Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Tom Waits

Back in the 70's FM stations used to broadcast a lot of concerts. When Tom would come to the Philly area he always played clubs like the Main Point and my local station WMMR used to broadcast him. There's a lot of good radio shows of early Tom out there. My first experience of hearing him was during his Heart of Saturday Night tour at the Main Point. I didn't know what to expect when it was broadcasted live so I didn't record it. Several years later they had a weekend of all live broadcasts playing and I finally got some of the show on tape. His banter between song was hilarious and just as good as the music itself. Tom went through that period of acoustic jazz at that time and I loved the Nighthawks, Small Change, Foreign Affairs albums, but was very disappointed when Blue Valentines came out with electric guitar and organ on it. Over time I grew to love Blue Valentines as one of my favorites of his. Tom's gone through changes throughout his career and I can see where he would have fans of just certain periods of his career. I find something to enjoy on all of his styles.

Blue Valentyne is great LP, rarely mentioned. His most popular stuff came out in the 80s, and the earlier albums still a bit overshadowed by glory of Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombone, Franks Wild Years...

Blue Valentines is great. that and Small Change are great. My first Waits album was Heartattack and Vine, which I still love, but I think BV is my favorite. what I've heard of the Orphans album is great too.

Mule Variations - such an amazing record. Oh man, I love this album.

There's poison underneath the sink
    Of course... But there's also
    Enough formaldehyde to choke
    A horse... What's he building
    In there. What the hell is he
    Building in there?

We've got a right to know...

Tom Waits binge. Random order. Blood Money and Swordfish in the car

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    All or most of his catalog has gotten the remastering treatment, but I've heard that Real Gone has been somewhat radically remixed as well.

Anyone who has both versions care to comment on whether it's worthwhile getting the remix when you already own the original?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    All or most of his catalog has gotten the remastering treatment, but I've heard that Real Gone has been somewhat radically remixed as well.

Anyone who has both versions care to comment on whether it's worthwhile getting the remix when you already own the original?
    I like to hear that as well. Real Gone has some great songs but I never was a fan of the way it sounds. It could use some 'warmth'.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I like to hear that as well. Real Gone has some great songs but I never was a fan of the way it sounds. It could use some 'warmth'.
    Dude(s) - it is essentially a new album. I am just hearing it for the first time on Spotify and the difference is pretty staggering. Things are "easier" to hear and there are details (instruments and textures) that are now popping out, previously buried before. It seems to also have a better overall master - if he even mastered it - but its just fuller sounding without losing the edge. I am either ordering the disc or possibly the vinyl - I am getting my turntable rig running this summer. I'd say if you enjoyed the album before, you will like it way more than before.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I don't have much to add to this, except I think "Time" is a lovely song. Understated, and the cryptic lyrics just add to the feeling of soft melancholy. It's so good that when I heard Tori Amos cover it -- even though I think she is a better singer -- I thought it lost a lot of its power and elegant majesty.

"Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    I don't have much to add to this, except I think "Time" is a lovely song. Understated, and the cryptic lyrics just add to the feeling of soft melancholy. It's so good that when I heard Tori Amos cover it -- even though I think she is a better singer -- I thought it lost a lot of its power and elegant majesty.
    Do you own Rain Dogs the album? Its one of my fav albums by anybody EVER, well at least through track 13 ("Gun Street Girl"), then unfortunately it has a few missteps which I think is rare for TW. But at its best (including "Time"), its a masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I love that song. And I have a few of those neighbors. Don't get me started on the hillbillies across the street.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Dude(s) - it is essentially a new album. I am just hearing it for the first time on Spotify and the difference is pretty staggering. Things are "easier" to hear and there are details (instruments and textures) that are now popping out, previously buried before. It seems to also have a better overall master - if he even mastered it - but its just fuller sounding without losing the edge. I am either ordering the disc or possibly the vinyl - I am getting my turntable rig running this summer. I'd say if you enjoyed the album before, you will like it way more than before.
    Will have to check it out. Pretty sure I don't own this one (for whatever reason).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Does anyone have a radio concert broadcasted in Philadelphia from the heart of Saturday night tour? I think it was from the main point. I have a partial of the show I believe. Only about half an hour but would like to find the entire show if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucky Man
    This has always been my summary of Small Change, my own personal favorite Tom:

The greatest it's 4am and I've been drinking all day album ever recorded.

Funny, poignant, sad, angry. Beautiful stuff, great commentaries on the human condition.

..."...his headstone's a gumball machine..."

...from the title track, gets me every time.

The Piano Has Been Drinking, the ultimate bad gig song. "The piano tuner's got a hearing aid, and he showed up with his mother." Cracks me out every time.

Bad Liver And A Broken Heart, my favorite tune on my favorite Tom recording, which in some weird way I cannot quite identify, I find I quite identify with.

Love Small Change.

Many years ago he did an appearance on Fernwood Tonight and Martin Mull made sport of him. My estimation of Mr. Mull diminished considerably.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankh View Post
    This has always been my summary of Small Change, my own personal favorite Tom:

The greatest it's 4am and I've been drinking all day album ever recorded.

Funny, poignant, sad, angry. Beautiful stuff, great commentaries on the human condition.

..."...his headstone's a gumball machine..."

...from the title track, gets me every time.

The Piano Has Been Drinking, the ultimate bad gig song. "The piano tuner's got a hearing aid, and he showed up with his mother." Cracks me out every time.

Bad Liver And A Broken Heart, my favorite tune on my favorite Tom recording, which in some weird way I cannot quite identify, I find I quite identify with.

Love Small Change.

Many years ago he did an appearance on Fernwood Tonight and Martin Mull made sport of him. My estimation of Mr. Mull diminished considerably.
    If memory serves me him and Martin Mull were good friends and Fernwood Tonight was a mock talk show. It was all a put on.

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    If memory serves me him and Martin Mull were good friends and Fernwood Tonight was a mock talk show. It was all a put on.
    Ahh, well...always been an easy mark...
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Quote Originally Posted by jazz2896 View Post
    I've recently started listening to Tom Waits after years of reading nothing but positive, glowing reviews about nearly all the material he has ever put out. I finally picked up on the fact that he was heavily inspired by Captain Beefheart, and that made me decide to finally take the plunge, and you know what? I can't say I'm a huge fan of his work.
    To me, a lot of it sounds very insincere, and while there are a few songs here and there which I do quite enjoy, the majority of his work, to me, ends up sounding like a forced Captain Beefheart impression over basic blues backing tracks. Does anybody else share this opinion?
    A little late to the party, but I share the same sentiments, and god knows I tried-
    I have about 5 albums from him, even saw him live (which was real meh- after all the hype about his live shows, I didn't expect a straight rendition of the albums with the occasional banter)
    My favourite guitar player is Marc Ribot, one of my favourite artists ever is Captain Beefheart, one of my favourite composers is Harry Partch, and still apart for the occasional song here and there nothing really clicked.
    Don't know if phony is the right word (perhaps too harsh), but for me his vocals are just unconvincing.

Back on a Waits binge/journey. Loving him more than ever. Really loving Alice and Brawlers, Bawlers, and Bastards this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    A little late to the party, but I share the same sentiments, and god knows I tried-
    I have about 5 albums from him, even saw him live (which was real meh- after all the hype about his live shows, I didn't expect a straight rendition of the albums with the occasional banter)
    My favourite guitar player is Marc Ribot, one of my favourite artists ever is Captain Beefheart, one of my favourite composers is Harry Partch, and still apart for the occasional song here and there nothing really clicked.
    Don't know if phony is the right word (perhaps too harsh), but for me his vocals are just unconvincing.
    Sounds like there's a few of us on here that just don't get Tom.
    I actually really want to like Tom Waits. I like his tramp/hipster persona and the sound of his voice. But, other than Ol 55, his music just does nothing for me. I've tried for years to listen to him (mostly because everyone around me agrees "he's cool"). But, I just have to admit he's just not for me.

Today is Tom's birthday. 12/7/49

Quote Originally Posted by headcrash View Post
    Today is Tom's birthday. 12/7/49
    So 71 already. Will we still get a new album from him? I hope so.

Lately I have been replaying the first few albums a lot. I always overlooked them a bit but there is some really strong stuff on those.