Thread: Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre oddballs.

Alvin Lee and Mylon LeFevre oddballs.

I was not aware of this 1973 album until today when I found it at the goodwill and was pretty thrilled to pay 1.00 for it... Alvin lee from Ten years After, and old time Religion rockers son Mylon Lefevre. Thought it was pretty cool, and then I found out who the rest of the band is...

Steve Winwood and Tim Hinckley ....pianos, keys.
    Alvin Lee, Mylon, and George Harrison on Guitar
    Boz Burrell and Ron Wood on Bass
    Mick Fleetwood, Jim Capaldi, Ian Wallace, and Reebop Kwaku bah handle all the drums.

Mike Patto, Bob Black. Fiddles and steel guitars.

Wow what a lineup! ... Listened to it and its pretty awesome.

George harrisons song "So Sad" is executed in a laid back country style, very nice... And George goes by, Hari Georgeson. image.jpg

So I find lots of oddball LPs out there, and when I read the roster I am often surprised by who is contributing on them.
    You guys have an LP or two like this that is little known? Post it!
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-13-2016 at 09:18 PM.
    Still alive and well...

I found a copy of that too but just couldnt get into it. I was surprised cause I was actually a big fan of Mylon and Broken Heart in the 80's. great distinctive voice, and definetely one of the better CCM groups of the 80s.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I heard this album back in '73. Alvin Lee (RIP) and George Harrison (RIP) were friends and neighbors of each other. Good album. Glad you found it.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by YESHEAD777 View Post
    I found a copy of that too but just couldnt get into it. I was surprised cause I was actually a big fan of Mylon and Broken Heart in the 80's. great distinctive voice, and definetely one of the better CCM groups of the 80s.
    I like it, has a folky country feel and then Alvin does a lot of his signature lead playing.... George Harrison plays slide and sings background on his "So Sad" only. Ian Wallace and Boz both gone now too (RIP)...from KC. Wonder how all these guys hooked up?
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I heard this album back in '73. Alvin Lee (RIP) and George Harrison (RIP) were friends and neighbors of each other. Good album. Glad you found it.
    Aahhh, thanks for info. Its in great shape too. Keeper.
    Still alive and well...

I also had this album for a while and could never get into it either (I mustsay the country thing did disgust me)... I much prefered the Alvin Lee & Friends double album In Flight, but let's face it, though I saw Alin five or six times solo, I could never find a a solo album of his that I wanted to keep in my shelves.

Amazingly enough, AL never managed to do anything remotely interesting on record (not even the Ten Years Later thing) after TYA broke up. TYA was my fave band for a while, and I used to revere even average albums like Watt and Shhhh!!!.

Cricklewood, Space and RNR Music are still up there in my pantheon
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

What many don't know about Mylon is the fact that he was very popular overseas. He sold tons of albums everywhere BUT the US. I believe that many folks thought he was the next Elvis Presley. The funny thing is, Elvis recorded a Gospel song he wrote when he was 12. Mylon made a lot of money and then blew it on cocaine. He was a very good singer, but not what many consider a great singer.
    He sang the chorus on Kerry Livgren's "Whiskey Seed". The funny thing is, Kerry did a better job on the verses, and even Mylon agreed Kerry's demo vocals were better suited to the song than what he was able to sing.

Of course, Kerry's solo album, Seeds of Change, is somewhat of an oddity. He caught a lot of flack from the Christian community for having Ronnie James Dio (then in Black Sabbath) sing on this album. The fact is, Kerry had heard Ronnie sing when he was the lead singer for Elf. Back then, RJD was someone Kerry had decided he wanted to record with.

I found a copy of that too but just couldnt get into it. I was surprised cause I was actually a big fan of Mylon and Broken Heart in the 80's.
    I saw Mylon in 1971 as the opening act for the Who on the Who's Next tour. Never heard much of anything from him since.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I read once that on a later album Alvin did a version of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" with Harrison guesting.

I saw Mylon live in the early 80s. One of the best Christian shows I've seen, second only to Phil Keaggy.

Suspended
    I never heard of Mylon LeFevre, except for seeing his name on this album beside Alvin Lee. I don't think he could have been known in Australia.

His Dad (cant remember his first name) was big into Christian music making. I think the Lafevre family put out a lot of christian music in the 60s through 70s. Funny these songs on this album with A.L. say published by "Lucifer music".
    Still alive and well...