Thread: Rest in peace, François Émond, founding member of Miriodor

Rest in peace, François Émond, founding member of Miriodor

Hey folks,

Pascal Globensky, who is not a member of PE, has asked me to please post this for him and I am.

thanks!

--------------

On February 10th, 2016, my old friend (and co-founder of Miriodor in 1980) François Émond passed away. He wasn't old at all, a year or two past his 50s. Way too young to die, everyone will agree.

We had been making music together since 1978, recording pieces on two cassettes, first one titled «Amalgame», and the second one, titled «Miriodor», announcing the birth of the band, which still exists 36 years later.

François was most probably the sweetest person I had the pleasure to befriend. He had a very high level of sensitivity, a great sense of humour and a wide array of talents, especially in music but also in other spheres of creation; he was surely one of a kind.

His truly original personality very much stamped what would be required in the band later on, in terms of authenticity, purity and attitude towards music. The lyrical aspect of Miriodor's music, so very important in our style, comes directly from him. He traced the way for us, no doubt about that. And, when he left the band, we were so very lucky that the torch could be passed to other members, namely Sabin Hudon for about 15 years and then to Bernard Falaise, up to the present day.

He had a very poetic approach of life, which impressed me a lot, and that I tried to import in my own life. I remember us walking the streets of our very suburban neighbourhood and upon looking at a high-rise building being built, him saying: ‘another piece of blue-less-sky’.

Even though François left Miriodor in 1988, one thing for certain is that I owe him tons for being there when I got the very, very bold ambition of taking the guitar off my brother and getting into composing music, even if not as a main occupation but rather as a monstrously time-consuming hobby. François would improvise delightfully over my ideas on flute, violin, sax, clarinet, piano, his notes flying all around and spiraling in the air like swallows, making my head swirl, while I was painstakingly trying to keep on with my clumsy arpeggios on guitar or while hammering chords in a not so subtle way.

He had a wonderful ear and he was the one who had to tune my 12-string guitar, mind you! Because of his great talent and musical gift, he ‘made me believe’ - I can not stress that enough- that what I was doing was on the right track to eventually (with the support of precious acolytes) be of interest one day, which was really not the case at the time.

Living in two different cities for the last 25 years, we were much less in contact. But François was a great, great friend at a very important stage of my life, the end of my teens and beginning of adulthood. We had tons of fun together, reinvented a better world (our motto at the time was ‘you live, you create’), played soccer, biked, went out camping together with friends (I remember one occasion where he brought a guitar and played something so wonderful, with notes sparkling in the air along with the campfire that I could only ask myself, "How might I come up with something as beautiful and as natural as that one moment??"). We also shared flats along with other friends when we moved from Quebec City to Montreal and were supportive of one another in harsh times. I owe him much more than words can repay. And it’s damn tough!

A few times, during the last 5 years, we emailed each other about the possibility of exchanging music files, so that we could work again at distance. But that regretfully never materialized.

I extend my deepest sympathies to his mother and sister Marie-Dominique in these very difficult times.

----------
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Sad news, i had to pleasure to see this band live and listening to their music through those years. One of the most innovative bands in Quebec. R.I.P. François
    Last edited by jarmsuh; 02-13-2016 at 11:49 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sad news, RIP
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Very sad, and nice that Pascal wanted this to be posted here. RIP François.

Wow. Very very sorry to hear this.

RIP François

Thanks for Miriodor
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Playing my Rencontres vinyl. Still got the plastic wrap on it from 1986.

Sorry to hear about his passing.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Very sad to hear, my sincere condolences.

Bill

R.I.P.!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Sorry to hear this. RIP. I'm heading off to spin Rencontres.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

very sorry to hear.

I recall at Nearfest in 2002, hanging out with Miriodor at an Indian Restaurant and doing sort of a taped conversation/interview for my radio show. I imagine he may have been there.

Rest in Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    very sorry to hear.

I recall at Nearfest in 2002, hanging out with Miriodor at an Indian Restaurant and doing sort of a taped conversation/interview for my radio show. I imagine he may have been there.

Rest in Peace.
    He had left the band by 1988, I believe. But still important in their earliest days.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"You run a great label, but sometimes you go out of your way to be a jerk." - Jed Levin

"The older I get, the more I realize that cynicism is just realism spelled wrong."

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.