Page 46 of 59 FirstFirst ... 3642434445464748495056 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 1451

Thread: Major League Baseball - 2016 Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Historic choke by the Giants.
    Bullpen was their weakness after June. Found some luck the last two weeks of the season but you can't hide it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion81 View Post
    Bullpen was their weakness after June. Found some luck the last two weeks of the season but you can't hide it forever.
    I don't follow the Giants so I don't know their players, but shouldn't they have brought Moore out to start the 9th? Especially with the bullpen problems? I know he threw 120 pitches, but unless he told the coach that he couldn't go any more, I think you need to at least start the inning with him.

Indians have announced Cory Kluber as Game 1 starter, and Trevor Bauer as Game 2 starter. Good "best laid plans" move by Tito. Bauer is the number 5 starter, but much better to have him start at home than on the road, if possible.

Well, my Giants are out and I don't like any of the NL teams still in, so I'm going to cheer for the Blue Jays on the AL side just for the hell of it.

Giants have had bullpen problems all summer, most notably after the All-Star break. I hope they can find a solution to this dilemma before next season. Maybe the Angels will give us Timmy back. Our "Even Year" thing is over now. Maybe we will have better luck with an "Odd Year" thing.

Go, Blue Jays!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Indians have announced Cory Kluber as Game 1 starter, and Trevor Bauer as Game 2 starter. Good "best laid plans" move by Tito. Bauer is the number 5 starter, but much better to have him start at home than on the road, if possible.
    It's a bit of a lack of choices as well, don't you think? Kluber is the obvious pick to pitch games 1/5/7 or 1/4/7 depending on circumstances. Bauer does make a better choice for home, agreed. Then Tomlin. I just read Clevinger will start game 4. That's scraping the barrel for sure. But that's what is going to really make it difficult for them to survive through the WS. Since Carrasco is out and Salazar may play a bullpen role (or spot start) in a best case scenario, I think the Indians' offense needs to really stay on track if they are to survive this series.

This will be a fun series.

Oh, and go Nats tonight.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

[QUOTE=Poisoned Youth;627437]It's a bit of a lack of choices as well, don't you think? [QUOTE]

Well, he could start Tomlin in Game 2 at home, and start his head case on the road in Game 3 in front of a house full of people going bonkers. Hargrove and Wedge would have done that, since Tomlin is the 4 and Bauer the 5.
    But as I said before, I don't follow baseball much anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post

just read Clevinger will start game 4. That's scraping the barrel for sure.
    First I've seen that, but it makes no sense to me. I haven't checked the schedule, but wouldn't Game 4 be Kluber's regular turn in the rotation? 1-4-7 as you said?

Why run both games tonight at the same time, especially with one team in each game from California.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Ed - HUH???

Game 5 of the NLDS between WASHINGTON & LAD is tonight.

Game 1 of the ALCS between TORONTO & CLEVELAND is tomorrow night.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ed - HUH???

Look at tonight's sporting schedule, not just baseball.

First I've seen that, but it makes no sense to me. I haven't checked the schedule, but wouldn't Game 4 be Kluber's regular turn in the rotation? 1-4-7 as you said?
    There was a time and place where this would be the case. It's not so much anymore. In fact the last time I can recall a pitcher starting 3 games in a 7 game series was C.C. Sabathia when he was with the Brew crew and perhaps Bum did it. Truth is that GMs are so protective of their pitching investments that their long term health wins over short term plans.

But since Francona has no legit #4 starter, you would think he would consider it. And I would have to bet that if the Indians are down 3-0 or maybe 2-1, they would trot Kluber out there for game 4.

Anyway, you may see this change over time. The plan for the 1st 3 games is sound. The pressure will really end up being on Tomlin quite frankly.

^ As I said, I haven't checked the schedule and done the math, but with days off for change of location, wouldn't 1-4-7 keep him away from pitching on 3 days rest? His regular turn, in other words.

I think Kluber will have to pitch 3 games in the WS for the Indians to win, and possibly the ALCS as well.

^ As I said, I haven't checked the schedule and done the math, but with days off for change of location, wouldn't 1-4-7 keep him away from pitching on 3 days rest? His regular turn, in other words.

I think Kluber will have to pitch 3 games in the WS for the Indians to win, and possibly the ALCS as well.
    Regular rotation is 4 or 5 days of rest. Looking at the schedule, it would be 3 days rest for game 4 and 3 for game 7. A rain out of game 2/3 or game 5/6 would be a Godsend.

But you strategize to assume you are winning. So you trot out Clevinger in game 4 because you are assuming you'll be ahead. But I totally believe Francona will go Kluber in 4 if they are facing elimination.

Anyway, should be a fun series.

There's been a few cases of an ace going three times in a seven game series. Jack Morris threw ten innings in Game 7 of the '91 series, his third start that series. Then again, they don't make guys like Morris anymore.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Why run both games tonight at the same time, especially with one team in each game from California.
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Ed - HUH???

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Look at tonight's sporting schedule, not just baseball.

Yeah, there's an NFL game in San Diego vs. The Broncos. What does MLB have to do with the NFL??

There are many instances where local games overlap from MLB, NBA and NHL -- especially in California. Besides, arenas/stadiums are usually booked months in advance.

I don't see any problem with that.

They scheduled the Dodgers game at the same time as the Broncos/Chargers so the refs in the football game could cheat to let the Chargers win, thereby bumping the Ravens out of the wild card race. Everyone will be watching baseball so it's a brilliant diversion!

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I don't follow the Giants so I don't know their players, but shouldn't they have brought Moore out to start the 9th? Especially with the bullpen problems? I know he threw 120 pitches, but unless he told the coach that he couldn't go any more, I think you need to at least start the inning with him.
    I think he was done. Bochy has won 3 WS so I won't second guess him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Yeah, there's an NFL game in San Diego vs. The Broncos. What does MLB have to do with the NFL??

There are many instances where local games overlap from MLB, NBA and NHL -- especially in California. Besides, arenas/stadiums are usually booked months in advance.

I don't see any problem with that.
    The Chargers keep claiming LA as their territory but nobody north of Escondido really cares.

You might like this but I'm way behind and it might already have been posted.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...-voice-stories

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/1...stories-extras
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Nats post season woes continue. Congrats L.A. Great game. Long enough for me to watch the Rangers (NHL) win their home/season opener vs. the Isles, have a nice meal, catch up on some tunes etc, etc. and not miss a pitch in that hour plus long 7th. Cubs series should be a doozy. Chi in 6.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Epic game for the ages for the Dodgers. Hope they have something left for the Cubs.

Sending Werth was as idiotic as Blowalter bringing in Noballsdo in the 13th with a Cy Young reliever on the bench. The coaching staff costs both of these teams all the time.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Trevor Bauer can't make his game 2 start because he cut his hand playing around with a drone.

Pitching duel - spellbinding for true fans - nightmare for TV networks
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And just like that, I'm wrong