Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McCartney *Turned Away* at post-Grammy party!

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Way too many unknowns in this situation to come down on one side or the other.
    Bip bop.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    My question is... why the heck is McCartney trying to get into a party like this? Man,.. John and George wouldn't have done anything remotely like this (running around trying to be relevant). Why not hang out on your own private island and invite over some long time friends? I find this pitiful and embarrassing (but unfortunately deserved). This would be like wanting to hang out and party with your daughter's 6th grade class.
    Well, that's a bit extreme, dontcha think? Why are you so confident that you understand his intentions? Do you know something we don't?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

In retrospect - perhaps the security guard had no idea who he was. I've spoken with many young people in my kid's high-school . . . and university students who are completely out-of-touch when it comes to older artists like this. They know about the "Beatles" but individually - no clue. You'd be surprised . . .

Clubs have to be extremely careful when it comes to capacity control - if there's any incident - the insurance companies will research every possible angle to deny a claim, that's their job (sadly).

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Tyga appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night. He said he had been unaware of McCartney at the door, or anyone else for that matter, at the time. He said he was hired to entertain (sing, play, rap-whatever he does) there, and had nothing to do with a guest list or security or admittance. He seemed a nice enough guy on camera, although he did speak at times in young peoples' slang, some of which was lost on me.

But then, TMZ said he was the host of the party.

Maybe someone who cares a lot can find a video clip of Kimmel's short interview with him.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by ProgMusician View Post
    My question is... why the heck is McCartney trying to get into a party like this?
    I was wondering this very thing...
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

As was I.

Maybe the bouncer was being merciful, keeping him out.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Tyga appeared on Jimmy Kimmel Live last night. He said he had been unaware of McCartney at the door, or anyone else for that matter, at the time. He said he was hired to entertain (sing, play, rap-whatever he does) there, and had nothing to do with a guest list or security or admittance. He seemed a nice enough guy on camera, although he did speak at times in young peoples' slang, some of which was lost on me.

But then, TMZ said he was the host of the party.
    It's common practice in the industry to name the performer as the host of these after party events. It's done on network news and other media outlets. Nothing odd about that.

TMZ did update their story with:

5:15 PM PT -- A rep for Argyle says Paul was not denied at the door, but instead there was a mix up. The rep claims Paul was trying to go to Mark Ronson's Republic Records party (which was at Hyde Lounge) ... and once Paul figured that out he left.
    We're told the club absolutely would have let in Sir McCartney if he wanted access.

Also, reports have claimed the security doorman is from another country and had no idea who The Beatles are or were.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Also, reports have claimed the security doorman is from another country and had no idea who The Beatles are or were.
    [YakovSmirnoff]America...what a country.[/YakovSmirnoff]

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    It's common practice in the industry to name the performer as the host of these after party events. It's done on network news and other media outlets. Nothing odd about that.
    I wouldn't know. Not being famous, I've never been to a celebrity party. I'm so far out of the loop that I never even hear about them until after they are over. Before this McCartney "news" broke, I never heard of either Tyga or Mark Ronson. And yet, both apparently had after-Grammy parties. Live and learn.

For the record, I had heard of most of the performers/award winners at the Grammies. I don't try to be ignorant. But pop culture is uninteresting and most pop music is boring, so it's always possible for some new artists to slip in under my radar. If I learn a few new names each year, that's good enough for a non-follower.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

It's all good, spellbound!

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    [YakovSmirnoff]America...what a country.[/YakovSmirnoff]

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    ...Before this McCartney "news" broke, I never heard of either Tyga or Mark Ronson...
    Any time I see the mention, my brain automatically flashes "But wait...didn't Mick Ronson die years ago?"

Quote Originally Posted by -=RTFR666=- View Post
    Any time I see the mention, my brain automatically flashes "But wait...didn't Mick Ronson die years ago?"
    I was thinking much the same--and at least Mick Ronson was from the right generation to be palling around with Sir Paulie! (And who's the knucklehead from TMZ who called him "Sir McCartney"? People ain't got no etiquette.)

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Great.

Safety regulations are there for a reason. People die in fires, building collapses, etc. Your Sir Paul could be one of them.

You might say that one extra person won't make a difference, but there has to be a limit set. If one extra person is OK, why not two? Three? Ten? A hundred? Also, at what point does someone become "special" enough so that rules can be waived? I don't buy this "Don't you know who I am?" line.

I'm not sure whether safety regulations was the reason what Sir Paul was excluded, but if they were, I am pretty certain Paul himself would not be the one throwing a hissy fit. Rather, it would be all those self-righteous fans saying "How dare you deny my idol entry to the establishment?".

The security guy was just doing his job. Leave him alone.
    What? What ever happened to good unadulterated hero worship? F*** safety!
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Look, this Macca fella isn't cool to today's youngz. He's just some wornout old undercoat with saggy eyes and some ganja gardens in his backyard. And don't compare him to importants of today; that'll be like, like comparing some "important" of yore, say, Zappa, to a current ProGGod like Steve Nilsen.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Look, this Macca fella isn't cool to today's youngz. He's just some wornout old undercoat with saggy eyes and some ganja gardens in his backyard. And don't compare him to importants of today; that'll be like, like comparing some "important" of yore, say, Zappa, to a current ProGGod like Steve Nilsen.
    Who? Ricky Nelson? "I went to a ganja party."

Quote Originally Posted by StevegSr View Post
    Who? Ricky Nelson?
    Yez, both The Who and Admiral Nelson went straight in, while Macc was shown the badass hiphop-finger. Mike Portnoy was accepted a bit afterwards wearing a Wesley Snipes mask.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Sometimes this place needs a "like" button [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    Sometimes this place needs a "like" button [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by WHORG View Post
    In retrospect - perhaps the security guard had no idea who he was. I've spoken with many young people in my kid's high-school . . . and university students who are completely out-of-touch when it comes to older artists like this. They know about the "Beatles" but individually - no clue. You'd be surprised . . .

Clubs have to be extremely careful when it comes to capacity control - if there's any incident - the insurance companies will research every possible angle to deny a claim, that's their job (sadly).
    There was a place here in Cleveland back in the early 90's that got shut down for overcrowding. I believe I read the Fire Marshall shut the place down the night Buddy Guy was supposed to play. Course, the place probably would have been shut down anyway, given that entire area got bulldozed to make way for Gund Arena and Jacob's Field (or whatever those places are called this month).

And I imagine, these days, nobody wants something like the Rhode Island debacle to happen on their watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, because The Beatles, Beatlemania, and the impact they had was strictly and uniquely a Stateside phenomenon. In the rest of the world, The Beatles remain about as well known as the Michael Stanley Band, right?

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, because The Beatles, Beatlemania, and the impact they had was strictly and uniquely a Stateside phenomenon. In the rest of the world, The Beatles remain about as well known as the Michael Stanley Band, right?
    Ridiculous. The Stanely Band were considered the Anti Beatles through out the world...oh..that was the Stones? Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If the doorman's origins are that of a poverty-stricken town in a far away country, would you still throw that comment around?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Who is Tyga? Is he somehow related to Tigers?