Page 2 of 59 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Major League Baseball - 2016 Discussion

Did the O's sign Gallardo, Ed?
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Did the O's sign Gallardo, Ed?
    From what I gather yes.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

30-game suspension for Chapman.

There will never be a team weirder than the Rockies. It'll get even weirder when they are the first team to abandon the traditional notion of having five starters, each starter pitching around 6-7 innings a start, shooting for 180+ innings a year in favor of a system that only allows each pitcher to see the line-up twice (at most).

Oddly enough (weird, remember) they will still refuse to trade their aging and often hurt stars despite the fact that they have little opportunity to compete, and they will continue to sign a surplus of OFs. Every year they will do this.

Luckily, the stadium will be so empty that you can find a corner in the upper stands to smoke weed in.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Rockies also raised their outfield fences.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Curt Schilling really doesn't want to stay employed by ESPN, does he? Setting his politics aside, he really is as dumb as a rock.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Setting his politics aside, he really is as dumb as a rock.
    Don't set them aside, and the rock is something he should aspire to.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

GO EXPOS!
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Crazy, but really cool story.

All right.

Cooperstown trip set for 4 July weekend, and Braves/Phils in Philly set for 6 July on the drive back home. Any suggestions for Cooperstown and/or Philly, guys?

Driving in the car yesterday afternoon. There's still snow on the ground from a weekend storm here in Northeastern Massachusetts. I turn on the radio & the station is re-broadcasting a Red Sox baseball game. Heaven!

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, a Red Sox fan. It was baseball!
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Driving in the car yesterday afternoon. There's still snow on the ground from a weekend storm here in Northeastern Massachusetts. I turn on the radio & the station is re-broadcasting a Red Sox baseball game. Heaven!

Disclaimer: I am not, nor have I ever been, a Red Sox fan. It was baseball!
    Yep it was nice to see some play over the weekend. It's here, boys!

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    All right.

Cooperstown trip set for 4 July weekend, and Braves/Phils in Philly set for 6 July on the drive back home. Any suggestions for Cooperstown and/or Philly, guys?
    Cooperstown is a great little trip. Such a neat town. You'll really enjoy it, Matt.

Hit me up about Philly when the time is closer.

Heading to spring training.

Orioles To Sign Pedro Alvarez

One of the top pitching prospects in the Boston Red Sox organization will not be throwing for a while thanks to an unfortunate and immature incident.

Michael Kopech, who started 15 games at Single-A Greenville last year and had an impressive 2.63 ERA, was spotted with a cast on his throwing hand at spring training Tuesday. Red Sox general manager Mike Hazen confirmed in a text message to WEEI.com that Kopech fractured his hand in a recent altercation with a teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    One of the top pitching prospects in the Boston Red Sox organization will not be throwing for a while thanks to an unfortunate and immature incident.

Michael Kopech, who started 15 games at Single-A Greenville last year and had an impressive 2.63 ERA, was spotted with a cast on his throwing hand at spring training Tuesday. Red Sox general manager Mike Hazen confirmed in a text message to WEEI.com that Kopech fractured his hand in a recent altercation with a teammate.
    These guys are signed for their brains. Just like the infamous Brien Taylor the Yankees signed. He was a "future star" for their rotation, only to throw it all away in a bar fight.

How does one "keep analytics close to the vest"? I mean, the numbers are out there for everyone to see. That's kind of why they're empirical evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    How does one "keep analytics close to the vest"? I mean, the numbers are out there for everyone to see. That's kind of why they're empirical evidence.
    He let the world think that the Phillies were relative Neanderthals when it comes to analytics and advanced statistics, when in fact (according to Amaro ), they were on top of this the whole time, despite not having a statistician on staff until a year or two ago.

Orioles have first win of season.

Wins don't matter at this time, as you know. (Otherwise, I'd be rubbing your nose in it. )Yes, I suppose there's an element of pride in it. But, it's more about getting ready for the games that matter, trying out the prospects, finalizing the roster and, most of all, staying healthy.

No, wins don't matter at all at this time of year.

That said, I'm enjoying how the young Phillies are playing. I hope this hitting and youthful enthusiasm last all season long.

Here's a fun video of Jose Bautista goofing with the Phillie Phanatic:

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    There's still snow on the ground from a weekend storm here in Northeastern Massachusetts. I turn on the radio & the station is re-broadcasting a Red Sox baseball game. Heaven!
    A relative was a life-long sports-hater but for some reason about 15 years before she passed away she decided that she liked baseball and started following the Sox. One December day she and her husband were driving around listening to the game, and they went into a store to do some shopping. When they came out, the game wasn't on the radio anymore, so when they were in another store a few minutes later, she asked someone in the store if he knew who won today's Red Sox game. He looked at her funny and said, "Lady, it's December!".