Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haken's fourth album "Affinity" due on 4/29/16

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    Hm. Family did that in 1969 in "From Past Archives", and I can actually think of several ensuing examples. But yeah, my comment didn't express the intended meaning at all. What I should have written was that the band has it in them to completely transcend the 'subgenre' of progressive rock they represent, and that they should emphasize their obvious eclectic potential.
    It definitely seems with how they've been advertising this next one (and with the album cover), that this album will have a more tongue-in-cheek humorous aspect, which is definitely a welcome departure from their previous albums.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

The first track is up:

Can't wait!

neil

Wow, they spent some money on that video.

Ross Jennings is really going for it with those vocals.

Cooooool.

The guys look like they're really into it.

Release it, already!

$25 for pre-order in Amazon... A bit overprised in my opinion.
    Last edited by Booba Kastorsky; 03-19-2016 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    $25 for pre-order in Amazon... A bit overprised in my opinion.
    So, pre-order it directly from the nice prog label InsideOut for much cheaper and fuck greedy Amazon! BTW, have you noticed those jerks hiked free sheeping amount to $49????

Listened to the song and it didn't change the perception which I had when listening to the teaser. Can't say I like what I've heard so far. I don't like the direction in which they're going in terms of arrangements/production. On the other hand, this is just one song so the album could be a different story. Some reviews mention that it's very different compared to the others (with a lot of 80's influences) so compliments for experimenting.

It's all very polished and clearly well played and produced but doesn't do anything for me personally I'm afraid, as I tend to like ' a good memorable tuneful song' or more symphonic 'pastoral' sounding bands, mind you I didn't like PTs more mentally stuff either and this seems to be the market for this, fair do's though it's a big market, and I know far more people here do like this sound, just not my personal taste, gives me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    It's all very polished and clearly well played and produced but doesn't do anything for me personally I'm afraid, as I tend to like ' a good memorable tuneful song' or more symphonic 'pastoral' sounding bands, mind you I didn't like PTs more mentally stuff either and this seems to be the market for this, fair do's though it's a big market, and I know far more people here do like this sound, just not my personal taste, gives me a headache.

I heard some of the same atmospherics/vibes/production style which I hear on some of Wilson's material. That's hardly something I like. This sounds very dry and plastic, I prefer how they did it on Aquarius with that more symphonic and clear sound. This sounds too soft for my liking. Also some uninspired and bland mainstreamy pop/rock/metal influences on this Haken track. And I don't mean the word "mainstream" in any bad way, that's just a reference, but the key words are uninspired and bland. And I agree that a lot of people seem to like this sound. I can't say I was over the moon with The Mountain but I liked the first single from that one (Atlas Stone) much much better than this.

The second review which I read mentioned that there are some growls which feel totally out of place and that although some of Jenning's singing is great, there are moments when his register hits the notes which are too high and it doesn't sound very good. I had this problem already on some of the previous albums. But I agree that all of this is totally subjective, as is mostly everything in arts.

I wish they had a different singer!!

This guy sounds like he using helium...
    Enjoy the moment... It's the only way to fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Tension View Post
    I wish they had a different singer!!

This guy sounds like he using helium...
    I think he is great. And he can also so cut it live! Saw Haken last autumn live in Helsinki and they were great. I was prepared to be disappointed in live vocals but the proved me wrong.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Has anyone heard it yet? It seems it's getting great reviews everywhere.

Well, I have it, lol. Hopefully I can find some time to give it a proper listen very shortly!

neil

The track "1985" is the one I like the most. It's very 80's and I love it.
    There are other 80's moments here and there.

All in all I would say this is a weak and inconsistent album.

There are some post rock influences which for me doesn't go well with the 80's stuff. This was the first time that all of the members contributed some material and it shows. The album is all over the place, it lacks focus, some songs and particularly some choruses are...how to put it...well, I thought I was listening to some mainstream radio station or songs from the cutting room floor.

I think it depends if you like post rock.

If there is one good thing about it it's that they have done something different and have gone in another direction. It's definitely not Aquarius. So a bonus point from me for not repeating themselves. It's just that the music is largely forgettable. The weakest are some of the shorter tracks and the last one ends the album on a note which doesn't correspond with what was going on before.

I have read at least a couple reviews which are mixed, saying that this probably won't be one of their best.

I went to my local Rasputin's, and they wanted $16 for this thing! I carried it around for a few minutes before putting it back. Too rich for my blood.

Then I called Dimples, they only want $12, but they're 1/2 hour away.

What to do, what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I went to my local Rasputin's, and they wanted $16 for this thing! I carried it around for a few minutes before putting it back. Too rich for my blood.

Then I called Dimples, they only want $12, but they're 1/2 hour away.

What to do, what to do.
    I wish that I had either of those options. I ordered it from Inside Out and with exchange rates and shipping, it came to $34 Canadian.

neil

I spun it for the first time tonight. First impressions are, that there is some great material on here, and some of it seems okay, and some of it just sounds.....odd. Need more time with it, for sure. One thing i know is that The Architect, all 15 minutes and 40 seconds of it, is a fucking monster track. Killer riff, after killer riff, after killer riff. If the entire album were of that quality, it would be an instant classic. I also like Initiate and 1985 quite a bit. More spins, more spins...

neil

Looks like I'll pick the new one up at ROSfest next weekend. Been a fan for quite a while, since before they played Night at the Prog in Loreley.
    I'm happy to see some people enjoyed their set at ROSfest. I loved it. I heard much too much negativity about it which bummed me out.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Giant View Post
    Looks like I'll pick the new one up at ROSfest next weekend. Been a fan for quite a while, since before they played Night at the Prog in Loreley.
    I'm happy to see some people enjoyed their set at ROSfest. I loved it. I heard much too much negativity about it which bummed me out.
    Haken, along with Spock's Beard and Sonus Umbra, were my favorite acts from last year's RoSfest. I just received the new album on Friday, but haven't had time to listen to it yet.

I noticed today that the $16 disc at Rasputin's is 2 CDs, one is the regular disc and the second is without vocals. Is this the norm, or something special?

And who do they think they are, Dream Theater?

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    And who do they think they are, Dream Theater?
    That was what I asked when I first heard Aquarium. The Mountain is really good, though, and moves into a more unique and personal direction, almost like Gentle Giant metal! I’m curious what this new album brings to the table.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That was what I asked when I first heard Aquarium. The Mountain is really good, though, and moves into a more unique and personal direction, almost like Gentle Giant metal! I’m curious what this new album brings to the table.
    I only said that because DT has released a 2-disc set with 1 disc not having vocals.

Or something like that.

So is the Haken release with 2 discs the norm, or should I get it quick because it's a limited edition?

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post

Ken, Newbury Comics is undercutting you by 12 cents, like I used to pay for comic books. ($11.88 at Newbury Comics)