Thread: Paul Rodgers !

Paul Rodgers !

Whilst most ageing vocalists lose their range, this guy is as good as ever !
    Which part of his career stands out for you ...Fee, Bad Company , The Firm , solo or a fan of all his work ?

Banned
    Paul still kills it in concert. I love when he comes around. He's also still fit as hell.

I always loved "Fee."

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

PR has kept his vocal chops together better than MANY front men who shall remain nameless. No dropping octaves yet for him.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

I've seen Paul twice in the past year or so and he hasn't lost a thing.

I love Free and Bad Co.

Banned
    FEE Waybill also hasn't lost anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    I just saw the Tubes last Friday night and Fee was straining and off key on a couple of tunes. It may have just been an off night though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Which part of his career stands out for you?
    Free, a tuff little band (with props to Andy Fraser)....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

one of the great rock singers . i like some of the Free stuff; mostly the heartbreaker stuff. like the bad company stuff especially their first two rekkids.i saw the Firm back in the day and while they were ok they just seemed out of place since they were mostly hand picked they didn't really deliver on the hype and promise of what could have been imo , they should have been killer but don't know whay they didn't do well .

meimjustalawnmower

When I was young and taste was a relative thing, I preferred Bad Company. Now I prefer Free. YMMV.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Lawnboy posted Mr. Big, a tune I covered in 2 different bands. Were I to try to sing it in its written key now, paramedics would need to be standing by.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

The guy still makes it seem effortless. I can listen to just about anything he sings, except blues. Too white.

Although I love Fee I don't think I would agree with your statement. I saw the Tubes summer before last and have also seen Fee in a production of the Rocky Horror Show and Spamalot within the past year. He still has a good voice, but it is not quite at the same level that it was in his younger years IMO.

Steve Sly

He's one of my favorite rock vocalists of all time. One of the few English rockers who's rooted in soul and blues who does it very convincingly. I only have one frome each band (Free, Bad Co.) Fire & Water, and Bad Co. I've always preferred Free a lot more than Bad Co. The difference was mainly Paul Kossof. Really, I've only ever heard Fire & Water. Someday I'll get around to exploring the whole discography.

Several years ago I caught Paul Rogers at one of those cheap, corndog, state fair type shows. Must've been 2003-4 because it was right before he joined Queen. His career must've been on the skids or something. But he was great. The man loves performing. He was all smiles and he took command of the stage. He played all the big Bad Co. and Free hits. To me, "All Right Now" is a huge rock anthem. Makes me wanna put on some bell bottoms.

Regarding Bad Company, the debut & Straight Shooter are stone cold rock classics IMO. Whilst they continued to have massive success, esp. stateside I thought there was a drop in quality in subsequent releases.

I thought he did a great job on the Queen songs & sang them in his own unigue style rather than imitating Freddie.

There was a live CD from a show released in 1975, saw in HMV but can't find it anywhere now. Was this quickly deleted ???

Yep, this guy still has the pipes & one of the greatest rock singers of his generation !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Although I love Fee I don't think I would agree with your statement. I saw the Tubes summer before last and have also seen Fee in a production of the Rocky Horror Show and Spamalot within the past year. He still has a good voice, but it is not quite at the same level that it was in his younger years IMO.

Steve Sly
    does anyone perform the way they did in their younger years? (not just talking about music either). I've seen them in New Hope PA a few times and each time, it's a super super show.

does anyone perform the way they did in their younger years?
    Well...Paul Rodgers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Well...Paul Rodgers.
    well played..

The band he had some years ago with Neal Schon absolutely killed, and Rodgers sang his ass off. Their medley of Stone Free/Third Stone From The Sun/I Feel Free was so hip. A unapologetic ROCK band.....
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes