Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: David Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga at the grammy's 02152016

David Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga at the grammy's 02152016

Coming off her appearance at the super bowl doing the national athem GAGA appears to be on a roll and tonights tribute to Bowie on the Grammy's was a nice touch along with the Lionel Ritchie and the Eagles Glen Frey tributes, EWF as well

It would have been nice if they had bowies last touring group from 2004 to back her up but that would have been too much to expect.

Color me old and fogey, but this Gaga person is all posing and costume. She doesn't sing very well and doesn't seem to have any original ideas.

You kids get off my lawn.

Gaga was OK .

Should have gone on longer
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

I had high hopes for this but ultimately I thought is was "just alright". I figured Gaga was the right gal to do Bowie justice but her performance left a lot to be desired.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Color me old and fogey, but this Gaga person is all posing and costume. She doesn't sing very well and doesn't seem to have any original ideas.

I feel the same way myself. She's all image and no content. I don't pay her much attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It looked like a cartoon and way too many songs packed into this

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought she did a good job.

I really liked the song that she did a few years ago with Clarence Clemons before he passed away. I give credit where credit is due.

This didn't work for me but I really like the duets she does with Tony Bennett
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I thought the tribute was great, could have been longer.

I'm the 2nd oldest & "fogeyist" person here, and I couldn't disagree more. I would agree that when she hit the scene, she and her "people" initially had a game plan of meat dresses etc to get her noticed. It would be ridiculous to say that it didn't work. I think she's managed to transcend all that shit to a great extent now.

AFAIC, she could always sing, and Tony Bennett wouldn't have gone near a duet album with her if she couldn't. She has a shitload of original ideas, but I would agree that most of them are of the non-musical variety.

IMHO, by the way, she's technically so much better than M. Ciccone (in her prime!) that it's laughable.

I'll personally never spend a nickel on her music, but over the last 2 years since I started hearing her more & more, I've come to realize that she's a hell of a lot more than just marketing, and does have real talent.

YM obviously Vs.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I seem to vaguely recall a young singer long ago in a galaxy far far away deciding that the use of costumes as well as a shitload of posing & theatrics just might get his band noticed more.

Foxhead was right then, & Gaga, who will never be the talent that Foxhead was/is, nevertheless, isn't any different.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Here's the Gaga performance. Damn, she got Nile Rodgers to play guitar on this. Sweet!

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Is Duncan Jones impressed or not?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-shade-7378742

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I had high hopes for this but ultimately I thought is was "just alright". I figured Gaga was the right gal to do Bowie justice but her performance left a lot to be desired.
    I agree. It had it's moments and was enjoyable to an extent but her voice just wasn't right for his stuff imo. I think more rehearsing would have helped a little bit.

i guess i've officially entered into the old fart's club when i don't know who any of the people are or remotely give a shit about the grammy's.

I was listening to radio this morining when the DJ mentioned the Gaga/Bowie tribute and said something to the effect of why didn't she just sit at a piano and sing/play a version of Life On Mars instead of the dumb big production mess that it was - could have been a more moving tribute.

Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    ...instead of the dumb big production mess that it was - could have been a more moving tribute.
    It was not a "tribute" -- it had nothing to do with honoring David Bowie.

It was all about "look at me, look at my costumes, listen to me butcher a dead guy's songs."

…or it was showing the different aspects of Bowie's music in the allotted time.

It was not a "tribute" -- it had nothing to do with honoring David Bowie.

It was all about "look at me, look at my costumes, listen to me butcher a dead guy's songs."
    You watched it?

I *saw* it. I wasn't actively *watching* it...

I *saw* it. I wasn't actively *watching* it...
    Your a wormy one

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Here's the Gaga performance. Damn, she got Nile Rodgers to play guitar on this. Sweet!

Thanks for posting that. Now I could see the parts I missed last night. I think she performed a good tribute. And it was a tribute, no one forced her to do that. She chose to honor a man she admired. Her costumes were Bowie-themed, and not the outrageous things she wears at her own concerts. And you can't expect her to sing exactly like Bowie did. No one can do that. She was entertaining. And it was cool to see Nile Rodgers again. I watched a Bowie documentary on PBS a few nights ago and saw him in that, too.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Bowie and BB King were around for decades. The BB King tribute featured one song while the Bowie tried to cover a lot more territory. The King seemed more authentic and the Bowie seemed more contrived. For me, some of the Bowie tribute hit, some missed, and most was just ok, and I think that had to do with trying to cram too many songs into it. I liked the orange wig and Nile Rogers being a part of it. I don't know how much of the whole performance was Gaga and how much was the Grammy production team input. I don't listen to Gaga, but I did hear Jeff Beck cover her in concert
    I remember tomorrow

Here's what I wrote on the Grammy thread.

Sorry but this Gaga/Nile Rodgers 'tribute' is a gaudy production number, Bowie done as Stars On 45...not sure how appropriate it was as a tribute. I've been a Bowie fan most of my life, for what it's worth. I felt what Stevie Wonder and that vocal group (Pentatonic?) did for Maurice White was far more fitting.

I think her heart was in the right place, and I can appreciate her talent (although I don't care much for her voice), but this was a terrible arrangement, trying to cram too many bits in with no transitions. Too herky-jerky. Like punching through radio stations (station to station?) or listening to a TV ad for K-Tel's 20 Golden Bowie Memories.