Thread: FEATURED CD - Hands : Twenty Five Winters

FEATURED CD - Hands : Twenty Five Winters

Per DPRP:
    Hands, the seminal progressive rock band from Texas are back, twenty five winters (years) after their first official album was released. In fact I was planning a Forgotten Sons article of this band whose material has been released in its entirety by Shroom Productions. This reunion album has been in the making these last few years with the collaboration of Rex Bozarth (bass, vocals), Michael Clay (piano, synthesizers, guitars), Martin McCall (drums), Mark Menikos (violin, vocals) and Ernie Myers (vocals, guitars).

Though so many years have passed since this group last graced the stage, the band still play a very similar style to what they used to churn out in the seventies. Though there are some definitive classical progressive influences, the band still betrays the fact that they are a Texas band, and possibly that is the main distinguishing factor that Hands possess. The origins of this band lies in groups such as Aurora, Ibis and Prism, whose music had a definitive jazz-fusion flavour. However with Hands the band seem to have moved towards a more rock orientated direction with a number of diverse influences ranging from Gentle Giant to the more folk sounding Strawbs.

A deciding factor in the stamping of their own individual identity is the sound of Mark Menikos' violin which enables the creation of a sound unique to only a distinctive number of progressive rock bands. The opening Knock/Enter as well as Walls possess a very American country rock sound, which highlights the Texas birthmark, though one must not be misled by this statement as the band have such a staggering of features that one just cannot simply categorise them. The structuring of the vocals as well as the shifts in time signature make the band sound like a folkier version of groups such as King Crimson, Gentle Giant and Anekdoten.

Green Room is the first of three instrumental tracks on the album and is the first track that has a definite rock orientation. The change is rather radical as the band adopts an approach that could be compared more to Porcupine Tree in atmosphere, than most other bands that Hands have been previously compared to. The short I Laughed Aloud and Zambierach complete the trio of instrumentals. Whereas I Laughed Aloud is a simple duet between piano and violin, Zambierach brings out the jazz-fusion element that remains at the root of the band's musical influences. Some could mention groups like Brand X as possible references, especially due to the great bass work that this track has.

Dance Of Light And Darkness reintroduces that Strawbs folk element into the music with structuring on a par with the legendary Yes, yet the highlight of the album is surely the album's epic track, Leaving, which in itself is subdivided into four parts. The track opens with a moving and musical styled Song Of Summer to then move into the acoustic Vigil For One which reminds me of the psychedelic folk musicians from the sixties such as Al Stewart (in his early days) and Fairport Convention. The Traveler's Lament is a very stark contrast to the melancholy of Vigil For One with some impressive powerful guitar work, and some obvious Frippian/King Crimson influences. The track comes to a close with Above And Below which sees the music return to a similar style with which Leaving had started off initially.

Having heard the previous works of Hands, I must admit to having been surprised at what this album offered in terms of style. It seems that with the passing of time the band has mellowed out slightly, allowing their music to become much more accessible and dare I say it, commercial. Notwithstanding all this, the band still manage to come up with a most excellent album that should prove popular to most fans of progressive rock music. I just hope that not too many winters have to pass before the next Hands album!

Conclusion: 8 out of 10.

Nigel Camilleri
    http://www.dprp.net/reviews/0208.htm#hands

Regards,

Duncan

Really liked this one a lot.

I bought this one when it was released & then purchased the back catalogue & peripheral albums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    An excellent U.S. symph-rock album indeed.

I really liked it back then, but haven't heared for Ages.

Good violin on this one, will Play it again soon....

Wow, I just listened to this over the weekend! Great stuff by an excellent band (although one could at times suspect the "band" of being more or less synonymous with Ernie Myers), and even more impressive when noting how they reappeared with a vengeance after almost three decades as a practically unknown venture.

I still think that 1996 release (Hands) of vintage material contains some of the best on offer of this kind of progressive rock by a 70s US group. But their recent album (Caviar Bobsled) proves that SOME artists indeed have it in them to create vital and inspired music at the very same level as their younger selves.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

^^
    Agree!

Have it sealed ready for the first spin ... .!!
    Last edited by TCC; 02-15-2016 at 01:28 PM.

One of my favorites! Need to break it out again. It got many spins many moons ago.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Sounds good. They were good at Progday too back when I saw them there.

Also, I just added them on the wikipedia prog band list page.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Sounds good. They were good at Progday too back when I saw them there.

Also, I just added them on the wikipedia prog band list page.
    I had never heard of these guys until Michael Bennett turned me on to them. I like all of their albums, but I think this one may actually be their best.

One of the most criminally underrated, nay unknown albums of all time. Truly top-quality stuff, and it's a real shame they aren't better known even in the progressive community.

Fission Trip was a Hands offshoot too, iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They've been on my to-buy list for a long time. I've really enjoyed the samples I've heard, so I'll definitely be picking something up.
    ProgEars and other prog posters & prints: http://www.michaelphipps.net
    .*AWAKEN*. gentle
    MASS -touch-

[QUOTE=Scrotum Scissor;523949]Wow, I just listened to this over the weekend! Great stuff by an excellent band (although one could at times suspect the "band" of being more or less synonymous with Ernie Myers),

That is far from true, as this album also featured original keyboardist Michael Clay, who I suspect wrote quite a bit more of the music than Ernie. They also released an album after this (also featuring Clay and Myers) called Strangelet, which is also quite good. Clay left the band shortly after this.

I'm surprised I stumbled on to this thread.
    During the mid-70s I met Ernie Myers at music school; we took all our theory and ear-training classes together.
    At that time, he was in the band, PRISM.................which shortly thereafter became HANDS.
    I still have a reel-to-reel tape he gave to me of the demos that would become the first album, also called hands.
    I also attended some of their rehearsals and I remember one night they played through King Crimson's THE GREAT DECEIVER.
    I recall GENTLE GIANT came to Dallas (I think 1977) and HANDS got the opening gig.
    Good memories....................

[QUOTE=veteranof1000psychicwars;531381]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    That is far from true, as this album also featured original keyboardist Michael Clay, who I suspect wrote quite a bit more of the music than Ernie. They also released an album after this (also featuring Clay and Myers) called Strangelet, which is also quite good. Clay left the band shortly after this.
    On their recent album, Caviar Bobsled, Myers has sole writing credits for about 3/4 of the material. He was also their most consistant contributor (guitars and vocals) on their vintage recordings, IIRC. Still I didn't imply that he in any way was the only important member of the band; it's just that today he pretty much appears to be their main motor, so to speak.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Paraphrasing a line from the movie The American President ... I think we should take Ernie out back and kick the shit out of him!
    BTW - I am Ernie Myers.
    I'd just like to say thanks to you all for remembering Twenty Five Winters in the first place.
    Secondly -- to set the record straight for those of you who care:

Knock/Enter (Myers) with lots of arranging help from Michael
    Walls (Myers) synth line written by Michael
    Green Room (pt 1 & 2) (pt 1 - Myers/ pt 2- Clay)
    Dance Of Light And Darkness (Myers) vivisection of the original arrangement by: Clay & Bob Dixon
    I Laughed Aloud (Clay)
    Zombieroch (pt 3) (Clay)
    Leaving
    I. Song Of Summer
    II. Vigil For One
    III. The Traveler's Lament
    IV. Above And Below

Michael wrote all of Leaving except the vocal melodies which I wrote.

So there you have it.
    Note: In the early days of the band I did have the longest hair if that counts for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by fingertrick View Post
    BTW - I am Ernie Myers.
    I'd just like to say thanks to you all for remembering Twenty Five Winters in the first place.
    Hey Ernie......................I sent you a PM................check it out.

I pulled this disc out of the "in" pile last night, and gave it a first listen inspired by this thread. It's outstanding. I'll join the chorus and recommend it highly.