Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Yes: `Keys To Ascension' studio tracks. Are they well regarded or under-rated ?

As usual with Yes threads, I'm distinctly in the minority for disagreeing with almost every single posting so far :-)

There was a lengthy discussion about this on the old forum just a few months ago. Anyhow, my take on it is that Yes did not fade away into artistic nothingness after GFTO/Tormato/Drama (take your pick), and that the best Rabin era stuff remains as fresh and vital to my ears as anything half-decent the band has done since the 70s - moreover, they've done some stuff since Rabin left that ranks amongst the worst stuff they've ever recorded. Yes has always been hit and miss, throughout it's entire history, even in the 70s!

The studio tracks from the two KTA albums have lots of good moments; the only one I really dislike is "Be the one", which does nothing for me (I find it's main melodic theme quite clumsy and annoying - my apologies to those who disagree!). The two epics are almost as good as anything Yes have done since (it all depends on how much you rate The Ladder and Fly From Here; I like most of the former but only some of the latter).

The best of the shorter KTA studio tracks are "Children of Light" (mainly for its fabulous closing section; what goes before is pretty ordinary, imho), "Footprints" and "Bring me to the power" (perhaps the best of the shorter ones).

Is it worth owning? Absolutely.
    Is it any good? Yep, in parts.
    Did the band and its management typically muck up the whole business, and should the KTA2 tracks have been treated as a proper album? Undoubtedly.
    Are "That, That Is" and "Mind Drive" the best music Yes made since the 70s? No, that idea is comical to me - but as a fan of Yes in almost all its incarnations, I've had a fair bit of pleasure from hearing the KTA studio tracks, and they were an intriguing tentative move back towards a classic Prog style that ultimately didn't come about.

For me, the last hurrah of the so-called 'classic' line-up is Live at Montreux.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    True Chad but,the overlong middle section that sounds like it is outakes from The Remembering comes nowhere near what Jimmy Page,Chris Squire and Alan White were up to imho. I think Mind Drive could be edited and it would be more cohesive. I still love it. Keystudio is one of my favorite Yes cds. Rick's biggest objection to the 1 and 2 releases of Keys To Ascension was having the live stuff on there and Keystudio was the solution. But,by the time that came out,Rick was long gone until 2003.
    I don't disagree. But I'm still allowed to like it.
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I hear some interesting ideas there but I feel they are on the level of a demo run-through and incomplete. The arrangements could be better and some of the filler could easily be cut but what I think bothers me most about them is that the melodies are rather unmemorable. I admit that I'm a melody-whore -- I love rich, lush melodies that I can remember bits and pieces of after one listen. I find none of the KTA studio tracks at that level at all. Had they spent more time fleshing them out, there might have been something good there.
    Couldn't agree more. When I said I was surprised at how much better these songs sounded again (after not hearing them for a while) that just means that rather than being near the bottom of my list of "Post-Drama albums", Keys (well, Keys 2 anyways) moved up to somewhere in the middle of the pack.

I prefer THIS listening order:
    Mind Drive
    Foot Prints
    Be The One
    That, That Is
    Bring Me To The Power
    Sign Language
    Children Of Light

It flows like a vinyl, with MD on side 1, FP and BTO on side 2, TTI on Side 3, and the rest on side 4. It's a great running order and I love opening with "Mind Drive".

Thanks ! I'll try it. Have listened to it all today...the SOUND is there, Jon's recorded well, Steve and Alan sound great...Rick is Rick....I have yet to decide how much real substance there is I guess :-)

'Keystudio' is my favourite CD from Yes' back-catalogue..

The Keystudio stuff is lower on the chart for me than even Union is. As a matter of fact, although there's a couple of decent parts in a couple of pieces, OYE was more cohesive and better done than this. Sorry to those who like it, but it sounds like sketchpads of snippets, never finished, but thrown together to make a "product" prematurely.

KTA was overall disappointing. The fact that they re-recorded almost all the live material, squashing any energy or life out of it, combined with the lacklustre new material, made it an ominous harbinger of things to come...
    Gnish-gnosh borble wiff, shlauuffin oople tirk.

'Mind Drive' has a feel that I hear in older Yes, an outdoorsiness or something. I really like that, and the first half of 'Bring Me To The Power'. Those to me are maybe their best material since 'Going For The One' - well about 3 tracks from the ABWH are right up there too (Themes, BOM, Quartet). Great stuff there. Footprints is another good one. I'm not so much into Children of the Light, but that's just me.

I love KTA, especially Part 2. "Bring Me to the Power" is one of my favorite latter-era-Yes songs, Howe is all over that piece.

I'm continually surprised that not more fans are gaga over KTA, especially those that want a "return to form". This was it! For one brief moment, Yes actually approached their song forms again like they did in the 70's and did a pretty decent job of it in my estimation. The fact that it was totally covered up by Open Your Eyes, tacked on with live tracks and split into 2 parts, and for the most part ignored in their live shows, is just par for the course of Yes'/management's poor career choices. But I would think fans would have loved this. I guess some of you don't. But if not, and if you don't like OYE, The Ladder or Magnification either, then why does Yes keep getting the most threads and pages here at PE? Most haters should've just given up a long time ago and moved on.

For my part, I like ALL Yes albums to some degree, and I liked the shorter songs of The Ladder, and love the orchestration and pieces featured on Magnification, and even FFH is okay even though too much Horn/Downes writing on it. But for retro-Yes, I think KTA is a successful "venture".

In hindsight, the material is (mostly) better than ABWH. That's really the best thing to say about it. I prefer Magnification myself.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    I love That that is.
    It's nice to hear others give this some praise. I've always really liked the two studio tracks on Keys 1. Although as I've mentioned before, Jon didn't exactly show how hip he was when using "Shirley" as the name of a modern woman in the lyrics. Shirley? Nobody these days is named Shirley, Jon. (save the Leslie Neilsen jokes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    I did see them on the Drama tour actually. To hear Trevor Horn try to sing Yours Is No Disgrace will haunt me forever :-)
    Not as much as it haunts him, to hear him tell it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    the only one I really dislike is "Be the one", which does nothing for me
    The first section is just okay. But I really love that middle 'Humankind' section. Very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    In hindsight, the material is (mostly) better than ABWH.
    The thing with ABWH for me is that I love the first five tracks or so, and then suddenly things take a horrific turn with "Quartet" and "Order Of The Universe". So my version of that album is excellent but close to EP length.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I listened to Brother Of Mine recently and liked it more than I remembered. The rest of the album, not so much

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Although as I've mentioned before, Jon didn't exactly show how hip he was when using "Shirley" as the name of a modern woman in the lyrics. Shirley? Nobody these days is named Shirley, Jon.
    I'm at the office now, and the very next email I received after reading this message was from someone named Shirley.

ETA: She didn't mention anything about being strung out on crack time, though.

[QUOTE=Rand Kelly;33302]
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post

Footprints and Bring Me to the Power are, IMHO, as good as anything that had come prior

I agree here and iirc, I saw Yes play these 2 in San Francisco with Igor on keyboards.

If only!

Our beloved affirmatives never attempted these two songs live, sadly

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

They do at least a bit of Footprints here:

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Ya really think that counts?

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    But I would think fans would have loved this. I guess some of you don't. But if not, and if you don't like OYE, The Ladder or Magnification either, then why does Yes keep getting the most threads and pages here at PE?
    Because their classic period is better than anyone else's?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    ?? so Yes's "Classic" period (which itself is undefinable), is better than the undefinable "Classic" periods of Rush, or The Who or King Crimson? I know, i know...to you the classic periods are the decade of the 70's of those bands. To a lot of fans, the classic period might be the 80's when radio and video play was high and arenas were filled.

Quote Originally Posted by Beebfader View Post
    Is it the last hurrah of the (second) classic line-up?
    The last hurrah is a good way of describing the Keys to Ascension albums. My only complaint is that the keyboard solo in Close to the Edge is sanitised to death.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Banned
    wouldn't the so-called last hurrah of the so-called second classic line-up been in 2004?

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    ?? so Yes's "Classic" period (which itself is undefinable), is better than the undefinable "Classic" periods of Rush, or The Who or King Crimson? I know, i know...to you the classic periods are the decade of the 70's of those bands. To a lot of fans, the classic period might be the 80's when radio and video play was high and arenas were filled.

You're so cute.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    To a lot of fans, the classic period might be the 80's when radio and video play was high and arenas were filled.
    I guess a lot of those people never really heard their previous work. I'm pretty sure most people who took the chance of listening to their 1970s albums ended up liking those better. Certainly that's what happened in my case.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You're so cute.
    better not to reply if you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by dpt3 View Post
    Wow, that was pretty cool. Chris was really getting into it -- that is missed. It's really a shame that lineup couldn't hold it together.

Ah well, we all move on...

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I listened to Brother Of Mine recently and liked it more than I remembered. The rest of the album, not so much
    Say what? Brother of Mine is an ABWH song.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Dreamer View Post
    Say what? Brother of Mine is an ABWH song.
    Uh, yeah? That's what we we talking about; read the posts above that.