Thread: Software for M-Audio keyboard?

Software for M-Audio keyboard?

OK, an M-Audio Keystation 49e just fell into my lap today. My computer recognizes it, but I can’t get any sounds out of it. It seems that this thing comes bundled with recording software and a piano plugin, both of which didn’t come with my used keyboard (obviously). Any suggestions on stuff to download to at least get some sound out of this thing?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Here's a program which can load and use any VST synth:
    http://www.hermannseib.com/english/vsthost.htm

In order for the above program to work, you need ASIO drivers. If you don't have an ASIO compatible audio interface, use the following:
    http://www.asio4all.com/

Here's a couple of VST synths:
    Drawbar Organ...AZR3
    Pianos...http://mda.smartelectronix.com/synths.htm

Thanks, this did help some, but I still can’t get it to produce sound. Wondering if a) my keyboard’s busted (possible, I did find it used) or b) I just need to go through the instructions with a fine-toothed comb (also possible, because I have no idea what I’m doing!).

The first step would be to verify you have the keyboard set up to send info on a particular MIDI channel. Then you need to make sure the VST host software is receiving that MIDI info - there is usually some sort of indicator that lights up when you press a key. Also, did you find and install any driver software that came with the keyboard (or which you downloaded from M-Audio's website)?
    <sig out of order>

After that, it's making sure that the VST host is set up to use the correct audio outputs.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    After that, it's making sure that the VST host is set up to use the correct audio outputs.
    In particular, make sure the ASIO drivers are selected in VST host. Last time I used it, I had to select the drivers manually.

Well, it’s working now. I even came up with the opening chords to Argent’s “On My Feet Again” accidentally, while just noodling around. Unfortunately, I did something to screw it up again. No matter what plugin I choose, only the piano sound comes out. I don’t want to have to uninstall/reinstall this thing again, but it looks like I might have to! At least it works now! I’ll get this right yet!

EDIT: Fixed! Yes, I did have to re-install it yet again, yet everything seems to work fine now. It also seems that I can’t use this with the HDMI cable hooked up to the TV or it’ll just revert to the piano sound. Oh well, headphones ensure I won’t disturb anyone with my crappy keyboard playing!

Downloaded the Redtron SE Mellotron sample plugin in addition to a drawbar organ, basic piano and analog-style synth. I could be heard to utter, “no man should be granted such power.”
    Last edited by Progbear; 02-19-2016 at 03:23 AM.

This thread inspired me to get my little M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard working with Reaper. Fun...
    <sig out of order>