Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: David Bowie tribute by Lady Gaga at the grammy's 02152016

My wife recorded the Hammy's and I used the "FF" button to see the Bowie Tribute.

I would say it was NOT meant for hard-core Bowie fans (who like me, probably saw it as a sad joke) but was actually targeted the brain-deads that actually like and support the bands honored on the Hammy's in a feeble attempt to get them to expand out of their musical doldrums and listen to some good music for a ch-ch-ch-change...!

She doesn't give a shit about Bowie...sure she has a great voice but so does every contestant on American Idol. She keeps herself relevant by using shock and her original music is horrible. Reminds me of how Sheryl Crow keeps her career going by showing up at EVERY artist retrospective show or tribute concert...

So.....you're not a fan?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Planet P View Post
    She doesn't give a shit about Bowie...sure she has a great voice but so does every contestant on American Idol. She keeps herself relevant by using shock and her original music is horrible. Reminds me of how Sheryl Crow keeps her career going by showing up at EVERY artist retrospective show or tribute concert...
    Won't derail this thread by bringing up a PE-beloved genius whose life may very well have been shortened by Ms. fucking Crow.

Imho, however, Gaga on a bad day is miles ahead of Crow on a good day.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I would almost prefer these tributes had just been some kind of montage to the very last song on his last album- 'I Can't Give Everything Away'. Even before the awful news, this song struck me as the perfect epitaph to his enigmatic brilliance- it's a gorgeous melody too. Remind people of the man himself, rather than the egos of others.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer
    Imho, however, Gaga on a bad day is miles ahead of Crow on a good day.
    I share that opinion, Geez. I don't collect CDs by either artist, but I never cared for Crow's voice, whereas Gaga can sing quite well. And whether you like Gaga's glitzy shows or not, you are unlikely to fall asleep, as you might watching Crow stand there and sing.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Sheryl Crow always struck me as a slick, Adult Contemporary-friendly version of roots rock...not my thing, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Won't derail this thread by bringing up a PE-beloved genius whose life may very well have been shortened by Ms. fucking Crow.
    Takes two to tango.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Takes two to tango.

To clarify, I'm not, by inference, canonizing the other "tangoer" & dismissing his well-known idiosyncratic behavior for a second. I thought that "may very well have been" was clear enough to impart only speculation on my part. If not, then pardon the ambiguity.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

It's funny. I've read and heard enough to "exonerate" Crow's role in Kevin Gilbert's downfall, but I do still harbor resentment towards her. Never really cared for most of her music, but I can't help but think of KG whenever I hear her name or songs.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I bet she likes prog too.
    I was imagining how she would react to Peter Gabriel circa '73-'74. Probably too boring. 😉
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.