Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snarky Puppy win at the Grammy Awards

Snarky Puppy win at the Grammy Awards

Not that it means a lot for me or the majority of the fine folks roaming around these corners of the Internet, but Snarky Puppy won the Best Contemporary Music Album award for "Sylva".
    Last edited by Zalmoxe; 02-16-2016 at 08:43 AM.

well deserved
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

These guys definitely earned the recognition.

Holy Mackerel Andy!

They won it together with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra. for the orchestra it was their fifth Grammy.

More popular coverage coming, I bet.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

And for those here who haven't heard / seen the album Sylva, this is why they won it.

Shortly after the album was released (which was recorded during the Easter weekend of 2014 here in the Netherlands) in 2015 I saw them in concert together and it was the best gig of 2015 bar maybe the two Big Big Train gigs I attended.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    They won it together with the Dutch Metropole Orchestra. for the orchestra it was their fifth Grammy.
    Snarky Puppy are not at their first Grammy award either. In 2014 they won the "Best R&B Performance" category for their song called "Something" with Lalah Hathaway off their album "Family Dinner, Volume One".

Speaking of which, "Family Dinner, Volume Two" was released a few weeks ago, for folks who are tracking the works of this amazing band.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    And for those here who haven't heard / seen the album Sylva, this is why they won it.

Shortly after the album was released (which was recorded during the Easter weekend of 2014 here in the Netherlands) in 2015 I saw them in concert together and it was the best gig of 2015 bar maybe the two Big Big Train gigs I attended.
    That piano solo at the end of the track is just magnificent. Bill Laurence at his most majestic self. Lovely.

These cats are the real deal, and it's great to see them getting the recognition. My copy of FD Vol. 2 should be arriving today. There's also a new cd of original SP music in the pipelines due for release in April or May, I believe.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Holy shit, nice! Congrats to them, well deserved! Glad to know there is life out there!!!

Awesome! The Grammys are coming to their senses and pigs are starting to fly.

Barely...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Keep dreaming - it's a free world. You probably missed the garbage that is celebrated and rewarded in pompous fashion nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    at least for one night... lol

Uhhh... I knew nothing about these guys before opening this thread, but that was AMAZING! Wow, I'm an insta-fan.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

^ Plenty of high quality samples on YouTube. Both "We Like It Here" and "Sylva" (arguably their two best releases) are posted by the band in their entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    These cats are the real deal, and it's great to see them getting the recognition. My copy of FD Vol. 2 should be arriving today. There's also a new cd of original SP music in the pipelines due for release in April or May, I believe.
    Plus ... Michael League (bandleader / bass-player / man with the funny faces) is also producing a new David Crosby solo-album on which a bunch of the SP musicians are playing .... Crosby's latest album Croz was already stellar, so if Crosby's songwriting is on the same level we are in for a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by ProgArtist View Post
    Uhhh... I knew nothing about these guys before opening this thread, but that was AMAZING! Wow, I'm an insta-fan.
    Oh man, look up the video for the track Lingus by Snarky Puppy ... aah heck, here it is and do wait for the second half for something truly stunning:

At my peak I could dream of playing like that but could never do it. Just awesome.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

That synth solo in Lingus is indeed one for the ages. There's a FB post of a bassist who transcribed it and plays along with it that is just beyond insane.
    Watching the audience and the other musicians react to his playing is a treat.

One of the best shows of the last 5 years, IMO--when I saw them at the SF Jazz Center. Would see them again in a heartbeat.

Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Oh man, look up the video for the track Lingus by Snarky Puppy ... aah heck, here it is and do wait for the second half for something truly stunning:

This is beyond my comprehension. That drummer and synth player are astounding! Not to mention the brass players and everyone else. Wow. Wow.

Wow.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    That synth solo in Lingus is indeed one for the ages. There's a FB post of a bassist who transcribed it and plays along with it that is just beyond insane.
    How about singing / scatting the solo?