Thread: Bands you love, you never got to see them live and you learn years later...

Bands you love, you never got to see them live and you learn years later...

...they played in your hometown/country...

...I just learned UK played in Puerto Rico in 1979, the trio version, I was 6

UK.jpg
    I live in an ephemeral eternity

I can't relate as I've seen all that was possible to see when funds were available. I was just fascinated by your long thread title and long site name.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

This topic would mainly apply to younger members. In my case, my regrets are not seeing bands I love when they were in their prime and I knew they were in my area -- Jethro Tull, Horslips, Angel, Rockpile and Raven come to mind...
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

I had the chance once to see Ray Charles at a tiny venue on the Washington coast (Ocean Shores) and because I would have had to see him with my Dad, I said "no" - Stupid stupid stupid - But I was 13-14 at he time and I really didnt have any kind of relationship with him. I think he thought he was being hip to suggest it. My whole life may have turned out different if only I'd seen Ray Charles in Ocean Shores Washington... As it turned out, I loved my dad, but things werent very good between us in 1973.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Well, a little e different, but I was in Dublin in 1984 with a friend, and if we'd stayed a couple more nights and he'd been more into going to live music, we could have seen Queen, and also Don McLean, which would have been interesting.

Also, while I've seen Marillion a lot, I apparently missed a couple of early shows I could have gone to. I got into them shortly after seeing them open for Rush at Radio City Music Hall in 1983, then didn't see them again until 1987 in Rochester, NY. So I missed a couple of Fish-era shows after 1983 in NYC, and also another in Rochester.

Then I saw them in Syracuse and NYC on both the Seasons End and Holidays in Eden tours, but somehow I missed another leg of at least one of those tours where they played in NYC another time. Being in college (in Syracuse) I was a bit out of touch with NYC shows, and there was no real internet yet, or fan club or anything.

Groundhogs, '74-ish
    Nucleus, '70 or '71
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Too many to count or list, unfortunately
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

One that just recently came to mind is David Bowie. He played our little hockey arena here in Kalamazoo in the late 70’s. I think it was the “Station To Station” tour, but not totally sure on that. It was just slightly before my concert going days started, and he never came back anywhere within 2 hours of me.

Another one that stands out was a double bill of Echolyn and Discipline. They played together in a club in my hometown, just before I discovered bands like this still existed. I have seen them both since then other places, but still can’t believe I let this show pass me by. Neither band has ever played here again.

There are quite a few legends who played my hometown, who when I was young I would not give the time of day, but today wish I had gone to see them. Elvis played here about a month before he died, Frank Sinatra (my parents went), and the one I really regret was Buddy Rich. My parents tried to get me to go with them, but I was too young and stupid and passed.

Led Zeppelin at the Fillmore, 1969. I was 11. Screw me

Genesis' first US gig was at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA on Dec. 11, 1972, literally one mile from my house.

Unfortunately, I was only 2 years old at the time...
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Queen

This happened to me more recently. I had become aware of Oceansize around 2005 and had heard Frames, but I got heavily into them after the release of Self Preserved... (2010) and bought all of their catalogue. They then broke up in Feb 2011 meaning I would never see them live (by all accounts they are *extremely* unlikely to re-form). I then found out that they had previously toured Australia (including my home town Brisbane) in June 2009 (supporting Cog). Sigh.

PS - For those who may be interested - Cog have re-formed for a few Australian shows.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    aero.jpg
    Aerosmith...
    I don't care about them anymore, but this happened at my high school when I was in junior high and my first concert was them, 3 years later at Boston Garden. That was also the last year that they put out a good album, IMO.

I ended up seeing some of my fav bands after their prime, but I was old enough to have seen them in their big years. Floyd w/o Waters, ABWH not Yes, the Moodies after Moraz (I know, But I like the stuff after Pinder better), Genesis after Hackett(not quite old enough to have seen the Lamb and PG). Tangerine Dream after Schmoelling left. I enjoyed all of those shows, but I feel I missed something in not seeing them earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Led Zeppelin at the Fillmore, 1969. I was 11. Screw me

HA !!!....LZ Played in my home town of Asbury Park NJ the Weekend of Woodstock...I too was only 11......yeah, screw me too.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by noisynoise View Post
    Genesis' first US gig was at Brandeis University in Waltham, MA on Dec. 11, 1972, literally one mile from my house.

Unfortunately, I was only 2 years old at the time...
    Recently learned they also played at Seton Hall University in South Orange NJ, literally a half-mile from my home in Vailsburg (Newark), 3/31/73 (Foxtrot tour)...I was 13 but ignorant.