Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball - 2016 Discussion

RIP Joe Garagiola age 90.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I read that earlier today. They said he grew up across the street from Yogi Berra. They anticipated him to be a better player than Yogi.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

MLB posted Garagiola's speech from 1991 when he received the Ford C. Frick award in Cooperstown.

"Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

If anyone checks out spring training highlights etc. for today, you will witness in the Mets-Astros game a textbook example of why Cespides's stupidity & cluelessness may ultimately trump his unquestioned ability (top of 2nd with Cespides on defense in CF).
    Last edited by progeezer; 03-24-2016 at 01:51 PM.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

He looked like a real genius out there.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The ump's reaction is priceless.

Cespedes should not be playing centerfield. It's not quite as bad as putting Hanley Ramirez in the OF, or keeping Sandoval at third, but, man, it's up there.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post

Cespedes should not be playing centerfield. It's not quite as bad as putting Hanley Ramirez in the OF, or keeping Sandoval at third, but, man, it's up there.
    He'll be in center except when he's d.h.'ing. Unfortunately that won't happen often this season. He does have a great arm. And to be fair he had a flashback where he thought he was in Wrigley.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

This Giants fan is ready for some baseball!!! Let the season begin already! I am hoping to get to the Bay this summer to see a couple games. (Affordable on Amtrak!) I love ATT Park and I love my team! We have some new pitchers and I am interested in seeing how they tick. So far so good with the Spring Training stats. I hope Matt Cain can stick out the whole season this time.

So sad!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I guess the Orioles dodged a bullet when he signed with the Mets.
    Last edited by Shadow; 03-24-2016 at 09:20 PM.

Garry Shandling died.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Saw that watching highlights. Had to be fun walking back into the dugout after that one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I wonder if the AL east will be like the O's/Bosox 16-8 game yesterday. Starting pitching is so bad that the teams score at will and whoever has the best bullpen performance that day wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wonder if the AL east will be like the O's/Bosox 16-8 game yesterday. Starting pitching is so bad that the teams score at will and whoever has the best bullpen performance that day wins.
    I think it will be a free-for-all. I can't speak to all the teams, but I will state that the Yankees' starters are surprisingly good so far. Sure, it's Spring and I fully expect one to be on the DL by May. But, their starters could be one of the surprises in the AL East. Their bullpen is scary.

It's not quite as bad as putting Hanley Ramirez in the OF, or keeping Sandoval at third, but, man, it's up there.
    Well, I think the conventional wisdom was is Manny Ramirez could handle LF at Fenway, Hanley could. It's moot now anyway because Hanley will be playing 1B and likely DH after Papi retires. Panda they'll just let frolic in the snow.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I think it will be a free-for-all. I can't speak to all the teams, but I will state that the Yankees' starters are surprisingly good so far. Sure, it's Spring and I fully expect one to be on the DL by May. But, their starters could be one of the surprises in the AL East. Their bullpen is scary.
    It could potentially be a year where all AL East teams finish at or above .500. It almost happened last season. It's a hard division to predict when all 5 teams could be competitive.

This is one of my predictions. The D-backs will upset the Dodgers and Giants to win the National League West.

Wow, baseball is less than 48 hours away and you'd think it was December based on the level of excitment here.

Sandoval benched by Red Sox, who give Shaw third-base job

Oh, I'm itching to get started. The Twins are predicted to descend to last place by a lot of prognosticators and I'm sure Molitor is going use this to drive his youngsters. We won't push past the Royals but this team could hit the wild card if everyone stays healthy.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

On Monday, the Reds start their "Quest for Mathematical Elimination"
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    On Monday, the Reds start their "Quest for Mathematical Elimination"
    They sure as hell won't be as successful on that quest as the Brewers.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think I can speak for most of Twins Territory that we welcome the new shift in power in our interleague rivalry. Too bad we only meet up in April.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I think you might very well be mistaken on this one. However, I do hope you are correct!
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Wow, baseball is less than 48 hours away and you'd think it was December based on the level of excitment here.

Sandoval benched by Red Sox, who give Shaw third-base job
    Passive aggressive Sox put downs, 6 months of people talking only about their teams, classic old debates (to DH or not), and conspiracy Orioles rants to bide time before Ravens rant season begins. Nothing new here.

Get back to me when there's an actual discussion about baseball lol.

I'm more excited about my fantasy team.