Thread: Progulus Radio diverges into two separate internet radio stations

Progulus Radio diverges into two separate internet radio stations

Hey all,

New to the forum here but I wanted to post some news:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PROGULUS RADIO Now Provides Two Streams to Separate Prog Rock from Prog Metal

February 16th, 2016

Windsor, CO Progulus Radio is pleased to announce the creation of two new radio stations, airing for the first time in early February. The new stations are a divergence from the original Progulus, which featured a mixture of artists from both the progressive rock and progressive metal genres. This change will be an interest to progressive music lovers who are more interested in either the rock or metal side, but not necessarily both. Both stations can be accessed at www.progulus.com.

“We’re in our eleventh year of broadcast,” said Michael Klemmer, the Progulus Radio stationmaster, “and up until now the radio station has always been a mix of progrock and progmetal. Having two streams now means more options for our listeners.”

Listeners who still wish to listen to the mix of both progressive rock and progressive metal are able to stream-hop between the two stations using the station website’s newly designed interface.

About Progulus Radio: Progulus Radio is a duo of internet-based radio stations focusing on progressive metal and progressive rock. Progulus offers its user base an exceptional listening and interactive experience, with both streams playing the best music that prog has to offer on a 24/7 hour basis. Website users are able to make requests, rate songs, and interact with other listeners.
    Last edited by Lamneth; 02-16-2016 at 04:07 PM.

Suspended
    I used to listen to Progulus (among others) on Live365, but haven't accessed that for ages. Does this mean it's no longer part of the Live365 stable?

Hi - thanks for your reply.

Sadly Live365 went out of business.

Progulus is streaming on Radionomy now.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamneth View Post

Sadly Live365 went out of business.

Progulus is streaming on Radionomy now.
    Interesting. Sad, in a way.

There was a time when nearly all of my listening was on my Live365 preset stations, apart from listening to my own music collection. Gradually though I found myself enjoying it less. I'd hear something by Porcupine Tree and think "Yes I love it but I don't need to hear it yet again, and I already own it". then I'd hear something else falling within the ambit of "progressive rock" but of the kind that I don't care for... "not Dream Theater again!" I'd switch stations... finally having cycled through all my presets I'd get sick of doing so and would switch off. Without making a conscious decision to do so, I gradually stopped listening to that form of internet radio altogether.

Yeah, pretty astute observation there. Before they closed doors I think Live365 was about half the size as back in 2007. People have changed their listening habits and the old radio station model is slowly becoming obsolete for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. There will always be a niche for such things, but personalized/on-demand streaming is the mainstream anymore.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamneth View Post
    Yeah, pretty astute observation there. Before they closed doors I think Live365 was about half the size as back in 2007. People have changed their listening habits and the old radio station model is slowly becoming obsolete for pretty much the reasons you mentioned. There will always be a niche for such things, but personalized/on-demand streaming is the mainstream anymore.
    Well, when you say the "old radio station model", I think of free-to-air radio with announcers. I think of stations like Progulus as more like randomised jukeboxes - apart from which I have a problem calliing something "radio" that is only accessed via the Internet and does not broadcast via radio waves at all.

It took me a while to put my finger on what it was about the Live365 format that was making me jaded, and I finally put it down to the lack of any talk at all, making it very impersonal. I know they claimed that the playlists were generated by real people rather than algorithms, but I only have their word for that; the only time I heard speaking voices was in the "station identification". After largely giving up free-to-air listening a while ago, I have found myself drifting back to it - but in a much more selective way. Likely as not what I will be listening to will be a podcast from a community radio station. They present a large variety of music programs, some of which do not interest me at all; the ones I like to listen to do not always broadcast at convenient times for me, so I listen to the podcast later instead. There is something appealing about hearing the announcer discuss what they have just played or are about to play - little snippets of information, perhaps anecdotes of their own experience. I will actually listen to a program like that, rather than use it as background. I don't mind if 30% or 50% of the tracks happen to be ones I don't care for; if I am interested in the genre, I'll listen to the whole program and absorb the bits I like. I have discovered quite a lot of new (to me) music in this way, and I don't think I can say that about any of the Live365 stations I listened to.

Hmm, ya I can see that - Live365 stations that weren't using Live mode were given a pretty small storage space allowance so they were essentially running a 30-40 hour loop of music over and over. Why Progulus is different is that we've always used live mode which opens up the broadcast to 50,000+ tracks of music, and if you look at our website you'll see that we're driven almost 100% by listener requests during the daytime (even though we don't have live DJs).

Love this station. So much music they have. With the ability to request songs. And they keep data on the highest rated songs. It really is a superstation. Also like the tagboard to discuss songs.