Yes, I've gotten comments like that. Then a few years ago it seemed like every day there was a story about FB, and "privacy" and people getting fired from their jobs because someone took a selfie at a party while doing bong hits and some moron posts it on facebook. The final deal breaker was when I read that employers were asking employees (and potential employees) to let them have access to their facebook accounts (or something, or other). Wow, really? Maybe it's bullshit, or whatever but I'm just not interested. I get enough online interaction here.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I've never tried FB so I won't knock it, but I've had invitations to join Linkdin. Not sure why but it just has no attraction to me. I prefer message boards.

It's mostly for professional use, from what I gather... if you're looking for a change of job and want to know of vacancies

Kind of a headhunting thingie.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Really? Wow!

I'm fascinated, what benefit do you get out of FB then, if you're not yourself there?
    It's me who chooses my friends and rarely the other way round.
    I participate into discussions and groups I feel the real need to participate.
    I don't have any unwanted family members or relatives, tracing me.
    I'm not spied upon by work colleagues or executives.
    I limit intrudive links to my privacy the best possible.
    I am not loosing the beneficial wealth of info and events that is available there.
    I am avoiding most people I went to school or college with...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    It's mostly for professional use, from what I gather... if you're looking for a change of job and want to know of vacancies

Kind of a headhunting thingie.
    It could be that but the impression I've gotten from reading about it is that it's a way for employers to see what kind of "character" you have. If you like to party and drink on weekends, well golly we expect this guy/girl to get a dui. We can't have that can we? Like I said, maybe it's BS but it did seem for a while a couple years ago that that's all you heard about social networking sites. I'm gonna resist as long as I can. If my employer told me I had to have a facebook page then I'd do it. I'd wanna tell 'em to shove it but I won't of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I know it. I don't get people using screen names here.
    I use a screen name, but my "real" name is easily accessible; I've used this screen name in a number of places for many years, it says something about me, and it was just comfortable to stick with it here.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    I use a screen name, but my "real" name is easily accessible; I've used this screen name in a number of places for many years, it says something about me, and it was just comfortable to stick with it here.
    Exactly, my info is in my profile is someone wants to look. I was attempting to make a joke about me using a screen name.
    J is the 10th letter of the alphabet, D is the 04th letter, and W is the 23rd. Those are my initials (John D. White) so really I'm using my name.

I used to use screen names but, as you meet people in the flesh and return to PE, you tend to call them by their real names. After a while I just went with my real name. All the cool kids were doing it....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Ever had a stalker?

I have. It's not fun.

My screen name here (or at least part of it) has become my name!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I have a list of "friend requests" on FaceBook a mile long - - - most from people who have no real intention of interaction, just nosy and want to know your business. There's lots of places on the web (and deepweb) you can get your freak on believe me . . . Facebook should not be one of them. I've always kept a straight forward, politically and religiously neutral, and substance free stance . . . as you should anywhere on the publicly facing web (using your real name).

It is sad how intrusive and easily accessible your information has become . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    And just as I thought the old PE 2.0 wounds were finally healing , here comes Sean with a kilo of salt to spread all over it.

Re fb: (sorry dudes, I don't capitalize such an evil tool ) I think early users didn't have to use their real names. I'm not sure if (and when) this "real name rule" has ever been enforced, though not using it would seem counter-productive, since you want to be reachable with old mong-lost buddies

name basis
    You don't have to use your real name on Facebook, but I generally don't "friend" people unless I know who they are. I would say the vast majority of the people on my friends list use their real names.

The more I read about Facebook in this thread, the more convinced I am that not joining is a good thing. My girlfriend is not on it either, and neither one of us owns a cell phone....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-