Thread: BEWARE! Amazon's Rip-It is a RIP OFF!!!

BEWARE! Amazon's Rip-It is a RIP OFF!!!

Amazon is offering to put 250 of your songs from YOUR HARD DRIVE on your The Cloud account. How convenient! Why are they being so nice?
    It's all in the way the billing for The Cloud is set up. Up to 250 songs is free. They want you to store just one more song so they can start charging you for the next highest storage tier.
    The big problem is, they are doing this automatically when you purchase tracks! No setting or defaults, just a "we're going to give you this free service; aren't we nice?"
    If I can not turn this feature off, I will be forced to get my music elsewhere. I'll close my The Cloud Account before I have to start paying monthly fees.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You should put 250 copies of a one-track, 80 minute CD (Klaus Schulze has some of these) on The Cloud. that'll learn em.

Take another look.

I started a thread on the new auto-rip but the tracks you have purchased from Amazon either in CD or MP3 format don't count. So I've got a freaking LOT of music on mine but it still say I can upload 250 songs from my hard drive. I don't want to load any of my music onto the cloud. But to have access to everything we have purchased from Amazon is pretty cool (except my wife's stuff is mixed in there and there are horrors there you really don't want to know about).
    Last edited by Jerjo; 01-10-2013 at 10:23 PM.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    I'm not into "ripped Tracks" or the cloud or whatever but one thing I do know...Amazon is an awesome place to buy from (and sell on as well which I do too). The phrase "Amazon Rip off" doesn't exist.

I only listen to cds. Should I be contacting Amazon NOW to tell them if they EVER charge me ANYTHING for Cloud they'll lose me as a customer. I take it there's no opt-out info anywhere?

OR....since I haven't done anything to download or even played anything at all yet (and I haven't), and now that you found this out I sure as f**k won't, am I then in the clear and not subject to their clever hot poker in the ass?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I rip my own CDs and use Google Music, if I need a "cloud" service.

Twenty thousand songs uploaded for free, they don't care about length, and I can delete/add whatever and whenever I want.

I have apps on my phone and tablet, so I can listen anywhere there's a WiFi connection.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm wary of any automated process running on my machine that I don't personally research and subsequently OK; not saying that I am some sort of guru or expert or even know all the processes that are running on my machine (because there are a lot and many that are very necessary), but that I'm wary of them.

And I'm especially wary of Amazon's (or anyone's) cloud services. What you don't know can and will be used to nickel and dime you to death.
    Hired on to work for Mr. Bill Cox, a-fixin' lawn mowers and what-not, since 1964.

"Arguing with an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon. It'll just knock over all the pieces, shit on the board, and strut about like it's won anyway." Anonymous

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I rip my own CDs and use Google Music, if I need a "cloud" service.
    I have no idea why Google doesn't advertise this more. It's really a good service.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

So better listen to physical.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I listen mostly to physical media or the live shows on my hard drive. But this cloud will certainly come into play when I'm out of town.

NP: Rory Gallagher - Calling Card (on CD)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My and my son's music libraries are stored on a 1T external hard drive. And all my stuff is on physical CDs & CDRs. I burn every digital album I buy. I'm not over the hill, I'm boring a tunnel through it

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I only listen to cds.
    I thought I was the last one!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I thought I was the last one!
    nope and you are hardly the last one. I chuckle because every few weeks there is some big thread where someone is complaining about some aspect of digital media. Seems like digital media just causes more stress for people. I'll stick to physical.

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    I'm not over the hill, I'm boring
    That's okay, we all get that way.

One of the little known facts about The Cloud is HOW they charge you for storage space. If you delete tracks from The Cloud, they go into a "trash bin" that is STILL considered part of your storage space (because it can be restored to the library area just like Windows does). You must also delete tracks from your trash bin in order to remove them from The Cloud "storage". In other words, tracks in your trash bin still count.

Okay, this is pretty ridiculous. Today I received an email with the following subject: "Free MP3 Version of CD You Bought from Amazon in 2005‏".

I think I placed my first Amazon order in 1998; wonder how long it will take them to track that one down.

From Amazon:

"Cloud Player Premium provides storage for 250,000 imported songs. Cloud Player Free provides storage for 250 imported songs.
    Your Amazon MP3 purchases do not count against these limits."

I believe that includes "Auto-rip MP3s". What's the fuss?
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    What's the fuss?
    The fuss is caused by lack of reading comprehension and the desire to rage against the imaginary machine on an internet message forum.

Speaking of Amazon rip-offs, their new international shipping fee is $14.29 per CD (with no "multi-item" discount).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The fuss is if you want to opt out of the option and just buy the damn cd. Where is the no thanks button? That's right there isn't one
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    The fuss is if you want to opt out of the option and just buy the damn cd. Where is the no thanks button? That's right there isn't one
    Don't use the Cloud Player? I get your point however, no opt-out.

I guess I don't remember signing up for it, but imagine I did. At any rate, I can count on one hand the amount of times I've actually used it.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I bought some CDs for my brother several years ago. I just downloaded them into my PC from the new Cloud Player. Sweeeeeeet!

I've been buying from Amazon since 1995 but the majority of my purchases are used and they don't count for Cloud Player.

Banned
    i dont' know what the fuck a cloud player is. Apparently lots of my CD purchases are available on it, whatever that means. Either way, I don't give a crap and it doesn't bother me either. I'm not getting "ripped off" in any way so cares.