Thread: MIA PE members from the past...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Spoken as if the three of you have never used or seen Twitter once in their lives.
    Nope... I've been there for about a week, three years ago. Never logged-in since.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Sonia_Mota View Post
    Cooee, Hugues before really disliking fb you ought atleast join and become a member I understand what you mean but the reality/experience is very different to what you might perceive it to be. You can be anonymous on fb if you wish to be or only share info with friends etc etc. etc. but judging that network site without even have joined this certainly will not give any kind of correct or otherwise perception
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    In short, while indeed I can still see a usefulness in fb (my hatred of fb is not just linked to zuckerberg, but how people misuse it or let it run their lives), I clearly don't see one in twit-ter.
    Bisous04.gif
    Last edited by Trane; 02-25-2016 at 05:34 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by pr33t
    Lev, you might already know, but Mike is on FB. I've reconnected with him recently.
    Oh yeah I've seen Mike there. I did not add him, though, just because I generally don't add any non-Russian folks to my friends' list in fear that they might feel obliged to add me back, and I post in Russian, so all they get is a lot of incomprehensible characters spamming their news feed It's a different thing, of course, when they add me first – then I have no qualms about adding them too.

Any social media - Twitter, Facebook, message boards, etc. - are only as good as the people who post and the content therein. Don't like Twitter? Then you're not following the right accounts. Don't like Facebook? Then your "friends" suck. Don't like a message board? Then you're either not on the right message board for what you're looking for or you need to use the "block" feature more.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

My reason for never joining Facebook is that there are certain people I just as soon not hear from. Unfortunately that includes family members. Very difficult to refuse a friend invite from your brother, for example, without making waves. Besides, other than posting here when I should be working, I don't have the time for it. At home, I only turn my computer on for about an hour a day, and not even every day. I'd be playing catch up all the time if I was on Facebook.

95% of us here remember a time before computers. We got along fine. Why do we all now "need" to be socially in contact with each other 24/7?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    My reason for never joining Facebook is that there are certain people I just as soon not hear from. Unfortunately that includes family members. Very difficult to refuse a friend invite from your brother, for example, without making waves. Besides, other than posting here when I should be working, I don't have the time for it. At home, I only turn my computer on for about an hour a day, and not even every day. I'd be playing catch up all the time if I was on Facebook.

95% of us here remember a time before computers. We got along fine. Why do we all now "need" to be socially in contact with each other 24/7?
    You answered the question yoursel. We don't.

I myself probably spend more time mucking about online than I should, but I have never felt the need for Facebook.

Because the sheeple must be led.
    Wannabes need a persona to follow and mold their lives to.
    Being a follower is so much easier than being a leader, being original, or being creative.

I've a FB page, haven't even visited it for at least 5 years. I wonder if it's still there ??

Facebook -just not for everybody. Seen it, done it, been there...don't need it, want it, like it. Barely have time for PE. And for the other sites .... I'm just not the trained consumer they're looking for.

Perhaps I just prefer real people and the real world around me.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Because the sheeple must be led.
    Wannabes need a persona to follow and mold their lives to.
    Being a follower is so much easier than being a leader, being original, or being creative.

I've a FB page, haven't even visited it for at least 5 years. I wonder if it's still there ??

Facebook -just not for everybody. Seen it, done it, been there...don't need it, want it, like it. Barely have time for PE. And for the other sites .... I'm just not the trained consumer they're looking for.

Agree. Alas not much real people near me. Well, there are, but I'm not good at communicating.

While we're on 'old man rants'.... what's the need to photograph everything? Every mocha latte, every quesadilla, every piece of cheesecake you order in a restaurant? Why the constant selfies? People don't want to go to events for the event anymore, they just want a selfie of themselves at the event....
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

While we're on 'old man rants'.... what's the need to photograph everything? Every mocha latte, every quesadilla, every piece of cheesecake you order in a restaurant? Why the constant selfies? People don't want to go to events for the event anymore, they just want a selfie of themselves at the event....
    That's so irritating.... a good buddy of mine is not on fb but he's always toying with his smartphone and taking bloody pictures of everything (including his plate and mine)... then when he wants to show me a picture of something he's talking about, he spends about 20 minutes looking for it, then in 50% of the case, he can't find it.

Worst thing is he's the only one that outlasted me in the refusal to fall in the "cell-phone bottomless pit" (as we used to call it.

Now, I use my cell phone (an old shell-clam Motorola) more as a watch than anything else, and for 99.99% it's in my pocket . I only give my number to those I feel worthy of it.
    He (buddy) used to hate it so much, but for a third of the evening we'll spend together, he'll be toying with the fucken thing. Reminding him about his old hatred only gets him upset (at himself mostly)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    I do too. On FB and physically...still real people no? Facebook can be a big waste of time for sure, but speaking for myself, I have some great laughs there and it's certainly a great place to share music and other things you enjoy. Like people have said already, you can mold FB to how you like it and be friends with whoever you want. There's no forcing anything...you choose.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I have to say that in a way FB is more "real" than here because everyone has to use their name. I actually like that- knowing the person I am talking to a bit better than just a screen name.

Suspended
    Australian pop singer Tina Arena recently had a near meltdown while performing on some stage in Europe, being freaked out by the sight of nearly every member of the audience pointing a phone or an iPad at her - as opposed to watching her and listening to her sing. According to her, this was not a matter of acting the prima donna; she was actually finding the experience a little frightening. She politely asked the audience to put away their cameras and "enjoy the moment, because you are not capturing it by photographing it, even if you think you are". One by one, they did so, and she said "Thank you" and carried on.

I've never been a great fan of Tina Arena, but I applauded her for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I have to say that in a way FB is more "real" than here because everyone has to use their name. I actually like that- knowing the person I am talking to a bit better than just a screen name.
    I agree.

Beer, of course, is fine, but not all that other stuff.

I'm FB friends with both Coldie and Scott. Miss them here.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Remember Marty the super Yes fan? I wonder Howe he is doing now! He used to work Yes names and such into his posts.
    He used to hang out with me and theproffet in the chat room. He told us once that he had a serious illness similar to or related to Chrone's (sic?) and had to spend most of his time at home. I wish I could find out how he is doing. Real fun guy.

'

I am convinced that most gigs, festivals, events sell out so quickly just to give them something to post about, and to make them seem more interesting to their "friends".

I use Facebook but am ruthless with who I allow into my news feed. The first breakfast, lunch or dinner picture and they are moved to that status of friend who I no longer read crap from. I have got back in touch with many an old friend though, so I'm not really anti.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know it. I don't get people using screen names here.

Pssssst Sean . I don't use my "real name" on FB
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    I know it. I don't get people using screen names here.
    I don't get why people use screen numbers here
    “Pleasure and pain can be experienced simultaneously,” she said, gently massaging my back as we listened to her Coldplay CD.

Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I don't get why people use screen numbers here

A lot of people have the misconception that Facebook is for "friends/family" only - - - it's really a coordinated, multi-faceted communication tool that's morphed into organizations, businesses and the like world wide.
    It's always a good night when the "heat" shows up ~Pepe

https://web.archive.org/web/20010721...ssiveears.com/

Take a little trip back.. Some links are still clickable too if you want to read a little PE Circa 2001

And here we are, ten years back-

https://web.archive.org/web/20060107...ssiveears.com/

Even a lot of review links work too.

FB is really the only social media that is true to the real world, and I use it for advertising a business, and I have a group page for that small business a friend and I have. you can also find jobs on FB as well.

Twitter, instagram, the old myspace etc., and discussion forums like this can be as fake and as anonymous as each person wants them to be.